Kings Hotel
Hotel Una(Brighton)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
1,752 results
All reviewssea viewsea frontlimited parkingbreakfast staffwould stay againfull englishpleasant staybrighton centrebreakfast was includedregency squareyogurtseafront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my teenager daughter for a half term break. The hotel looked a bit shabby from the outside but the entrance hall and dining area were very modern and clean. The staff were very efficient and welcoming as we booked in. The lift was a bit old and slow but served its purpose. Our room was 418 and was very clean but the floor sloped down to one side. This however was not a problem and to be expected in an old building. It just adds to the character! The bathroom was modern and very warm with lovely fluffy towels. Breakfast was nice with a choice of English breakfast, fish or delicious pancakes with fruit and yoghurt.
The hotel was about 10 mins from Churchill Square where all the modern shops are. It was about 25 mins walk from the station and 15/20 to the Laines. We took a taxi back to the station on our last day which cost £5.20.
Overall I would recommend this hotel and thought it good value for money. (£112.10 for a double room for two nights).

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your review and I wwas pleased you found our location good for getting to all the local shops and attractions. The outside is due to be looked at once the weather improves. With being directly onto the seafront the weather does take it toll with the building. The lift is part of the restrictions of an old building but is fit for purpose.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

A very nice hotel to stay in, close to all the shops and within walking distance of everything so no need to catch buses or taxis. The breakfasts were excellent, I enjoyed chatting to the one Latvian waitress ( I've forgotten her name!) which made breakfast all the more pleasant. The room was very small with limited views of the West Pier but the bed was superbly comfortable and the room very clean and warm, also the bathroom was beautifully tiled with fresh white tiles and had a big spotless bathtub with shower. So overall, pretty good value for money for the area and a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Next time I stay at this hotel I would opt to pay extra for a larger suite with sea views at the front of the hotel rather than at the side or back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly especially at breakfast. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel when you next require accommodation in the Brighton area.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in single room. Staff helpful and breakfast service great. However single lift was very slow and there was no wifi in this room, or in another single room offered. There was wifi in reception and dining areas on ground floor.

Room Tip: Hotel is apparently made from 3 villas, so room quality, size, access, wifi, etc may all be quite variable. Suggest check out the room before selecting.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your recent review and I apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. We offer complimentary WIFI on the ground floor public areas as advertised on our website. Currently we are looking at offering this service in all bedrooms. Being a converted Edwardian building there is constrains on what we can do with the current lift. I was please to read that you found the staff and breakfast service great.

Once again thanks for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights in a single room and I have to say it was the worst hotel room I have ever stayed in, the window was not visible from the 98% of the room, the shower was too hot to use even on its coldest setting and the room was far too hot (surprising considering it's winter).

By far the worst thing about my stay was the lack of sleep, people roaming the halls through the night with a group of drunk people trying to get into my room at 4.30am, the lack of a chain or bolt left me as a single female traveller feeling very vulnerable. The noise was also a major problem, the walls are so thin that I could here the fire door next to my room every time it was opened and every person that walked past my room woke me up during the night, none of this is helped by having the head of the bed right next to the door.

I only paid approx £70 for a two night stay on a Thursday and Friday night but the hotel was so poor I probably wouldn't stay again if the room had been free.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Daisy K

Thank you for your recent review and I apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately noise from other guests is hard to control however if you had let the night reception know they would have looked into the situation. Each room should have a secondary chain and I will have the rooms checked on the 4th floor.

Once again I apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay in one of the deluxe double rooms with a sea view. Arrived on the Friday lunchtime - too early to check into our room but we were able to leave our bags safely at reception. Our room was ready by about 3pm - on the 4th floor. The room was lovely with fantastic views of the West Pier and beach. Very clean, warm and spacious and obviously had been recently re-decorated. Breakfast, served in the restaurant overlooking the sea was ample and freshly cooked to order. Choice of full english, fish, fruit or delicious pancakes.

All the shops, restaurants and lanes are only a short walk from here - plenty of places to eat. We ate one evening in a lovely Thai restaurant just around the corner in Preston St called Kanok Thai. So many places to choose from though its all a bit overwhelming!

Negatives: The shower head in our room was blocked (which we reported to reception as we left - it really didn't bother us as we used the bath)
The 'tower of terror' lift is highly amusing. Only taking 3 persons (you have to go in batches if your a family of 4!) - and feels like you may plummet to your death at any time. We used the stairs a lot - but for a bit of a thrill - use the lift!

We would defiantly stay in this hotel on our next trip.

Room Tip: We had room 420, nice and high away from the road - with a great view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisalwd
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your recent review after your stay at the hotel. It was great to read you enjoyed your stay and found the room facilities good and clean. I have asked our housekeeping team to review all shower heads. Unfortunatley the size of the lift cannot be altered due to the constraints of the building however I can assure you it has regular inspections and is well maintained. The variety and choice of restaurants in the area is why we do not operate a restaurant in the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the in the future.