Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$104
$99
$209
  • Beachfront
$135
The Granville Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$127
$118
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$157
$70
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
1,960 results
All reviewssea frontbrighton seafrontboth morningsvery pleasant staypublic areascomfy beda sea view roomweekend breakcooked breakfastfull englishpierstaircase
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I managed to get this hotel as Secret Deal and also got money back via Topcashback.co.uk. If I had paid the Rack Rate for a mid-week stay I would have been really hacked off.

Check in and out was fine with knowledgeable and efficient staff. The lobby has an aura of faded glory about it. Clean and tidy but the best was behind this queen of the beach. I was half expecting a low floor no view room and that's what I got because of the rate. Not bothered as we were there for just one night and it was just somewhere to sleep, but if I had paid the full rate I would have been very, very disappointed.

Despite it being fairly cool outside, the room was warm. No aircon, but a fan was in the wardrobe. The room felt half old half new. The bed and some of the furniture was modern, but some of the wardrobes looked a bit old. The carpet was very tired and there was a step up into the bathroom where the carpet was worn down and tatty. The bathroom was ok but felt a little odd, but I guess because this was an old hotel that was probably built before en-suites were the norm, this was the best they could do.

The prices charged for wi-fi are still in the dark ages. No UK resident with a 3G phone would pay that for access. If you are from abroad, you can go to any supermarket or corner store and get a pay as you SIM card with load more access.

If I understood the little stand on our table at breakfast, it would have cost £13.99. Luckily for us it was included in the room rate. The menu lists the buffet selection and some cooked to order items, but it isn't made clear. The buffet is ok, but nothing special. The orange juice isn't fresh, but some orange juice drink product with water added. The bacon and sausages were well cooked but the pastries were a bit dried out. If breakfast isn't included in your rate, spend the time finding somewhere else that does it for less than what they charge here.

Given that this hotel isn't in the heart of the action, or even just a few minutes away I'm surprised at the rates they are charging. Yes, it's on the seafront (if you get a room with a view) but given the way the price doubles or triples for a weekend stay, I'd say save your money and get a bus or taxi if you intend to go clubbing or drinking in the centre. It's an ok hotel that Mecure have tried to shoe horn some modernity to, but without a major gutting out of the long dark and airless corridors, the tired rooms and odd bathrooms, you'd probably come away feeling short changed for the price you may have paid.

Room Tip: Don't come on the weekend or else you'll pay silly money.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fly4fun2
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear fly4fun

Thank you for your review of your recent stay.

It was great to read you received good and efficient service on arrival and departure and found the Hotel to be clean.

You are absolutely correct in your comments regarding some of the layouts of the ensuite bathrooms which are driven from the creation of facilities for each guest bedroom in the original building.

I reiterate for all future guests that complimentary Wi-Fi is available for all to access throughout the access and payment is only required if increased bandwidth is required and I am sorry if this was not clear for you during your time here.

It was disappointing that you felt a bit underwhelmed by the breakfast experience, however thank you for highlighting the positive aspects and that speciality items are available to order.

There are usually plenty of things to see and do outside of weekends where rates across all Hotels in the City represent greater value and perhaps you might be able to come back again to explore some more.

In the meantime thank you once again and we do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Like the previous travellers comments, the hotel from the outside looks lovely, is very central and on the sea front with a car park. The staff were all very helpful. However, the inside of the hotel is very tired and needs a complete refurbishment if it is going to keep its 4 * rating. Our double room was very small with only a vent window that opened two inches so thank goodness for the fan! The Fire Alarm went off before 8.00 a.m. on a Sunday Morning but all the residents emptied on the sea front in relatively good humour whilst the Fire Service was called. We were surprised that when a roll call was started the poor staff member had only been given half of the Guest List - not helpful! As the whole hotel was up and about and breakfast should have started at 8.30 the kitchen and waiting staff were hit very hard but caught up amazingly well considering! Would I stay at the hotel again, possibly not but with a refurb definitely!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dawson24

Dear Dawson24
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
It was particularly pleasing to read that you found the team to be very helpful and I was further pleased that the fans we have placed in each of the bedrooms was welcomed.
I have already responded to other reviews regarding the evacuation and further apologise both for the inconvenience and for any confusion regarding the roll call. Due to the number of guest in the Hotel overnight on Saturday the guest list was separated in half with 2 members of the team conducting the initial roll call.
Thank you also for your kind comments regarding the recovery of the team after the evacuation – it definitely put additional pressure on the teams and I’m glad this was appreciated.
We are making continual improvements, and if you’re thinking of returning to Brighton please let us know directly so we show you our progress.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked the Mercure for my anniversary, in arrival the very friendly reception staff said we had a free upgrade to a sea view room, it was brilliant!!! Massive room, 5 star view of Brighton sea front. Next day breakfast was great and they seemed to offer a very wide selection of food. Amazing stay at a really good price, will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank GD1982

Dear GD1982
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your anniversary stay with us.
It was great to read you had an ‘Amazing’ stay and enjoyed the view from your sea view bedroom.
We’ll see you next time.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Hotel is well located and boasts 4 AAStars. However the building is badly in need of a proper overhaul and renovation. We had a classic sea view room, which was adequate, although there was no aircon, no fridge, and the access was along corridors and staircases which are bizarrely closed with doors mid-flight. There is little effort at aesthetics in the hotel which is illustrated by the shoddy way in which the staircase has been butchered and fire doors poorly made,finished and badly retrofitted. The public rooms were only a bar with no lounge area,and the carpets and furniture was pretty tired. The beds were adequate - 2 singles with a topper- and the bathroom was in need of upgrading.The furniture was pretty basic with no written guide to the Hotel services or even how the TV worked.

The Spanish receptionist was excellent and all the staff seemed very efficient and friendly, although there was no sign of a doorman or porters.

Overall I would say that the hotel is overrated for the facilities it offers.

Room Tip: Probably rooms at the back are quieter???
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Boyscot
Thank you for taking the time to write a balance review of your recent stay with us.
I was genuinely pleased to read that you received our usual level of efficient and friendly service and in particular thank you for your specific mention of the receptionist.
As you highlight we are officially rated as 4* at which level air con or mini bars are not mandatory, although we do aim to provide alternatives (fans in each room) and are able to store items that require refrigeration.
Sadly the main hotel was built without regard for fire safety and in particular separation to protect guests in the Hotel and it is for this reason that there are fire doors on the main stairwell. When I joined the hotel some 7 years ago this was something I highlighted too, however it would be a real challenge to create alternative safe exit routes and at least the original balustrades remain as a feature.

I was sorry if you were challenged with the operation of the TV system in the room. The guest services directory is contained on this system, although based on your feedback I will review the menu options to see if there is anything more we can do to make this more evident.
Thank you once again and I hope that we may be of service to you sometime in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We needed to stay a night in Brighton and thought we'd give this magnificent looking seafront building a go. But like many fine old grandes dames, we found that she was presenting her best side to the cameras, and behind it all was much in need of a makeover that went more than skin deep. For one night, the £189 family room in a four star place (at least I think it said four star) seemed fine. (We would have had to pay more for breakfast, though).

It was not fine. Plus points: the staff were friendly, and the room was a good size. Whilst checking in, the receptionist expressed worryingly frank surprise at how much we'd paid (great!)

The rest? To criticise tired decor, and unadjustable lighting in a room where you're trying to get a kid to sleep without having to go to sleep yourself, sounds petty. But the windows had a single small opening fanlight each - no good when it's 26 degrees outside, and there's no aircon. A single portable fan for 3 beds was inadequate. The double glazing in the larger window was so badly blown that it was virtually opaque, and it looked sordid. A hot, sordid oven. Duvet and no separate top-sheet - in July, in Sussex! Tiny, mean smellies sat in the bathroom; there was a charge for WiFi; no minibar; and not even any biscuits and no bottled water as promised.

Unsurprisingly, we decided to go elsewhere for breakfast, even before the fire alarm went off at 7.50 am. We all trooped outside. It was a proper shout, a big red engine arriving with blues and twos. All guests sat outside for 20 minutes while whatever was the problem was put right. No-one explained what set the alarm off, or why it was now OK. More alarmingly - no pun intended - no-one checked us off from the muster roll, which is pretty basic stuff when you have a fire drill (or even a real fire).

It's not often that we feel ripped off, as opposed to just choosing badly or having unjustifiably high expectations. There's lots of posters and material inside telling us how the owners seek to maintain standards of excellence, etc., etc., blah...which of course you tend to ignore. But this time it not only felt like a rip off, but all a bit of a sad irony. This is the prettiest hotel building on Brighton's front. Can someone who cares rescue it, please?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rudyrude

Dear rudyrude
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I was pleased that you were able to highlight plus points of your stay and in particular the service received.
I’m highly confident that our accommodation rates are competitive against all mid market hotels in the City and am sorry if you feel your stay did not meet your expectations or represent value for money.
I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at the Hotel (061gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk) so that I may investigate and express my apologies personally.
For the purpose of any readers I can confirm that we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the Hotel and again I’m sorry that we were not able to help you access this free service.
I’m also sorry that the communications following the alarm activation was not as effective as expected and assure you that this will be discussed in detail with my management team.
Thank you once again and I look forward to hearing from you.