“OK for one night!”

Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Colchester, United Kingdom
“OK for one night!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Last minute decision and booking, hence a small room, but adequate for 1 night as right on the seafront. Staff very friendly and chatty, polite and efficient. Best value parking 2 mins walk at Regent Square, £12.50 for 24 hours, many others double this price!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for recent review and I was please that you enjoyed your stay being a last minute decision. I hope you will use the hotel again in the future should you be visiting the city.

Car Parking is a challenge in Brighton and being close the the Regency Square car park is a bonus for the hotel.

Iain Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Hebrew first
Portsmouth Uk
Reviewed January 1, 2013

stayed this New Year with my wife. This was all arranged very last minute through lastminute.com
A comfortable stay in a nicely decorated room with On Suite. Looked like it had recently been refurbished.
A lift to the 4th floor was very welcome and the room was pleasant with TV and drink making facilities.
The bar on the ground floor was good and all the staff freindly and helpful.
We didn't eat here so i cannot comment on the quality of the food. However, the dinning area looked great with a view over the road to the beach.
Despite the revelry going on around, we both had a very good nights sleep and would have no hesitation in recomending this place to stay.
Total cost £126.
Downside: Nowhere to park. Had to use the nearest NCP car park in Regents Square at a cost of £12.50 fo 24 hours. In fairness, it is only a couple of minutes walk so not much of a downside.

Room Tip: we were offered an upgrade for £15 just to be at the front of the building. Just take the standard...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review and I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay. I hope you enjoyed your New Year celebrations. Unfortunately Brighton is a challenging city when it comes to parking.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel for a future break.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just returned from one nite stay at The Kings, comfortable pleasant decor throughout, bargain for £45 double room, slept ok. Apart from strong winds very noisy but not hotels fault!! Breakfast tasty including cereals teas, coffees, as much toast you like, all staff pleasant throughout our stay! Have stayed in far worse in Sussex for double price. Beats travel lodge any day,
Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the Kings Hotel. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of one of our offers.

I hope we can welcome you back when you next require accommodation in the Brighton area.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed overnight here last weekend in a single room, for £75 including breakfast, ( one of only a few places I could find under 3 figures a month before). Check in was friendly, but you have to sign a contact with all the rules on it. Plus they insist on a swip of your card. The room was basically the size of a cell, with only one small window in a alcove around a piller. There was a very tight on-suite bathroom. Just as well i'm not a big guy! Well I'm only here for a night I thought.. There was a few bits of furniture in the room, including a chair jambed into the end of the bed and the pillar. On a plus side, the bed was wider than a reg. single, but it was up against the wall. There was a small flat screen Tv, and tea making facilities. Once I'd got my suitcase in there there wasn't a whole heap of space left.
That night the bed was comfortable, but as my head was only a foot or two from door, which had a clear 1/4 of a inch to move against it's frame, rattling everytime other doors closed in the corridor, also allowing lots of corridor noise in. Also there was the nice sound of running water from toilets been flushed above. Ear plugs solved those problems. Biggest problem was the heat, it was like a sauna in my room, and with the small window tucked around a pillar only opening 2 inches not been a great help! Maybe they only allow the window to open that small an amount so you can't jump of it! Needless to say I didn't get a great deal of sleep.. Breakfast was in a pleasant room with a view of the beach front, alas tho the food was very average.
Overall all view- i've stayed in much worse hotels, mainly in Asia and Africa.. Next time in Brighton, I'd stay at one of the bigger branded hotels booking as soon as possible.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank JerseyBoy75
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your review and I apologise that the hotel on this occasion did not meet your expectations. You booked a single room however should you have required a bigger room you could have had a double for single occupancy which would still have been under 3 figures on your chosen date. I was pleased to read that the staff were friendly and it is standard practice in the majority of hotels to take a swipe of a guest credit cards and complete a registration card which does confirm that hotel is a non smoking establishment. Again fairly standard with hotel since the smoking ban was implemented. I apologise you felt the hotel was too warm and I can confirm that the window restriction is a health and safety regulation and unfortunately is to stop people jumping ! Perhaps on your next visit to Brighton you will consider a double room for single occupancy.

Iain Lindsay

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Expensive, tatty, poorly furnished. Chipped tiles and chipped enamelled bath, gaps in the grouting and sealant, minimal and dated furnishings - red 'leatherette, chairs with ripped seats, poor sound-proofing - TV in next room, no double glazing and all for £125 per night! Breakfast - awful. Thick coffee mugs, no saucers, plain wooden tables, full English breakfast less than adequate. Ancient and slow lift, a rabbit warren if you try and find the right staircase.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 186338david
Thank you for your review and I apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. I can confirm that the chairs in the bedrooms have been replace and was one of the first things I started arranging when I joined the hotel on the 1st October. Unfortunately I cannot change that rabbit warren. The hotel is a series of converted town houses which make it difficult to have one main staircase and straight corridors. Once again I apologise we did not meet your expectations.

Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hotel is like faulty towers. If it wasnt for the fact that myself and my Husband have a sense of humour I would be crying as I write this.

Staying here I will take responsibility for, as I was meaning to book The Queens and booked The Kings instead - something I will take to my grave. I booked here for one night to take my Husband away for his Birthday.

I would say that the only plus side was "Daniel" at the Reception who was friendly and chatty when booking us in. We too were offered to upgrade for £5 - I dread to think what the room would have been had we not done this. The maze to our room was a fragrant one that smelt of toilet duck and bathroom cleaner. We could also smell fresh paint, but clearly that never made it to our end of the hotel.

Our room was nasty. It resembled a room in a Home for OAP's. It was on street level and you were looking at everything passing by. The blinds did not reach the bottom of the windows. The chair at the dressing table was really uncomfortable. The bed just looked so cheap and I will say that since returning home this morning, I have red lumps on my legs!!! When I ran the bath, there was a hair floating in it, and it wasnt mine!!! When walking around the room the cupboard shook so much and made a noise, that I actually checked to make sure someone wasnt in there trying to get out. When we left the hotel to go on our much needed night out, there was what appeared to be a used piece of toilet paper left in the corridor. This too was waiting for us a few hours later on our return to our cell.

I can honestly say that this hotel was such a disappointment and that we will never be returning again. If you are thinking of booking here, please save yourself the misery and book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!
1 Thank CAW01
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I was disappointed to read your review of the hotel after your recent stay and I apologise that we did not meet your expectations. The hotel is a series of converted Victorian town houses which is why the corridors sometimes feels like a maze. We do have ground floor rooms however I am not aware of any blind which does not fit the window. From your review I do not know what room you stayed in and I will check the few ground floor rooms to see if there is an issue with any of the blinds. I have spoken to Daniel and he did not have any reported complaints over the weekend.
Once again I apologise that we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

At checkin we were given the option to upgrade to a king size room (the new room was actually very small and the "king size" bed was a standard double) then charged for the privilege of upgrading (??!). The lift looked like someone had let a machine gun off in there little bullet marks everywhere... Worse of all though was at checkout where we were told we were being charge an extra £5 because we were checking out after 11am. When we questioned why we were not forewarned of this the manager said "it's not our job to warn you". When my husband refused to pay the fine the manager said "you've signed a contract so you have to pay". We refused. It was the most disappointing check-out experience we have ever had leaving us feeling as though we were the target of a scam. Basically. They are con merchants with zero customer service.

Absolutely dreadful. The staff in this place couldn't give a damn about the customer.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Natalie54321
I was disappointed to read your review and I apologise we did not meet your expecations. I understand you were called at 11.55am to explain that check out time was 11.00am and details can be found on our registartation card and your guest room directory. Arrangements can be made in advance for late check-out should this have been a requirement of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you feel you have been ripped off due to yourlate departure.