“Brill location”

Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Brill location”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

A one night stay for a birthday weekend the hotel is perfectly situated on the beach front within close walking distance to the shops and lanes where we visited a lovely tapas resturant recommended by anouther guest . the rooms are small but clean and good ammenities and the breakfast was lovely self serve cereal and toast fair size breakfast recommend the pancakes will be back again

• Stayed March 2013
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and I was please to read you enjoyed our facilities and found the location good. Look forward to you returning for pancakes in the future.

Iain Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Hebrew first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here whilst at a conference at nearby Holiday Inn. It was clean comfortable and affordable and just a few steps along the seafront. Great base for both conference and Brighton Festival events.

Room Tip: probably best to avoid front rooms if you want a peaceful night at weekends
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. The location makes the hotel close to the sea and convenient for all amenities in the city.

General manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was looking for a decent priced hotel for one night in Brighton. I paid £56.70 for a twin room for one night, no breakfast. Breakfast was an extra £5 each but was only available until 9.30am - i opted for a lie in and got a really decent breakfast out with the hotel for the same price. The room was clean but very basic and quite poor in terms of decor - paper and paint peeling. The carpeting in stairs was worn and the general feel was of a hotel really quite run down. I had to allow my credit card to be swiped for security in case of damage to the room. On seeing the room I was a bit concerned about how they might measure damage! I wasn't happy with this arrangement but the alternative was to leave a £50 cash deposit. It felt a bit much given the general poor quality of the premises. The bathroom was a big room which was in decent condition. The shower temperature was too hot and couldn't be adjusted - so be careful. The fire alarm works as on night of stay it went off and we had to be evacuated - there was an arrangement to go to hotel next door, no problems in dealing with this, both night porters were calm and accommodating. Overall - have stayed in better for same amount of money. Location good, right on sea front.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your response and I apologies that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. The hotel is a 3 star AA metro hotel which is a limited service property. Your feedback is important to us however this is the only feedback we have had from you and does not give any details of the room your stayed in. If you could forward more information I will be able to look at your comments more constructively.

Iain@lowygroup.com
Northampton
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked direct through the Kings Hotel website to enable us to use the facilities at their sister hotel, Queens Hotel. Unfortunately when we got to the Queens Hotel we were told that the leisure facilities were not available and that they had sent an e-mail to the Kings Hotel to let them know this... Once back at the Kings Hotel, the man on reception did not know about the e-mail. That aside, the first room we stayed in was clean and comfortable if not a little small, but the next night we upgraded to a sea view room for £10, which was really fantastic. We had a great view of the sea and the West Pier. Breakfast was really nice with some great choices, although would have been even better if it was served until 10 on weekdays. Creaky floorboards gave the room character and were fine when we got used to them. All in all a good stay and I would go back. Parking was £15 per day, which thought was a little pricey as Regency Square is very close and only £12.50.

Room Tip: Book a standard room and ask about the £10 upgrade when you arrive
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and I apologize the leisure facilities at our sister hotel were not available. The hotel has recently upgraded their equipment and it was the installation of the new equipment that cause the facilities not being available. I was please to read you enjoyed the rest of your stay at the hotel and found it clean. I agree the sea views are great.

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Was good location and bed comfy staff friendly . Good value for what I paid for £43.00 double room . The bed took up the whole room and I could hear everything the neighbours were saying. Apart from the noise it was ok.

• Stayed April 2013
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for your comments and I was pleased to read that you found the bed comfy and the staff friendly. I apologize that you had noise from the room adjacent to yours.

Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here last night - I don't think I actually arrived until about 3am, but the receptionist was still really friendly and quickly got me checked in and into my room

The room, although basic, was clean and had everything I needed for such a short stay - the bathroom was a little strange, it was huge but had nothing in it other than a tiny sink, shower and toilet as you'd expect - it just seemed a little odd that the room itself was pretty tiny in comparison... not that I care that much

Although clearly loved and cared for by it's owners, It's a very creaky old building - every time I used the sink there would be a really loud noise coming from a shaky old pipe behind the wall for about five minutes, you can hear every footstep upstairs - which, being one of the cheaper hotels on the seafront, might be an issue on the weekend if you're looking to sleep undisturbed..

Despite this, I am looking forward to staying here again; it's in a fantastic location, has a really friendly atmosphere and is actually pretty affordable!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments and It great to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel clean with friendly staff. The bathroom proportion is the way the hotel was converted sometime ago however we do try and keep the property up to date and continually listen to feedback and use this for future developments. I hope we will see you again soon.

St. Helier, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I arrived early evening after booking through a Hotel booking company with a prepaid voucher for Bed and Breakfast. The receptionist was very pleasant but then asked for a credit card swipe for what I thought to be extras. As I had been travelling extensively I was unsure of the credit on my one card I had with me so advised reception as I was on a pre-paid Bed and Breakfast stay and not interested in using the limited extras, such as the bar, I would prefer not to pass over the card. She was then insistence that a swipe would be needed as this was not for extras but a security deposit (what damage I could do I don't know after seeing the room?). I explained why I preferred not to and she said I could leave a cash deposit. This I wasn't happy with as my only experience with this is often when there is no problem, one is found and sometimes can seriously delay a departure. However, without this, after bringing in the front of house manager in on the conversation and told without it I couldn't stay, I left the deposit. Well I booked a single room and got a single. The window, which you had to contort around several bits of furniture to see out of was not worth the effort as the view overlooked a decaying roof top. The shower unit was like going to one of the budget hotels, where to get to the shower, you had to swing the door shut against the adjacent WC just to access, although when used the water was hot. The noise from people banging doors and creaking floors early morning onwards was unbearable and no sleep was possible after 5am, when I assume the first guests were leaving. After this experience I didn't bother with breakfast. As expected on check out at 1100, I had to wait 15 minutes for the housekeeper to check I hadn't damaged the room (again how, the condition itself when entering wasn't great) before refunding my money (which I had to ask for as the receptionist had me checking out without acknowledging there was a deposit held), which resulted in me very close to missing my planned train. I visit Brighton often for business and visiting friends and unless there is a serious upgrade of this hotel I probably wouldn't stay again, although I must admit the price was good. Then again on a Sunday night in winter, out of conference season, I would expect it to be

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view as that way you may get a window, not an after thought
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo