“36 hours in Brighton”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Brighton Metropole on Friday and I wanted to write to say how fantastic our experience was.
Travelling with a 1yr is sometimes challenging but as soon as we arrived we were made to feel extremely welcome, the staff were great with our little boy, their interaction was lovely and although the Hotel was extremely busy at the time they gave him lots of attention.
Our room was very spacious, a child bed was set up but it was a little too big so we requested a cot instead, this was changed within 5 minutes of making the call.
We used the swimming pool as the weather was rubbish on the Friday afternoon, there were child floats there to use and we had a great time.
We pre booked into the restaurant for dinner at 6:30pm so we could eat and then leave the restaurant in peace to concentrate on the busy period. The food was superb, the children's menu was great and once again the service was great especially Antla (think that's the correct spelling) he was great.

We were checked out by the same person who checked us in and the familiarity in conversation was great and made us feel like a guest not just a number. Ladies name began with M, if that helps.

Working within the industry the above doesn't always happen and its important to say when it does.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CJEmo
There are newer reviews for Hilton Brighton Metropole

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Reception area and outside of hotel look really good, but don't be fooled we stayed in a standard room, but it definitely was not to our standards!!! A window that looked out to no where and didn't open. A bathroom that looked dirty, cracks in bath, so small had to back yourself into a corner to close/open door. No towels - waited for room service to bring them, they had been cleaned but that hair in them?! Very dull old fashioned room. Bed was comfy but didn't sleep a wink as walls are paper thin and could hear next door room having full conversations amongst other things!!!
Breakfast was 10/10 freshly cooked eggs, full English buffet, cold meats etc, fruit salad, cereals , muffins everything you could want.
Parking £18 for day.
Pool, sauna, steam all very good. Changing room showers pointless, didn't work!
Staff were all great, such a shame the basics of what you want from a hotel were such a let down.
Will never say here again, although would like to pop in for breakfast!

Room Tip: Don't ever stay in a standard room not sure what the others are like hopefully 10 x better!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary M
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I ended up staying here at very short notice, but the staff were excellent. The rooms were a little tired and overall i think the place could use some investment. It certainly is not one of the best Hiltons i have stayed in. That said the location is superb and it has its own car park at the back, although be warned the kerbs are very high on the way in and out and i damaged an alloy (my fault) so be warned. Only thing that really bothered me was the bar food stopped at 10-00 so i couldnt eat there.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front, mine wasnt !
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here recently for 3 nights.
Room was small but practical.
Broadband was £15 for 24hrs.
Automatic service charge when drinking at the bar in the hotel. That's a joke!
Breakfast was okay, concentrate oj was awful.
Staff were friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights for a conference. I found the room to be comfortable but a little compact. All the usual amenities were present an in good order except the sink which had a damaged plug so I couldn't use it.

The bed was comfortable with adequate pillows and clean fresh linen. The bathroom was a little small and claustrophobic. The view from my widow was of the wall opposite so not very inspiring.

Breakfast was OK but I have had much better from cheaper establishments, the lack of fish options was disappointing and a lack of butter alternatives also.

I have stayed here in the past and I can say that it is very much improved. Colleagues stayed at the Mercure which is a short distance away, they reported a much more diverse breakfast menu which included smoked haddock and kippers.

I would be happy to stay there again but would search elsewhere that accommodates my particular dietary needs.

I would score it 3.5 out of five, not average but not very good either.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to Tripadvisor.

Your feedback is very important to us at the Hilton Brighton Metropole. Your observations and opinions are appreciated as they enable us to assess the standards of our facilities and services.

I have shared your comments regarding our breakfast choices with both my Executive Head Chef and Director of Operations to review.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My partner and I went to Brighton for the weekend and stayed here for one night on the 12th October 2013. On arrival I was very impressed with the grand entrance, however it went downhill from there... We asked the staff where the best place to park was, they were very helpful and told us to stay in their car park but we would be charged £18... Considering we had just paid £200 for the room I wouldn't have thought we would get charged extra to park aswell. The car park was very dark and dingy and you could barely fit your car in the space as the parking spaces were so small.

After seeing the grand, luxurious entrance I was expecting our room to be of the same quality however we were very disappointed. It was very old and dated and in need of much tlc. Wallpaper peeling off the walls, tiles coming loose and missing in the bathroom, dated mismatched furniture and the television was of poor quality and didn't work properly. We stayed on the first floor and we could hear the music downstairs til late at night. The spa was very nice but the changing facilities also need updating as very old and tired.

On the plus side the location was ideal, breakfast was good and all staff were friendly however we won't be staying here again as we feel its not very good value for money especially for a Hilton Hotel. Maybe once it's had a refurb it may be worth a second chance...

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to Tripadvisor.

Your feedback is very important to us at the Hilton Brighton Metropole. I am sorry to read of your disappointment with the hotel and that you felt your room fell below the Hilton standard. The hotel is in the process of refurbishing and redecorating a large number of its rooms which will also be carried through to 2014.

Regarding the charge for the car park, due to us being a city hotel we do offer a very competitive rate within the city centre, we then offer a 50% discount off the original price to our hotel guests, which then brings the price down to £18.00 per 24 hours.

I would like to offer my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have just returned from a two night stay at the hotel and was allocated on the first night a nice double room on the second floor. Not much of a view if you are not into NCP car parks, but the room was fresh and clean. Everything worked as it should and the shower was hot and powerful. The following night I had to change rooms because the first night was booked by the conference organisers and the second by my employer. The second night was in a single room the other side of the building with a view over Oueensbury Square. This room was less glamorous, but it was functional. The down point for me was the awful rock hard bed, it was like sleeping on a board. The first night the bed had been reasonably comfortable!
The second room had a fixed shower head instead of one that you can take down, not as useful in my opinion.
The second room had threadbare carpet around the door posts, I have no idea why as its not exactly a high wear area!!
The breakfast on both mornings was lovely, huge selection and very attentive staff, lovely pot of hot tea. I liked that I was able to have eggs cooked to order.

All in all a good stay, nice staff and fantastic location for the conference centre.

Room Tip: Well I suppose a sea view would have been nice!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to Tripadvisor.

Your feedback is very important to us at the Hilton Brighton Metropole. I was sorry to learn that you felt the bed to be very uncomfortable. All of our mattresses have been replaced in the last 18 months to the Hilton Serta Mattress and they have also now been provided with a new mattress topper which should provide an excellent and relaxing night’s sleep and I will certainly review this with my Rooms Divisions Manager.

I was delighted to read that you found all team members that you came in contact with were friendly and that you enjoyed our Hilton breakfast.