“Great hotel and lovely rooms much better than Barcelo Brighton”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Watford, United Kingdom
“Great hotel and lovely rooms much better than Barcelo Brighton”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights last weekend on Bed and Breakfast and having stayed at Brighton before at both the Barcelo and the Premier Inn I have to say that this was much better. Lovely big room overlooking the sea, everything was so clean and large windows which allowed natural light in, the bed comforatable and the bathroom great.
The staircase was a great old feature and the bar was small but lovely. Reception staff were great, smiles all around and helped me find a bank on the monday morning.
Breakfast was great, a special mention to the (slightly) older gentleman, sorry I dont know his name, who was there both mornings and giving fantastic service, checking back at the table to ensure everything was fine. I would of liked the breakfast to be in the main restaurant with the sea views and natural light instead of the ballroom at the back, but the food was good and choice good.
The hotel is a 10 minute walk to the main pier and only 5 minutes to the lanes. The only thing was the car park is very small and does cost £15.00 a day.
I would def return to the hotel when we visit again... great hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 212, which had the great view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Jonathan_Kerins
Thank you very much for your most kind and favourable review. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us at the Mercure and are able to compare us positively to other Hotels. We boast great sea view rooms which are bright and spacious and I am pleased you were able to make good use of your room.
I am pleased you experienced the usual friendly and courteous service of the staff, in particular to the waiter in question in the restaurant. I agree the view from the restaurant during breakfast is fantastic but unfortunately sometimes due to the volume of guests staying at the hotel, we use the Ballroom to ensure each guests needs are catered for quickly and efficiently. We take pride in offering a vast selection of a hot and cold food and I am delighted you experienced this to your satisfaction. During the evening service we always use the restaurant which enables a great atmosphere whilst overlooking the beach at night.
We are pleased to offer guests the option of a car park and appreciate it is a small area but we operate a first come first serve basis so allow each guest an opportunity of parking their car, and at £15 per night it is a highly popular choice with our residents.
It is great news you will be returning and I only hope you encounter the same level of service you enjoyed during your stay.
Thank you again for your most valued review
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Korean first
Tring
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife, 7 year old child and I stayed here on a Saturday night. Pre-booked through the accor website. I know that Brighton is expensive in the height of summer but £189 including breakfast represented very poor value for money. The room we were given was what you might call a "small double" with a small double bed and single bed crammed in. No aircon, limited power points and lots of noise from bedrooms on the other side. Shocking for the price despite the reasonable bathroom, very good breakfast and attentive staff. Checked in late so no time to faff about asking for room to be changed.

The Mercure is a bit of a rabbit warren and I get the impression that some rooms are better than others. But sorry, you cannot charge Mayfair prices for Brighton and provide guests with a pokey little room in a hotel with no facilities expect a bar and a restaurant. I'd pay £90 for b&b in this sort of establishment so my recommendation would be exactly that - go for a b&b.

In summary: Hotel facilities 3*, Room 2*, Breakfast 4*, staff 4* price 5*.

Room Tip: No idea - ring ahead perhaps?
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Frankblr
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Frankblr
Thank you for taking the time to post your valued review following your recent stay with us.
I was disappointed to read you felt your stay did not represent value for money. As you state prices at all Brighton Hotels particularly on Saturday nights are higher than other times and I can confirm that the rate paid was the fully flexible rate of the day. We do offer promotional rates subject to availability throughout the year which offer greater value to customers who are able to book and confirm well in advance of their stay.
We have a Guest Care Manager on duty 24-7 and it is further disappointing that we could not do more for you, although I do understand that checking in late you didn’t want the hassle of moving rooms.
It was of some comfort that you rated both the Breakfast and Staff 4* and it is my hope that the level of service received reflected the standard we aim to achieve.
If you do need to come back to Brighton, please do feel free to contact me directly so I can personally ensure you have a satisfying stay.

Matthew

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed in the annex of this hotel. The room was large and clean however the noise level was terrible. There were doors slamming to and people constantly knocking on doors until the early hours of the morning (3am) and then again early the next morning (6am) so don't come to this hotel if you want a good nights sleep! We complained to the young lady on reception and she said that the Manager would be in touch but of course they haven't.... what a surprise!! The internet was not working at the time we were there either which was rubbish. The hotel is looking very shabby and is in dire need of refurbishment. Mercure need to realise we are now in the 21st Century! We wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone and will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie L
Dear Julie L
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.
I am really sorry that you have not received a response from the Hotel following your comments at the Front desk. I personally ensure feedback followed-up and hope that this on line response reflects the values I uphold in customer service delivery.
I was disappointed that you were disturbed whilst staying with us and that you did not have a great night’s sleep. We do take active measures to address any issues highlighted to us at anytime of the day or night and I am sorry that we were not able to control the behaviour of other guests to make your stay more relaxing.
I am also sorry that you had problems with the internet connection. Our service is provided by a 3rd party and similar to home services sometimes we can experience technical issues. We are usually quick to respond and organise engineer attendance as we appreciate that many guests now rely on this service to keep in touch whilst they are away from Home.
If you do have plans to come back to Brighton I would ask that you contact me directly so I can make arrangements and ensure you have fully enjoyable stay with us.
Thank you once again.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Not sure if that title is correct in anyway from the song, but its a true fact for us on this occasion.

We arrived in Brighton on the 6th August and had a nice walk beside the sea to the Mercure Brighton, (its around a 10-15 minute walk to the shopping and centre) the hotel looked very nice from the outside and also from the inside once we walked up the steps, the lady who checked us in was very friendly and informative of the hotels feautres and was also very curteus, we were in room 412 and after a short ride in the lift we were soon at the room door.

The Superior room (i think its called) was of a very nice size, a very big double bed and sofa, nice furnishings of a desk and wardrobe, the bathroom was also a nice size and very airy as was the room so overall we were very pleased. the view from the room was nice as you can see from the pictures and didn;t get too hot either, the room was a nice temperature, lots of tea and buscuits and bathroom ammenaties.

We had a drink in the bar and once again the staff were very friendly and the bar was in a nice quiet location and nicely decorated, we didn't however have dinner or breakfast so can't comment on the quallity but the rooms these were in looked very nice.

The only slight downside was that we found you could watch movies in your room on the TV for £6.99 and having looked through the choices we decided between us on one to watch later, however when we tried later the option on the TV had dissapeared as had the music and internet, a technical problem maybe?, although it was a suprise we didnt come to the hotel for films so no real problems.

Despite that little hiccup we had a very nice sleep, the bed was very confortable and woke up feeling refreshed, check out again was very quick and efficent and we really enjoyed our stay,, the next time we visit Brighton we will definitly consider here first.

1 Thank c8bondUK
Dear c8bondUK
I feel like joining you in a chorus of song after reading the title of your review – thank you!
It was great to read that you had a great stay with us and you received our usual level of courteous and friendly service.
Thank you for your understanding regarding the technical operation of the interactive TV and movie system – it is computer controlled and usually this can be fixed by a member of the team or remotely by our engineers as soon as we find out about it.
Overall it was fantastic that you felt refreshed after you stay with us and please do come back and see us when you next need to journey to Brighton.
bakewell
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have no idea how this hotel holds a 4 star rating. From the outside it appears shabby and in desperate need of a lick of paint, - inside there are a mass of dark, narrow corridors with worn carpets and no air circulation, leading to tiny, dingy rooms.

The first room we were allocated was incredibly small, and extremely hot. The receptionist said that because the building is old and listed, they are unable to install air conditioning and she admitted that some of the rooms have a "heat problem". The room was unbearably stuffy and we quickly realised that this was because it effectively had no real window. The "window" in the room looked out onto the bottom of a shaft of some kind - which had pigeon feathers, chicken bones and all sorts of disgusting stuff lying on it. You could just about see the sky if you could see past 4 more storeys of the building around us. When you come to a seafront hotel in Brighton then you feel extremely disappointed to have that as your view. I was horrified and disgusted that they would think it is acceptable to offer this as accommodation - let alone at 169 pounds per night (no breakfast or car parking included).

We asked to move and were then allocated an even smaller room, but on a higher floor so we now looked out onto a fire escape, but were closer to the sky which meant at least we had some natural light. This room was again unacceptably hot, but it was cooler than the first room. The windows were the heavy, old fashioned kind that only open around 2 inches and even then there was nothing to prop it open with. A tiny fan was our means of salvation.

The bed was fairly comfortable - probably the only good thing to say.

The car parking is ridiculous - they have a tiny car park with no more than 20 spaces (all of which were full) they charge 15 pounds per night for this. As there was no room the hotel staff advised that I park in a nearby multi storey - around a 5 minute walk away. This was also full and I had to queue for 45 minutes until I could get into the car park and find a space. They should warn customers of this as it's a total farce and a terrible way to start your trip.

I can easily say this is the worst place I have ever stayed and the worst value for money. I'll happily never ever go back to the hotel and I urge others to give it a wide berth.

3 Thank MaryJShim
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear MaryJShim

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience and I am sincerely sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

As a Hotel it’s really disappointing when a guest goes away unhappy and we do try really hard to do as much as possible to make every guests experience relaxing and enjoyable.

I was sorry that you were not satisfied with your original room, but pleased that you did bring this to our attention and that we were able to offer you an alternative. Our rooms do vary in terms of layout and outlook and only 16 of our 117 have sea facing views, which is why these are offered as an upgrade option.

The main structure of the Hotel was revised in 1864 and for this reasons the layout of the bedrooms mean that some of the rooms face either inwards or overlook adjacent buildings which is unavoidable. While we can’t do a great deal about the views from this rooms we do aim to look after the outside areas at the same level as the bedrooms and I was sorry that you noticed some debris. As direct result of your feedback I have ensured that this area has now received attention and will continue to check this area.

Many of our rooms do have sash windows which are restricted in opening both for safety and security of all guests. We do appreciate that the temperature at this time of the year can increase and for this reason we do provide fans in all of our rooms to offer air circulation at these times. Once again I am sorry if you did not find the temperature comfortable and to your satisfaction.

We are formally audited to attain our current rating which takes into consideration both facilities as well as more importantly the level of service which as you will note from the many reviews on this site is regularly at an exceptional level.

I really do appreciate your frustration regarding car parking and we do aim to advertise that the spaces available are ‘limited’ and on a first come first served basis as well sharing price of parking with us. At peak times and busy weekends our 38 spaces do fill quickly and it is highly unusual for the municipal facility at Regency Square to also be full.

Recent reviewers John P and Momac2308 pointed out this situation of parking and cost in the City:

“Parking was £15 for 24 hours - a very good price for secure parking in Brighton.”
“with the other parking constraints around the town this is a major consideration for visitors and should be a real selling point for those who have such facilities”

I was truly saddened that you feel you would not return, however if you do need to come back to Brighton please feel free to contact me and I will happily make arrangements to ensure that your next stay fully meets your expectations.

Thank you once again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel and the first time as the Mercer (use to be the Ramada) the service and rooms were excellent as were the breakfast the staff always helpful and polite the hotel has been decorated and the staff clean the rooms during the day as if by magic you dont see a cart with towels etc around the corridors they do a good pizza and movie deal if you want to stay in I would definetly recommend.

Dear Happy265

Thank you for taking the time to post a most valued review following your recent stay with us at Mercure Brighton Seafront.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your 3rd stay and noticed some of the changes we have made in terms of decorations over you past visits.

Our recent Pizza and movie deal is fabulous value and ideal way to spend and hour or so in the room if the weather decides to be a bit unkind, or if you just want to chill out.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our ‘magical’ housekeeping team and your overall excellent experience.

Hope to see you again soon.