“Our wedding weekend”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We booked the package wedding deal and I have to say it was well worth the expense.
From initial planning to the big day itself ,the wedding coordinator had everything in hand.On the day itself she (Sophie) and the team ran the whole day like clockwork. The whole staff team were organised,attentive, friendly, and very helpful. Our friends and family are seasoned travellers and commented on the staff, the service, the hotel, and the food.
We stayed in the wedding suite which was perfect and felt very decadent. Other friends had less impressive rooms (some were very small and quite basic) but as we all spent such little time in our rooms this did not detract from the enjoyment. If you are planning a reasonably priced wedding venue i cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. If you are planning a wedding there, do also use their recommended disco man (DiscoFever.) We used him, and it was perfect. From this, if you are asked if you want to have a photo booth at your evening reception say YES! Much better than traditional photos, half the price, and twice the fun! Hotel, discoFever and photo booth all recommended 100% !

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room- May be worth paying that little bit extra for.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Sharon m
Firstly, may I take this opportunity to personally congratulate you on your recent marriage!
Thank you for your glowing review following your event with us and in particular thank you for your kind words regarding the organisation of the day – feedback goes a long way as encouragement for what we all strive to achieve here!
We agree that our Wedding and Event packages represent fantastic value and combined with some the key partners we work with we aim to deliver more than expected!
Thank you once again and hope to see you back for your anniversary next year.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Reviewed February 19, 2013

belive all the bad reviews this is a terrible hotel do not stay here. Our room was like a very poor bedsit which was extremely stuffy and small the inside of the hotel is tired and nowhere near a 4 star maybe a 2 at best. If you want a hotel in brighton for the same price stay at the travelodge it is more central and better, now that is saying something.
Mercure if you read these you need to sort it out as off the back of this I would not stay in any of your hotels they are a disgrace

Room Tip: choose a different hotel

Dear littlelegs78
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Hotel.
Clearly I am saddened by both the title and content of your review and would appreciate if you could contact me directly at the Hotel so that I may extend my apologies personally and discuss how we may meet your expectations at the Hotel for any future stays.
In the meantime please accept my apologies that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had intended it to be and I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Following a booking for valetines weekend, we were forced to wait just over 3 hours to check in due to the systems being down.
Obviously this had a knock on effect where we had to rush around for dinner that night and didnt have time to have a look around at things.

The rooms were ok, we had a nice view over the sea which was a bonus.

Not sure I would stay at the hotel again, one bad experience is enough!

Dear LR2012_12
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay last weekend.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the sea-view from your bedroom which I hope was an added ‘bonus’ to your Valentines weekend.
I am sincerely sorry for the frustrations caused and delay experienced on check-in following the issues with our external network meaning we were unable to access our reservations system as usual from Friday 15th February. As you may be aware I was personally at the Reception desk throughout the arrival time and was managing the process of operating a manual system for arriving guests.
Due to the very high business levels over the weekend making manual checks of each room and creating a plan for arrivals both on Friday & Saturday did take some time. Many guests took advantage to securely leave luggage and go to explore the City and I am sorry if your Valentines plans were affected as a result of the initial delays.
I offer you my assurances that the failure of our main ‘system’ is a highly unusual situation and do hope that my personal response to your review will convince you enough to come back to us again sometime in the future.
Please do feel free to contact me directly at the Hotel should you have any future accommodation needs.
Kindest regards

Reviewed February 17, 2013

From the outside the hotel looked absolutely lovely. On the waterfront, a bit of a walk from the center of town, but do-able. Unfortunately, once we got inside the hotel, we were a bit apprehensive. Scenes from The Shining kept popping into my head. The rooms are just ridiculously outdated. Felt more like being in a 2 star motel somewhere. We ended up checking out early.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Spurs1985
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us.
I was pleased to read that you found the location of the Hotel within good reach of the City centre and hope you were able to enjoy a leisurely walk.
I’m not familiar with the film reference, however I can confirm that our rooms do vary in terms of size and appointment and I am disappointed that my team and I were not able to do more for you whilst you were at the Hotel.
Whilst we are formally and independently inspected as a 4* property I it is clear from your review that your experience did not meet you expectations and would appreciate if you could contact me directly to discuss your feedback in more detail.
In the meantime I reiterate my apologies.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Accor brand includes Mercure, Ibis and Novotel. Jupiter Hotels (formerly Jarvis) have rebranded 27 UK hotels including this one under the Mercure banner. The staff are an absolute delight, but not much Accor savoir faire has rubbed off on the Jupiter high command. The beds are cheap and rock hard (try an Ibis mattress by comparison). The Accor style breakfast buffet and various other items are offered in the menu but not actually provided (freshly baked bread,cold meats, cheeses, probiotic drinks, kippers etc). The coffee's horrible. They do offer breakfast cooked to order which is actually pretty good except for the so-called "Cumberland" sausage comprising a cooked-to-a-frazzle thumb sized plastic tube filled with nameless squidge which no Lake District butcher would dare put out. There's no wifi in the rooms. The computer system (might explain l...ooo..n..g check in queues) and the ethernet internet (emanating from a bizarre tangle of electronics in the back of the TV - why do they make it so complicated?) were down the whole time we were there - what on earth are the Jupiter IT people thinking of?

The public areas are badly in need of a deep clean or, better, a refurb.

Did I mention the staff are great - unfailingly polite and very helpful. The location's fine. The rooms are small but not without character, and reasonably clean given their age. If the owners would go back and implement the franchise details properly - working wifi, comfortable beds, clean carpets, Accor standard cold buffet, and a proper investment in decor - the Brighton Mercure could be a star.As it is..... well, I'm an Accor loyalist but I'll think hard before booking at a Mercure anywhere in UK for business.

PS: Overall, the hotel's claim to be four star is just ludicrous.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear John Gilmore
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I read with mixed emotions and in particular thank you for your repeated comments regarding the team here at the Hotel and the service received.
I was sorry if there was confusion over the arrangement or availability of breakfast items. Whilst the main items are usually via the buffet (including probiotic drinks) many of the ‘special’ items such as kippers are available to order from the Kitchen and once again I’m sorry if this was not made clear during your breakfast time.
The team work hard to present the hotel to the highest possible standard especially with regards to levels of cleanliness – furthermore we are formally and independently inspected against quality criteria and I am also sorry if there were elements which did not meet your expectations.
We do have ongoing plans to improve the Hotel and I am pleased to confirm that our current Wi-Fi is currently being extended and upgraded throughout the hotel which will be complete during March 2013.
Finally, thank you for your understanding regarding the delay on check-in and thank you for your balanced comments. If you are planning to return to Brighton please do contact me directly at the Hotel so that I may make arrangements for you personally.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great value but the rooms were outdated, we only had a shower and it was so tiny that you could not swing a cat in the room.

Due to the check in system being down we had to wait nearly an hour to check in meaning that we were late for our appointment. No offer of a free drink or tea/coffee to any of the guests waiting! Very poor customer service.

We were shown to the car park at the back but had no idea we had to pay £15. The least the hotel could have done was to compensate the people who had to wait to check in by offering them something e.g. free parking.

Poor customer service - would not book here again

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear LynchLondon
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.
Due to the very high business levels over the weekend making manual checks of each room and creating a plan for arrivals both on Friday & Saturday did take some time and I’m sorry that you were not aware of the complimentary Tea, Coffee and Biscuits that were provided for guests in the main lobby.
I was also sorry to read that you were not aware of the parking charges at the Hotel. We remain highly competitive compared to both municipal facilities and other hotels in the City and make every effort to ensure all charges at the Hotel are visible.
Whilst we were very busy due to the system issues experienced I was sorry that you were not able to offer you an alternative room that may have better suited your needs.
My management team and I were on hand throughout the weekend and I am sorry that we were not able to do more to make your stay more comfortable. If you would like to contact me directly at the Hotel I would welcome the opportunity to offer you my personal apologies.
In the meantime