“Beautiful hotel, couldn't have asked for more”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Booked a 2 night B&B break, first night just with the hubby but second night with friends as well. Overall we had a brilliant time
Staff- Staff were brilliant, very friendly and helpful, the whole trip.
Food - Breakfast was great, 1st day there was a queue as everyone had had a lay in i think! But staff were working hard to ensure we didn't have to queue for long. And had put out juice and pastrys for those queuing. The food was brilliant and the tables by the window were very nice as was the dining room.
Rooms- we'd paid a bit more for a king sized room, which was lovely but the heating was broken on arrival. A very pleasant young caretaker came but couldn't fix it. We were moved to a slightly smaller, but newly refurbished room. It was very nice, was still a very good size with an enormous bed and sea view and balcony and seating area. Our friends rooms were still nice but quite compact.
Hotel - the hotel itself is a beautiful building, pleasantly decorated and maintained to a very high standard.
We didn't manage to go the spa as had shorter opening hours, we did however visit the pool, which has a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi by it. They were clean, pretty average but we had a nice relaxing time in them.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2009

Thank you for your lovely comments, we do have a fantastic team of people here and I shall ensure your thoughts are passed on to them. I apologise for the inconvenience of your having to change your room, but I am pleased you were happy with the alternative accommodation offered. I Wish you a Happy New Year and hope you will choose to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed December 21, 2009

Went to Hilton Brighton Metropole on 28 November as a birthday treat for my husband. I had booked a superior room, however there was no heating in the room - the heating dial was hanging off the wall, so would have been clear for staff to see. Despite complaining twice, all we were given was a small electric heater for the bedroom and no heat at all in the bathroom. When I used it at the same time as the kettle all the electricity blew, and so had no lights, heat etc etc. I complained again to reception and once again no help was offered. On our return I emailed Hilton to say how disappointed I was with our experience, unfortunately Hilton Brighton Metropole did not feel I was important enough to reply!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2010

I am terribly sorry you experienced these problems, and concerned that you did not receive a response from Hilton. We have several contact email addresses, unfortunately I can not investigate further without knowing the address you used. All correspondence sent direct to the hotel will be responded to. All our guests are highly valued and their feedback is very important to us.

Reviewed December 16, 2009

When we got to the hotel our room was not ready but that wasnt a problem we had an upgrade which we had to pay for which ive never had to do before as where ive stayed in diffferent hotels if there not busy they do it for free.
We had some drinks in the bar before dinner they had an offer on champagne when we asked what was free in the bag the reply was WELL WHAT DO YOU WANT IN THE BAG!!
to that we did not buy any. at dinner we were seated fast with our order taken in the same way from there it went down hill. The soup my partner had was cold when we called the waitress over her reply was well the bowl is warn!! but did get a fresh one i had fish cakes and well for a four star hotel did not think it would be TINNED SALMON but did not complane as i think the chef was having a bad night for our main i had chicken which was abit dry my partner had steak which he did ask for rare but when it came that was over cooked to so we called the waitress over she took it away only to bring it back and tell us THATS HOW WE COOK RARE STEAK HERE!!!! to this my partner told her he cooks for a living as soon as he said that she took it away and came back with a new one we did get some free drinks but to tell you the truth if i had not already paid the dinner i would have left at the starter. now the thing is the lady/waitress that served us was a manager so we over heard so that just made things even worse i did leave a card in the bedroom that we filled out and addressed to the manager but have had no feed back to which is rude but then again if they speak to there guests like that then there not going to reply to a bad review

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2009

All guest correspondence is read and actioned. Our time scale is for the guest to receive a reply from the relevant Head of Department within 14 days of receipt of correspondence. I have personally seen, read and forwarded your comments onto our Food and Beverage Manager and you will be in receipt of reply very shortly. It just remains for me to say that I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your dining experience and to thank you for your thoughts.

Reviewed December 13, 2009

Check in was very pleasant and fast and I was made to feel very welcome in a hotel that to be honest feels a bit out of my league, my room (421) was very comfy and clean looked rather modern with the feature wallpaper and funky bed linen, the work station was easy to use but a surcharge for the in room internet access seemed a bit of a money spinner for Hilton, as other hotels of this price and standard tend to offer free internet, (i.e. the Grand hotel,) the bathroom was a tad on the small side but very usable and clean with plenty of fresh towels and free top end toiletries, the room could of done with a seat in it apart from the one for use with the work station, a nice little bucket style seat would of fitted in just nicely buy the built-in wardrobe, the mini bar was locked shut but I did book the room at a rather late time on the day of check in, I did have one problem when I arrived with the bed rolling around the room on caster wheels but a quite word with the kind lady on the front desk soon saw that problem disappear,
Sunday morning I awoke not fresh but as the bed was a little harder than what I’m used to but a nice shower soon had me feeling at my best and breakfast was calling,
Breakfast is truly awesome at this hotel, loads on offer from a quick bowl of cereal to a full English and every thing in-between, made to feel very much at home and I must of spent at least an hour taking in the sights and sounds with a coffee and a free Sunday paper,

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank bambatta
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2009

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review. I am so pleased you felt welcome, the whole ethos of Hilton is to ‘Spread the Warmth and Light of Hospitality’. I have passed on you thoughts with regards the idea of an additional chair and the issue of the caster wheels on the bed to our Facilities Manager for review. Thank you again, your comments are much appreciated and I do hope you visit us again soon

Reviewed December 4, 2009

this is my 3rd stay at this Hilton, the first time was a disaster, the 2nd time was a waste of money, and this 3rd time was......... well interesting?.
ok........ arrived 3pm sat afternoon to a very wet and windy seafront, parked car in hotel car park ( plenty of spaces but tight!), checked in ( took 3 Min's), and went to my room.
this was a single room that i booked via lastminate.com for £61, so considering this it was worth the money, however if i would have paid the full £144 via Hilton's website i would have demanded a room change.
the room was fairly big if a little tired but warm and clean, had safe trouser press but no mini bar.
bed was comfy and i slept well , didn't wake refreshed but i think this was due to the beer i had with friends the night before.
didn't use the gym but did use sauna and pool........ this is where it lets itself down a bit..... i like to have 2 towels, 1 to have around my shoulders for sweat ( in the sauna), and 1 for drying after my final shower, the attendant insisted i can only have 1 towel..... ok ok , yes its not the end of the world i know but from a hygiene point of view its important, didn't complain , will just take 1 from my room next time, just thought it was a bit "petty".
gotta say breakfast was delicious!, did enjoy it , plus it was novel to eat whilst watching huge waves crash onto the promenade, it was force 10 gale outside, they wouldn't even let you use the front entrance as it was THAT bad!.
ok , to sum -up, it did the job fine, lovely building and staircase, and enjoyed my stay..... oh and parking is £14. for 24hours.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank wizla
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2009

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us despite the wild weather! I have checked with our Safety Manager and he has advised me that the front entrance single doors were indeed closed to ensure guest safety, however the front entrance revolving doors were still safe to be used. All our rooms have mini bars provided, so I have asked our Facilities Manager this morning to do a check on all single rooms, as we do not have your room number. Also I have passed on your thoughts regarding the issuing of towels to our Spa Manager and await his reply. Thank you for your review we welcome your feedback and look forward to a fourth visit from you.

Reviewed December 3, 2009

My wife and I spent 2 nights on the "Heritage package" which includes room, breakfast and dinner. Our room (401) was very poor indeed, unmatched furniture, a myriad of differing shades of nail polish marks on the dressing table, the TV was placed in front of a mirror which should have been over the dressing table/desk. There were marks on the ceiling from leaks above which had been touched up badly. The bathroom was what one would have expected in a 1960's guest house or student bed sit complete with mould in the tile grout and bath surround and the mirror frame varnish peeling. Renovations are taking place at present on the 2nd floor and the noise from this activity commences at 9am and seems to continue until well after 6pm. The noise and vibration from this is even on the 4th floor not acceptable. We realise that this is an old hotel but this type of poor quality accommodation is not acceptable, a little effort and an eye to detail could transform even tired rooms such as 401 to be more habitable.

On the positive side the staff in the restaurant and bar areas are super as was the food, Very good breakfast and the evening dinner menu in the Windsor restaurant was excellent.

The accommodation in this hotel is not up to the usual Hilton high standard and consequently could not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2009

Thank you for your review and your positive remarks about our team and dining experience. It is with regret that any inconvenience is caused to our guests during our renovations, unfortunately due to the nature of the work noise can not be totally avoided. I believe our Duty Manager was able to extend your stay, which I do hope was enjoyable, and we look forward to you visiting us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 30, 2009

Stayed on the Heritage package, this gave us 2 nights, breakfast and dinner one night. Upgraded to Superior King, well worth it.
First room was a bit chilly as the blown-air heating wasn't working, there was a small electric radiator but not really up to the english winter! One phone call and the friendly staff quickly found us a warmer alternative, no fuss.
Dinner was very nice, breakfast was superb.
Only negative was that the swimming pool was a bit chilly. OK for a swim but not one for relaxing in, because of this the spa-bath was quite busy.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2009

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed the Heritage Package and the level of service you received. I have spoken to our Spa Manager and he advises me we run the pool at a temperature of 29 degrees, as this is most suited for both swimmers and leisure guests, we will however be monitoring this and will adjust the level of heat accordingly. Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we welcome your observations.