“Poor service”
Review of Kings Hotel

Kings Hotel
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel has a good location on the Brighton sea front. However, I found the staff to be rude & not very helpful(it seem to be difficult task to get a receipt for the room).
Also, the breakfast choice was very limited & the staff didn;t seem happy when helping yourself to orange juice etc.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,675)

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights 14th + 15th Nov 2012. I found it within easy walking distance from the coach station. Reception staff were very helpful + polite. My single room on 4th floor was clean + comfortable. Price doesn`t include breakfast which suited me as I`m not a breakfast person. So many hotels include breakfast in their price whether you want it or not + if you`ve paid for it you almost feel obliged to indulge..I had a dental appointment in Hove on the 15th + it took me about 15mins to walk there. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed November 19, 2012

stayed here during the middle of Nov 2012, Hotel staff were very helpful and accommodating, clean and nice sized rooms, shower was the "Biz" so powerful and hot so really enjoyed that.
food was very well presented, and prices for both food and drink were average for the town.
only downside they have limited parking for the size of Hotel, but if your travelling by public transport then it doesn't matter.

Room Tip: Double rooms are all at the front so you get a Sea View, others are at the sides and rear.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank santo50
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I am a bit disappointed to write this review. This hotel is in an excellent location in Brighton, East Sussex. The staff quality is excellent too. They are courteous and helpful. I also liked their sumptuous English breakfast that was complimentary. The National Express coach station in Pool Valley is just about 10 minutes' walk from the hotel through the wide sidewalk across the sea road. And the main market place, Churchill Square, too is about 10 minutes' walk from the hotel. The hotel is surrounded by eating places from different ethnicities.

My problem was the hotel's business practice. I stayed in this hotel 16-20 September 2012. I booked my reservation two months earlier in mid-July 2012, requesting a twin room for the first night and a single room for the subsequent three nights. The hotel informed me that rooms per my request were available and my reservation was confirmed. However, when I reached there on 16 September, I was informed that I was 'upgraded' to a 3 single-bed room. As I entered the room (number 111), the experience was immediately disappointing. There was hardly any space in the room. One could not even sit on the chair to use the desk for the internet. No seat for guests. No refrigerator in the room. The bathroom is very basic, no rack for towels and no hook for hanging clothes, and no exhaust fan in the bathroom. No telephone connection in the room, so one could not speak to the reception or housekeeping staff when necessary. Yes, hot water was easily available and there was a reasonable size television set in the room. There were also tea, coffee and sugar sachets and real milk in the room. I am used to the hotels and motels in the USA. Even the cheapest motels in the USA (about $40 a night in the Disney-area in Florida in the summer months) have better amenities. They could not even change my room for a better one.

I booked my room through email at the University of Sussex rate, but found later that their online room rates or even walk in room rates are relatively cheaper.

I would advise prospective new clients to avoid staying in room number 111 which is sub-standard, unless they are a large family. Another problem was the mezzanine floor - my room number 111 was between the first and the second floors and it was really difficult to get there with a large suitcase because the elevator stopped only on the regular floors.

This inconvenience apart, the hotel is good and the outside, overlooking the sea, is quite enjoyable.

Room Tip: Look for a room on the ground floor, first floor, and second floor. Avoid the mezzanine floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked this hotel expecting it to be on the sea front and with a sea view. Only then did I set about reading reviews. I read a few reviews on another site and was expecting to be disappointed with the hotel, I wasn't. The young lady at the reception desk was welcoming, friendly and polite. She advised they had a space in their car park and where the car park was, along with the price, which I did think was a little expensive but as I got a good price for the room wasn't too concerned. We were on the top floor, which I always like as it means we're further away from the bar and any noise. There was a lift which made the trek to the top trouble free. The room itself was warm, clean and a little small, though more than adequate for what we wanted. It also looked out over the beach, which my wife loved. We could see the old pier from the room. The cleaners did a great job, with towels etc. replaced daily. There were plenty of places to eat and drink, all within walking distance from the hotel. We will definitely book this hotel again next time we visit Brighton.

1  Thank Brian D
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room was nice and it was clean,the breakfast could be improved but it was ok. The staff need to know more information about parking in the area as this was a draw back. I would stay here again it was a good price and you can use the Queens Gym if you book on line.

Room Tip: We had a sea view facing room.
1  Thank Mrspowell74
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed for one night in the hotel, we had the family room as this was all that was left. We thought it very good value, £139 with breakfast for four people on a Saturday in Brighton. It was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The decor was a little dated but this added to its charm. The window was slightly broken but this didn't matter because we had the heating on.
Breakfast was really lovely, you could have unlimited toast and cornflakes, the cooked breakfast was delicious.

1  Thank Nicholas R