“Amazing location, 'standard' Hilton service and facilities on a huge scale”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I went to a 3 day conference with work at this hotel and paid the very high room rate. It was a conference, after all, what do you expect? Still, it was STEEP.

Check in was easy and friendly but then, I was late so there was no queue. I heard from others that check in got a bit difficult, but for me, it was smooth as a nail.

The room had the most exquisite view; you could almost forgive all the tattiness around the edges because when you looked out the window, it's as if the sea reaches your room. The hotel is right there in the centre of things, 10 second cross of the main sea front road to the beach, 10 minute walk to the pier, with bars, shell shops, surf schools, basketball courts and pebble displays right there. It's like someone took the southbank and moved it to the coast.

The sky is bigger in Brighton than elsewhere, as you know.

The thing with the hotel is, it's so big, no one person could ever know it. There's stains, there's lingering odours, there's corridors with no sign that go nowhere, there are vast empty ball rooms, stairs with no end, it's like the sky outside, brought in. You could clean it constantly and never reach the end. I liked that about it, care was taken, not enough for sure, but one gets the feeling that you could devote a lifetime to cleaning this place and never manage it. I would suggest that management maybe hire a couple more people to just keep it looking nice, a lick of paint here, a new carpet there, that kind of thing. At least create the impression you're trying to keep it looking worth £215 a night.

My room was small, my bed even smaller (which I appreciate is necessarily the case) with a good bathroom. I didn't use the pool. Somehow it seemed churlish under that sky. Breakfast was excellent, though I got farmed off into a sort of subsidiary holding breakfast pattern which felt a bit weird. Was I not attired appropriately to join others? Must I face segregation? Was it my last TripAdvisor review? Still I moved and no-one even so much as frowned (ha! I wish they had! Imagine the scene!) and the food was very good so I will let them off.

Since in the end I only stayed one night (I messed them about with booking and cancelling and stuff and they handled that fantastically) I don't have much more to say.

It's a pretty good Hilton in one of the most sublime places there is.

Room Tip: you may as well have a front facing room, it might be a tad louder but you get the view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read not only did you enjoyed your stay with us but also Brighton on a whole, and it is very deceiving how large the hotel is once you have added all of the conference areas.

Due to the age of the building our bedrooms do come in all different shapes and sizes.

Thank you for your very genuine comments and feedback which are gratefully received.

Howard

Write a ReviewReviews (4,609)

Reviewed May 6, 2014

A group of 8 of us stayed in this hotel during the May Bank holiday for one night. We booked two family rooms and one double room.
The hotel is right on the sea front and the double room had a sea view which was lovely. It’s a great picturesque location. Also close to many fish and chip restaurants along the sea front which was perfect for our hen party lunch!

The hotel is very well presented and we felt rather out of place as a (sensible) hen party of 8 girls. However, the staff were very professional and checked us in (early too as the rooms were ready), still asking us if we required car parking and a newspaper for the following morning. We managed to get two rooms next to each other whilst the double room was one floor below. I stayed in a family room with two other girls. They provided us 3 keys for the family rooms too which was great as we could all have one each. There was one huge double bed (which looked like two pushed together) and one large single bed. The room was spacious and had a desk, chair and armchair. There were also tea/coffee making facilities and toiletries although we only used the soap and shower gel.
There was a wardrobe in the room which was handy for us to hang up our dresses for the evening and coats.

We asked the reception to order taxis enough for 8 people to take us to dinner. They gave us a laminated card which confirmed our booking. However, our taxi never turned up and 10 minutes after it was meant to arrive, we ended up just hailing down some taxis that passed by. Not sure what their taxi procedures are but this didn’t seem to be the most efficient! It wasn’t the hotel’s fault though, they did call to chase up the taxis but we ended up doing okay on our own.

Sleep quality was very good, beds were comfy but our aircon didn’t work so the room became very stuffy overnight. We didn’t bother complaining as we only stayed one night and let some air in by opening the windows and propping the door open with the chair! The other rooms in our party had working aircon though.

Check out was smooth and quick, no complaints. I would definitely stay here again. The family rooms were great value for our group sharing and location is great if you like to be by the sea and approx. 15 min walk from the shops.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted you all enjoyed your Hen weekend in Brighton; the hotel is in a very good location and makes it a great base to all the local bars, clubs and restaurants within the city centre.

I do hope you will be returning soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I attended a 3 day conference here in April. Overall I found the service indifferent, my room dark and the décor "tired". The facilities were adequate, but dated. Not good value for money and the management need to up their game if they want to attract quality business custom.

Room Tip: If you have money to spare, choose a sea view room
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was so sorry to read of your disappointment regarding your stay with us, and that the attitude of some members of my team may have marred your stay with us.

Please be assured that I have discussed your feedback with the relevant members of my team and assure you further that the level of service one would expect will be restored.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

The room was big and comfortable with a wonderful view of the sea. The breakfast was quite nice with lots of variety and the restaurant is simply old world lovely. That said, the service could use some help. When we arrived there was a long line at the check in desk and only two people around who seemed to just chat endlessly with the guests. It seemed to take forever to get to the front of the line. Check out was better as we were in the same long line but the concierge too our key when we told him we had no charges. The hall outside our room had dirty room-service trays and housekeeping carts that sat around for the whole of our 24 hour stay, or seemed to. Didn't feel very tidy. All in all, a pretty historic hotel but could do better.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Amy W

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was very sorry to read that we had failed to meet your expectations in certain areas. I would also like to apologise for the delayed service you received upon your check in, these are certainly not the standards we are striving to achieve.

Your feedback will be shared with the relevant management team.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

The hotel, while in a great location, had awful rooms. My room was hot and small, with a stained carpet and an air vent stuck on with sticky tape. The window only opened a fraction so I was unable to get any air into the room. I was provided with a fan upon request, and my colleague actally had a much nicer room, so overall, hit and miss. Staff were great though.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I would like to offer my apologies for the stand of your room, we do take all guest feedback extremely seriously and I very much regret your disappointment on this occasion.

Our bedroom refurbishment programme will be continued in to 2015, which will see some of our older rooms being added.

However it is always a pleasure to ready that our guests find our team to be friendly and helpful during their stay.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Eight of us came as part of my hen weekend to the Hilton for afternoon tea. We were offered a nice long set of tables with comfy chairs and were asked for our drink choices, but weren't offered a menu to see the different tea available. Luckily for me as a non tea drinker, juice and soft drinks were also offered. The glass teapots were pretty cool but I'm not sure they worked too well in practice - the other girls were waiting ages for the tea to brew and it never seemed quite dark enough.

When the food came the amount provided seemed fairly lacking with one (not large) tower between two. At other afternoon teas I've left with a doggy bag, feeling full. Although more scones were provided later there was only one (small) scone each, which when cut open were found to be raw in the middle. At this point we found that we hadn't been given plates and had to use the saucers for the time being. The waitress we told about the plates and scones was very apologetic and dealt with the situation quickly, but we then had to wait 15 minutes whilst more were cooked. I would say that at least they were fresh, but many of us weren't convinced this meant the dough was made fresh - the scones came out with a strange, slightly greenish yellow tinge.
We were then told that they had run out of clotted cream (really not on!) and we were given semi whipped cream and butter instead.

We were told at the beginning that the price had been reduced and I can't help feeling that this was a reflection of the quality, which they must have known had gone down. One of my friends had had afternoon tea at the London Hilton which was really good, so it's a shame that the Brighton Hilton did not live up to the same high standard.
When the bill came we were given one afternoon tea and a couple of extra drinks free without having to ask so we were satisfied with the outcome, if not with the tea itself.

On a side note, we had also used the spa and as we had come from another hotel we had to use the bag hold a few times. The system (what system?) to access this was rubbish and it was so hard to find anyone to ask. One time I followed another couple who were also waiting to the room and asked if I could quickly get to my bag at the same time, the member of staff seemed very harassed and hurried me, it came across quite rude. This needs improvement!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Issey H
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read we did not reach expectations on your recent visit for afternoon tea, and would like to offer my apologies.

I can confirm that on Thursday 8th May we are re- launching our Waterhouse afternoon tea and also introducing our brand new afternoon tea with a twist, Tea by the Sea - Seaside Delights.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when I am confident that you will note a marked improvement.

I would also like to apologise for the lack of service you received from our Concierge your comments have been discussed with the Front Office Manager, at the very outset please accept my unreserved apologies that my team did not demonstrate the service levels which we are normally so proud of.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

seeing some of the reviews, worried about stay.
however, pleasantly surprised.
check in 5 minutes!
lovely room 603. view not great but only used for overnight.
check out 5 minutes.
was this the same hotel as some of the negative reviews?
very quiet at night, nice bed no faults that we could see.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KeithJ_10

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and look forward to seeing you return soon.