Kings Hotel
Hotel Una(Brighton)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
1,752 results
All reviewssea viewsea frontlimited parkingbreakfast staffwould stay againfull englishpleasant staybrighton centrebreakfast was includedregency squareyogurtseafront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Upon arrival at the hotel which claims 24hr check in was rudely told it is very early to check in sir the time was 2pm, instantly i was off to a good start. Room was small tinged with a musty smell. What fixtures in the room that were not already broken certainly looked like they didn't have much serviceable life left in them. Paper thin wall certainly helped me get to know my neighbour in the adjoining room. I can't stress how poor this hotel is 3* is a very generous rating for this hotel. AVOID!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your review and I apologise we did not meet your expectations. Check-in time is from 3pm to allow other guests to depart from the hotel and the rooms to be cleaned. Check-in time is detailed on our website. I do not have any details of you bringing the smell to our attention at the time and if you had we would have been able to look into the situation.

Once again I apologise we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked to stay here night before the half marathon. The room itself was small and dark. The noise of two guests in the room next door was absolutely horrific, walls so thin you could hear what was obviously some sort of violent/drunken domestic issue going on over very loud music. The walls of this hotel are so thin you could literally hear every disgusting word. Rang night reception man who came up and had a 1 second word with the drunken man in question which was utterly ineffective. Nothing else was done to sort out the problem. We were told we could not move rooms. Windows are very old so noise from street and traffic also very annoying. If you are going to spend over £100 for a one night stay (like we did) - I would thoroughly recommend staying somewhere else. We will not be back.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay in Brighton go somewhere more upmarket - its worth it!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2013

As seems to be the case these days you can easily be put off by reviews of hotels as people seem to go out of their way to criticise things. I found the Kings to be warm and welcoming from the moment I stepped off the very cold street and into the warmth of the hotle. There was a smiling face, a warm welcome and an efficient sorting out of the room I had prebooked obver the internet. The bedroom was warm, clean and well furnished and I had one of the best nights sleep ever on a very comfy bed. The location was excellent and given it had been warmer ideally placed for the beach! The room was beautifully decorated without being fussy. If i had to find anything not quite right the shower could have done with a bit more pressure and be able to run a little hotter. I would recommend others to stay there as it is clean, friendly and very good value for money (I went through www.easytobook.com)

Room Tip: Top floor has excellent views and is further away from traffic noise which once night came was very quiet anyway.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for your review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel when we have better weather. The views are even better and the beach is just across from the hotel.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This experience was so bad i don't know where to start!
Arrived to find that the room I had booked had been given to someone else...bumped out!
After a run in with reception they begrudgingly offered another room with champagne....not accepted
The duty manager was useless so I asked to see the general manager...who was still unrepentant, eventually spoke to the Ops Director in HQ who gave me a complimentary....this was 45 mins later! Then the real fun starts. The "deluxe" room had the bed so near to the wall that every time you scraped passed you hit the TV which was at waist height on the same wall. The hotel stated WiFi, it didn't work...There was no heating throughout the stay - in February!
The reception said to play with the temp controls on the radiators....it still didn't work.
On going out in the evening the reception staff sneered....
So my advice is, if you want a cold out of date overpriced hotel with sneering staff and rubbish management team with a blame culture give it a whirl....it made Fawlty Towers look like The Ritz

Room Tip: My advice is to choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

I was disappointed to read your review since the outcome was agreed with both parties. Unfortunately we found ourself overbooked by one seaview room. We did get you into a side seaview room and apologised at the time and ensured you were compansated for the inconvenience.
Once again I apologise for the situation which is not our normal practice.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my teenager daughter for a half term break. The hotel looked a bit shabby from the outside but the entrance hall and dining area were very modern and clean. The staff were very efficient and welcoming as we booked in. The lift was a bit old and slow but served its purpose. Our room was 418 and was very clean but the floor sloped down to one side. This however was not a problem and to be expected in an old building. It just adds to the character! The bathroom was modern and very warm with lovely fluffy towels. Breakfast was nice with a choice of English breakfast, fish or delicious pancakes with fruit and yoghurt.
The hotel was about 10 mins from Churchill Square where all the modern shops are. It was about 25 mins walk from the station and 15/20 to the Laines. We took a taxi back to the station on our last day which cost £5.20.
Overall I would recommend this hotel and thought it good value for money. (£112.10 for a double room for two nights).

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and I wwas pleased you found our location good for getting to all the local shops and attractions. The outside is due to be looked at once the weather improves. With being directly onto the seafront the weather does take it toll with the building. The lift is part of the restrictions of an old building but is fit for purpose.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.