“Great room/view/value”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Great room/view/value”
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed last week whilst attending a function at the Grand; great sea view room but spoilt by two things, heating had been left on full and windows closed, took 30 mins to even start to get ready to go out, taking gulps of fresh air through window. Two other couples at the function mentioned the same. Second thing, cheap tv on an angle mount sticking off wall. Both silly things that shouldn't take much to fix?

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, April 2, 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of the issues you experienced and please accept my apologies. Your feedback has been discussed with the relevant members of my team to share with their teams.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Howard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Hotel very centrally located, right on the seafront so handy to get to all attractions and shopping areas. Beautiful old building with grand staircase and dining room with sea view and huge windows with the sun streaming in over breakfast. I would class this is a decent, functional hotel with some smart public areas rather than anything luxury.

The breakfast buffet was good – wide choice including cheese, meats, bread, pastries, cereals, fruit and hot buffet, with the option also of eggs, omelettes etc. being cooked to order. Big plus points for me were that breakfast went on until 11am at the weekend and checkout was at 12. I had a single room which still had a decent amount of space and had all the usual amenities, including kettle, hairdryer, iron, ironing board and in-room safe (and a fridge, which wasn’t cold). Good sized gym with wide variety of equipment – much better than the usual hotel size and standard.

Only two complaints. Firstly the temperature – unbearably hot in the bedroom and also very warm in the public rooms. There was no thermostat in the bedroom and only one of the windows would open, and only an inch, but there was a small plug-in fan that I had to have going all night. This was the first weekend in March, and it had turned suddenly warm so I will give the benefit of the doubt that the hotel was caught unaware on the temperature, but the fact that there was no aircon in the rooms (or my room certainly) would make me wary about staying in the warmer months. Secondly the shower only had one setting – scorching!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry to read that your room was not of the standard you expected and that it did not have air conditioning, not all of our rooms do and the exceptionally warm weather meant some of our rooms did become very hot as the heating had not been turn off in time.

I have asked my Chief Engineer and his team to investigate all temperatures of the showers in single room and take correct action where needed.

Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Okay, the hotel décor is a little tired in places, but it’s a huge building so refurbishment is probably like painting the Forth railway bridge. That said, I guess that if you are allocated a room which is yet to be modernised then you probably wouldn’t be so forgiving, but I had no qualms with the accommodation that I was allocated – all prior requests had been duly noted and served – high level room, away from the elevator and with feather pillows.

Rather than focus my review on the few communal areas of the hotel which are still awaiting a makeover, I have concentrated on the things that matter to me - customer service and food quality, and both of these were second to none throughout my stay. Every member of staff who served me during my three day visit was polite, friendly and efficient and I noticed how staff working in the background also fulfilled their roles both efficiently and quietly. Then there was the food! Every meal (two breakfasts, two lunches and one dinner) were of the highest quality and cooked to perfection.

It is very rare to be able to stay in a hotel where you cannot single out any aspect of service over the rest, but this was my experience during this visit. From check in, through to catering, waiter service, bar staff, concierge, housekeeping and check out, all were excellent. It takes a lot for me to write a Trip Advisor review where I allocate an Excellent rating, so well done the management and staff at the Brighton Metropole Hotel – thoroughly deserved!

Room Tip: Ask for a high level refurbished room with sea view if possible within your budget
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the hotel. It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team made your stay more enjoyable.

Your positive feedback has been discussed with the relevant members of my team to share within their departments.

UK
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed for one night in March 2014 & stayed in room 178 which wasn't a pleasant room. I nicknamed it 'the dungeon'. Windows didn't open and the air-con didn't work either.

Stayed at the hotel courtesy of my airmiles - if I had been paying the hotel rate in £'s I would have insisted on changing room.

Such a shame about the room as it let down the other good parts of the hotel - reception staff were very good & helpful, the facilities at the hotel were also very good (salon, bar etc).

Hotel location is excellent - close to everything in Brighton - shops, pier, Brighton Centre - all within short walking distance of the hotel.

Would only stay there again if I got a reasonable room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls experienced during your stay. I have discussed your feedback with my Chief Engineer and have asked him to inspect room 178 and take appropriate action.

However I am pleased to read you found our team to be friendly and welcoming during your stay.

windsor
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I was really looking forward to staying at the Hilton while I was attending a 3 day course. However I was so disappointed that it didn't live up to the Hilton name. I had booked a single room and when I walked in, it felt like I had been put in the forgotten box room. Ok, so it was clean as far as it could be but it was very tired looking. I think it's best if I write a list of my quibbles.....

Shower/bathroom seriously needs a revamp.
SOOO hot in the room, absolutely no air even with the window open. I didn't have a good night's sleep at all because it was so stuffy and claustrophobic, not great when you need to concentrate every day.
Carpet has seen better days.
Fridge wasn't cold!!!

On a positive note the towels were of good quality even though they could do with supplying a few more. There is tea/coffee facilities.

Onto breakfast, well that was un inspiring, cold porridge, rubber scramble eggs! You would be better to pop along to one of the coffee shops or cafes and get a decent breakfast.

Maybe the larger rooms are better, I don't know, but if you are a single person, I would not recommend this hotel at all. I booked this hotel because I was on my own and wanted to have somewhere to eat in the evening without having to wander around the streets at night looking for a restaurant. As it was, that's exactly what I did because I just wanted to get out. I have stayed in better guest houses for a fraction of the price so next time I visit Brighton that is exactly what I am going to do.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls experienced during your stay. I have discussed your feedback with the relevant members of my team for them to review.

Howard

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed overnight in a sea view room on a lovely sunny day at Brighton. The location was perfect right opposite the West pier. The room was well equipped , very clean and comfortable.

Staff were very helpful and efficient.

Breakfast was very enjoyable and the service was impeccable.

Room Tip: Excellent location right on the seafront
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lesslie10
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you taking the time to add your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As you say the hotel does have a very good location on the beach front making it a great base to explore the local area and all the attractions Brighton has to offer.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed at this hotel one night, room good view, wet dirty carpet, warm fridge that smelt of sewage, old dirty bathroom. Dined in the hotel and had a very upset tum, spent most of the night on the loo. Tried to have a swim when arrived but pool was full of children. So much for a romantic weekend,

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brightonlover2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment you had with both your room and the hotel, please be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.