“Avoid if you actually want some sleep!!!”
Review of Kings Hotel

Kings Hotel
Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid if you actually want some sleep!!!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights in a single room and I have to say it was the worst hotel room I have ever stayed in, the window was not visible from the 98% of the room, the shower was too hot to use even on its coldest setting and the room was far too hot (surprising considering it's winter).

By far the worst thing about my stay was the lack of sleep, people roaming the halls through the night with a group of drunk people trying to get into my room at 4.30am, the lack of a chain or bolt left me as a single female traveller feeling very vulnerable. The noise was also a major problem, the walls are so thin that I could here the fire door next to my room every time it was opened and every person that walked past my room woke me up during the night, none of this is helped by having the head of the bed right next to the door.

I only paid approx £70 for a two night stay on a Thursday and Friday night but the hotel was so poor I probably wouldn't stay again if the room had been free.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Daisy K
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and I apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately noise from other guests is hard to control however if you had let the night reception know they would have looked into the situation. Each room should have a secondary chain and I will have the rooms checked on the 4th floor.

Once again I apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

Iain Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay in one of the deluxe double rooms with a sea view. Arrived on the Friday lunchtime - too early to check into our room but we were able to leave our bags safely at reception. Our room was ready by about 3pm - on the 4th floor. The room was lovely with fantastic views of the West Pier and beach. Very clean, warm and spacious and obviously had been recently re-decorated. Breakfast, served in the restaurant overlooking the sea was ample and freshly cooked to order. Choice of full english, fish, fruit or delicious pancakes.

All the shops, restaurants and lanes are only a short walk from here - plenty of places to eat. We ate one evening in a lovely Thai restaurant just around the corner in Preston St called Kanok Thai. So many places to choose from though its all a bit overwhelming!

Negatives: The shower head in our room was blocked (which we reported to reception as we left - it really didn't bother us as we used the bath)
The 'tower of terror' lift is highly amusing. Only taking 3 persons (you have to go in batches if your a family of 4!) - and feels like you may plummet to your death at any time. We used the stairs a lot - but for a bit of a thrill - use the lift!

We would defiantly stay in this hotel on our next trip.

Room Tip: We had room 420, nice and high away from the road - with a great view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisalwd
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent review after your stay at the hotel. It was great to read you enjoyed your stay and found the room facilities good and clean. I have asked our housekeeping team to review all shower heads. Unfortunatley the size of the lift cannot be altered due to the constraints of the building however I can assure you it has regular inspections and is well maintained. The variety and choice of restaurants in the area is why we do not operate a restaurant in the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I came over to Brighton for work in January and stayed here.

The hotel is in a really good spot, right by the pier, the view out over the ocean was also great!
The room was a bit tired, but more than comfortable, the breakfast was buffet style and not particularly nice (but what hotels is?) and the staff were extremely friendly.

I would recommend this hotel, and would happily stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read you had a pleasant stay. I was disappointed to read you were not satisfied with breakfast. The buffet is only the continental selection and all cooked breakfast is cooked to order and served to the table. Menus are on all tables.

I look forward to you returning and experiencing the cooked breakfast option.

London UK
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Visited this hotel yesterday and we had a very good stay, our room was clean and quiet. We had a good night's sleep. The reception staff were friendly and informative, although the lady who took our breakfast order looked a little serious/stressed but our breakfast was very nice and served in nice surroundings. Only thing I would suggest is adding a folder/brochure about the hotel with info on the room/hotel policies/breakfast time etc... as this was missing in our room. The hotel is old (Grade II listed), has quite a number of rooms inside and looks like it may need some renovation in the near future, but we smelt the very faint smell of fresh paint in our room (no problem) so some work had been done :) Would definitely return, great price and hotel experience all round - great location too - Thank you, Kings Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your reciew and I was pleased you found the hotel pleasant and the staff friendly. We continue to upgrade the property each year in all areas. There should have been a guest information folder in your room and I will speak to housekeeping to ensure this is replaced.

Once again thanks for your review and I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Northampton
Reviewed February 2, 2013

After booking this hotel and then reading some rather bad reports I was dreading turning up. I arrived at about 5pm and there were plenty of parking spaces about 50 meters from the front door....bonus. I was warmly welcomed and upgraded to a deluxe room with a view.

My room was larger than expected and immaculate. The bed was super king and very comfortable. The TV was OK and the bathroom modern with piping hot water.

Breakfast in the morning was a full English with everything you would want - no complaints. Even the butter was soft and spreadable...one of my gripes in hotels these days. Staff could not be more helpful and I left a happy customer.

I could not believe some of the previous reviews and I was on the lookout for something to moan about, but I genuinely could not. So, hotel (with upgrade), parking and full breakfast for £60 Inc vat. Will naturally return.

Room Tip: Ask for room 120
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and it is always pleasing to read that you had a good stay at the hotel and you found the staff friendly and helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Have just had 3 days B & B at this hotel. Which was great. Very clean, good value, and friendly staff. A good location for the centre of Brighton, right on the sea front. Recommend a short stay here. You can park in the hotel car park, bit expensive £15 per night, but is very convenient and just around the corner, worth paying for.

Room Tip: Room 201, is a large sea view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and the location. The charge for parking is average for Brighton and we rent the land from the flats next door to be able to offer the facility.

I look forward to wlecoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Checked in for one night and found that the room we were allocated on the 4th floor had damp on the walls. The noise from the next door room was also disturbing.

We asked to be relocated at the reception desk and were given a quiet clean room on the 1st floor at the rear of the hotel. The water pressure was great and we enjoyed a refreshing shower. The room was warm and the bed comfortable.

Breakfast was served in the dining room overlooking the seafront. The service was friendly and prompt and the English breakfast was fresh and hot. we asked for more juice and coffee and it was served immediately without a fuss.

All in all a great hotel with friendly helpful staff who really make an effort to accomodate ones needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the hotel. I was disappointed to read you had an issue with the first room allocated and I will have maintenance have a look at the issue. However it was great to read that your room was changed without a fuss and you had an enjoyable stay. We have kept the breakfast served and I was pleased you enjoyed this and that the staff were friendly and accommodating.