“Not as terrible as reviews made out!”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Not as terrible as reviews made out!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed at the Mercure on Saturday night and decided to check out the reviews a few days beforehand. there was a flurry of very recent, very bad reviews so I was dreading my stay. Much relieved to say had a positive experience. yes OK parking is a nightmare in Brighton expecially on a weekend in July - but we got a space in the hotel. Staff were friendly, helpful and professional. Room was nothing special but freshly decorated/renovated, not stuffed to bursting with useless pieces of furniture and clean. Breakfast was fine - plenty of fresh pastries and buffet was simple but regularly topped up.

£150 a night is a lot for what you get - it's not really a 4 star hotel but it seemed to me that everyone there was trying hard to provide guests with a pleasant and relaxing stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 8757luv2travel
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear 8757luv2travel
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay – it is appreciated.
As I have mentioned in my previous responses we do strive to meet and exceed expectations of all our guests and sometimes the less than complimentary feedback is where for whatever reason we’ve not been able to do so.
I’m am too relieved that you had a positive experience and found your room to be comfortable as well as enjoying breakfast.
Accommodation rates across the City in comparable mid-market hotels are the highest on a Saturday night and regularly exceed £200 (perhaps this is where expectation levels are set?) and it looks like you o were able to take advantage of an offer for your break!
Whilst we are making constant changes and look to improve it was great to read that you experienced the team working hard has usual to give the best possible service.
Thank you once again and we hope we might see you again.
Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Korean first
Caen, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our short break in Brighton was a milestone birthday treat for my wife. And it certainly was a treat.

The Mercure is an old Victorian hotel (formerly the Norfolk) which has been taken over by Mercure and is being progressively modernised and upgraded. We had a traditional, spacious seafront room: high ceilings with original or restored plasterwork, comfortable bed and chairs, big bathroom. All spotlessly clean. The bar includes an air-conditioned sun lounge – ideal for a few cooling drinks in the middle of a heatwave.

Very helpful staff, both on arrival and during our stay – although there was only one receptionist working when we checked out; she was hard-pressed to deal with a line of customers and a string of phone calls – but maintained her charm and composure. Just what we expect from an Accor group hotel.

The only negative – as so often at all levels and types of hotel in the UK – was breakfast. Do hotel schools and training programmes teach managers to downgrade food and service standards at breakfast?
Is the policy "it's only breakfast, we can use unskilled people to cook and serve it".

It's an approach that has several serious flaws – not least, that for departing guests it will be one of their final interactions, and so likely to be remembered and recalled to friends and colleagues.

Mercure breakfast in a nutshell:
A good selection of cereals, juice and fruit made a positive first impression. However the array of chafing dishes revealed a selection of under-cooked bacon, congealed baked beans and hard fried eggs.
And I fear that guests at the other side of the room may have been injured by the shrapnel of rock-hard fried bread which exploded on first contact with a fork!

On reporting this experience to reception, we were told that there were "some maintenance issues" regarding breakfast service. So we're prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. Just for once.

Conclusion: great for a seaside break – and within walking distance of the conference centre. The main cluster of bars and restaurants around the Lanes and the Dome are further away – a £5 cab ride or thereabouts.

Room Tip: Ask for a seafront room on 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thamesider
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Thamesrider
Thank you for your most constructive and balanced review – most refreshing!
I’m glad the milestone celebration was a treat and that you received out usual level high level of friendly service.
As you note we are making improvements around the Hotel and I was pleased to read that not only did you bedroom meet you expectations, but also that it was our usual standard of cleanliness.
I too am disappointed with your observations regarding breakfast and will once again review with my team to deliver the consistent standards that other guests have experienced.
Thank you once again and we do hope you’ll be back for another ‘sea side break’ very soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

There were 2 rooms broken into during our stay in july. All i will say is make sure your doors are completely closed when u leave the room. The hotel are now blaming us for leaving the doors open as there was no forced entry and apparently a different key card hadn't been used. They say they have checked their doors and they are fully functional... strange that 2 rooms were 'accidentally' left open. Kindle, iPhone, bracelet, all gone. Seriously out of pocket!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ZD29
Dear ZD29
Thank you for your posted review.
I have already been in contact regarding the alledged incident at the Hotel.
The Hotel is fully cooperating with the local poilice and thank you for reiterating that all guests need to ensure that doors are fully closed when exiting bedrooms.
Additional measures have been put into place following these reports.
Matthew

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I chose this hotel among many from our conference list due to its brand, self-asserted recent refurbishment, location, and (crucially) price savings from the supposedly-comparable Hilton down the road. I hoped that having status with the chain would have additional benefits, but as none of these materialized, the rest of this review is of a basic stay.

Everything about this hotel was a disappointment and shambolic. Reservations and front desk had not communicated so check-in was drawn out despite smiling staff (Cat is good and in charge!). No welcome gift (advertised as part of the rate) was ever delivered, and some questioning of staff revealed that it should have been a bottle of water and a chocolate; no great loss then! The building is a decrepit old dame that Mercure have attempted to spruce up but which just looks sad. The common spaces are dark even in bright sunlight, and everywhere smells damp; floorboards creak, the lift wobbles, and the electric plumbing makes a lot of noise in the night. Unfortunately, none of this is "charming" and is more of an exhausting disappointment from what purports to be a 4-star experience.

The room was a Classic Double with Sea View which, being on the first floor, also meant a dear little patio. This would have been a nice addition to a leisure stay, and unfortunately I didn't get to take advantage of it on this business trip. However, the cost of this balcony is that there are no windows (only French doors) to open; coupled with no air conditioning anywhere in the hotel except the common spaces/bar, in effect this means that one cannot sleep with fresh air because one is so vulnerable (a concern confirmed by hospitality staff). Add to that taps that refuse to yield *cold* water and slow drains, and each day of the stay wears one down.

The only positive of the hotel is the free, abundant, and reasonably-fast WiFi. Don't bother paying for a room rate that highlights this as a benefit because it is given to all! Given the awful "flatscreen" TVs and general lack of evening activities in the area, the in-room WiFi is most welcome.

In sum, I should not have skimped and instead stayed at the Hilton (which has a better location, double-glazing, air conditioning, a fuller breakfast, and more competent service) with my American colleagues. Don't repeat my mistake.

Room Tip: Sea View is not worth it and, moreover, might compromise your room space or window availability. No...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mov1ngMaven
Dear Mov1ngMaven
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.
On a positive it was great that you highlighted the availability and usefulness of the free Wi-fi during your stay
Thank you for also highlighting the service received from the Reception desk although I am sorry that you had some frustrations upon arrival.
We are an older property and I acknowledge there’s some creaks to floorboards, and we do aim to maintain the building at the highest posible level including cleanliess.
I do appreciate your observations regarding the private balcony to your Sea view bedroom and I will personally check the operation of the ‘fan-lights’ above the french doors to ensure that these can be opened for fresh air.
It a shame that you feel you’d choose elsewhere and if your needing to return to Brighton please let us know so we can make arrangments for you personally and welcome you back with our friendly and helpful service.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was there for one night with few friends. We went out on Saturday evening and in the morning, we discovered that our valuable items were robbed: wallet, watches, phone, sunglasses.

According to the hotel management, there is no evidence of unauthorised access to our bedroom. I find it scary that they cannot figure out how someone can be robbed in the hotel.

There were no safe in the room (only safety deposit via the reception desk).

And the hotel definitely needs a renovation!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mouss29
Dear Mouss29
Thank you for your review.
As you are aware from my direct communication to you I have been personally investigating your report of the alleged incidents at the Hotel.
For the purpose of future guests I should like to confirm that any incidents such as these are treated with the utmost seriousness.
Any items of value may be offered for safekeeping via the reception desk and I remind guests to ensure that doors and windows are closed properly before leaving the Hotel.
gibraltar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

The staff are very helpful, and early booking gave us an excellent price, I remember the hotel as the Norfolk as Brighton was my home town 45 years ago.
The rooms I believe are from that era they need a serious upgrade but for 1 night wasn't the end of the world.
I'd like to say I'd be back, and if they improved the rooms & put in air conditioning I will go back in a flash, but as it is will,look for another good priced deal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank yuervtttt
Dear yuervtttt
Thank you for taking the time to write a most constructive review of your recent stay with us.
It was great to see that you received our usual high level of service and found the staff ‘very helpful’
Although none of our rooms have air conditioning all do have fans to help at the time when we have the hot spells of weather. Around 70% of our bedrooms have been completely refurbished in the past few years and the remained have all at least been decorated with new beds. I myself have been in the Hotel for the past 7 and I offer readers assurances that many many improvements have taken place certainly well after 1968 (45 years ago!)
This said we are constantly making improvements and I hope you be back before too long to see what we have been doing.
Warm regards