“Standards falling” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Standards falling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Hilton several times over the last 8 years and it is not the wow factor we once knew.
Whilst the service is still good, the bedrooms could do with a lick of paint and TLC. The shower lacked pressure and the bathroom floor was dirty. Breakfast was average, although the buffet was always well stocked, it was either overcooked, or had been sitting a while!
The Health club is the perk we go back for though, its good to have a swim when its raining on the beach!
The park in the dark car park joins the rest of the hotel...overpriced, and in need of maintenance!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HiltonBrighton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Your comments in regards to your most recent stay with us, has been shared with the relevant heads of department to review within their teams.

I can confirm the hotel will continue to refurbish more of its bedrooms in 2013 & 2014, In regards to the car parking due to us being a city hotel we do offer a 50% discount to our Hotel guests, once the discount is applied the price works out at £16.00 per night to all Hotel Residents.

The feedback on the lighting in the car park has be discussed with our Facilities team to investigate.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis

Ross

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

There are some nice rooms at this hotel, but I didn't get one. If you're unlucky you too could spend a miserable time in a dingy, dirty room looking out on to a concrete wall. The room was cold and the bathroom was tiny with mould round the taps and cracks through the basin. All the furniture looked as if it had been collected from a second hand store. Outside, a security light shone through the curtains all night so I couldn't even sleep through some of it. Hard to believe a Hilton hotel could contain a room like this. If you must stay at this hotel, avoid the 1st floor.

Room Tip: Get a refurbished room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chb94
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with all aspects of your stay with us, due to the age and style of our hotel our bedrooms do come in all different shapes and sizes, the hotel is still in the process of refurbishing and redecorating a large number of rooms which will be carried through to 2014.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and please be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Ross

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

This imposing building dating back I think to Regency /Victorian times dominates the seafront at the north end of Brighton overlooking the defunct North Pier burnt down many years ago.. It is obviously well maintained by its current owners and the imposing entrance and brightly carpeted foyer is a welcome change from the current facades and marble entrances of many modern hotels.
Very helpful Concierge and staff and smiling Reception added to the initial impression. I asked for a Sea-Front room with a walk-in shower (my partner can not step into baths) and they could not have been more helpful. The newly decorated room was excellent - large, modern with all mod cons - Big flat screen TV, Internet, fully equipped with every conceivable extra. The view from the balcony was striking and it was a pleasure to sit on it and soak in the seaside sounds. Because of the wide corridors solid doors the room was very quiet at all times

A visit to the superbly decorated Dining Room is recommended . It is large with the tables nicely spaced so you are not eating in someones lap . A good varied menu reasonably priced and a first class wine list. Order was taken efficiently and the meal well presented and passably cooked and served correctly.

The main bar opposite the Restaurant is large and boasts efficient table service. A good bar snacks menu is available. This is a busy Conference venue so the bar can be noisy and full of Conference delegates enjoying their after conference free time so be prepared! There is a convenient Hotel Car park beneath the building ,always useful in Brighton , and I was not charged for its use.

All in all highly recommended if you like a well managed hotel with a difference , and do not forget to visit the Queens Arms Pub at the rear of the Hotel - Brightons smallest pub!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front of the Hotel and enjoy the sea and the passing life. the suites are a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Russell,

Thank you for adding the review of your recent stay,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay with us and I was pleased to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the hotel.

I am delighted you found our team to be friendly and professional throughout your stay, we do get a lot of positive comment on team members and it is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team made your stay more enjoyable.

The positive comments have made about your dining experience in both our Waterhouse Restaurant and Waterhouse bar & terrace has been shared with our Executive Head Chef and the Waterhouse teams.

I do look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel probably around 40 times. The Hilton breakfast used to be one of the highlights of each visit.

There used to be so much choice and the quality used to always be of a high standard. Unfortunately due to cost cutting this is no longer the case.

The choice and quality of the food had deteriorated quite noticeably. Stay there from 4th to 6th June. The first morning breakfast was just about passable although we commented that it was not as good as it used to be.

Second morning it was truly awful, Waited 20 minutes for a pot of tea to then find the waitress gave it to another table. Another 10 minutes for one to arrive.

The quality of the hot food has definitely gone downhill. Now you get greasy streaky bacon, low quality sausages, dried up mushrooms and cold congealed fried eggs that have been lying around for an age. They used to have a chef cook eggs but obviously this is no longer the case. It all looked very unappetising.

The cold selection was no better all dried up and a vastly reduced selection to what used to be offered.

Nobody was replenishing any of the dishes so it meant there was no white bread or even HP sauce and no one around to ask for it to be replenished.

I am a HHonors Diamond member and expect better than this. The team are still very friendly and always try to make sure that you are OK.

The room we had was fine, but as I said earlier I always looked forward to breakfast here and now it really disappoints.

I really am beginning to wonder why I am staying so loyal to Hilton when these cost cutting standards are being introduced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ant1gua
HiltonBrighton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments following your recent stay with us and I am sorry to read of your disappointments about the hotel.

I have shared you comments with both my Executive Head Chef and Restaurant Manager in regards to the quality of the breakfast and various breakfasts items either missing or slow to be replenished to review with their teams.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Amazing staff, as a wheelchair user I never felt like I was putting anyone out, couldnt have been more helpful. Only issues was the comfort, or lack of, of the bed. Breakfast was awesome and the location is lovely right on the seafront in Brighton

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Kellie L
Dear Kellie,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay with us and I was delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the hotel.

It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team made your stay more enjoyable. I have shared your comments regarding the comfort of the bed with my rooms Divisions Manager to review.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We booked this hotel on Lastminute.com as a secret location type deal and paid £80 for the night. So it was a bargain. The room we was given wasn't great. It was dark and facing the back of the building. It was very small and I found it made me feel quite enclosed.
Location is great and the staff are very helpful. Great for a cheap deal but wouldn't have been happy if I had paid full price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Petal,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments following your recent stay with us and I am sorry to read of your disappointments of your room.

However I am delighted you found our team to be friendly and professional throughout your stay, as you say the hotel does have a great location for our guests to explore our city centre.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcoming you back soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here 3 times in the past year as it is the only Hilton property in the Brighton area. The hotel is located on the beach with nice albeit foggy views of the ocean. The rooms are spacious yet lacked modern style. What irked me the most was the fact that the Internet was ungodly slow. I meat dial up 56 k modem slow and you're limited to the number of devices.

My housekeeper came in at 9am on checkout day. There is no executive lounge for diamond guests and parking is awful.

The breakfast was good. I only stay here because it is a Hilton property. The staff are very nice and accommodating but the property needs a freshening.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HiltonBrighton, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with all aspects of your stay with us, please accept my apologies for the issues you have had with the internet, we are at this moment in time investigating the reason why this is happening with our Internet provider BT and hope to get this resolved soon.

I have shared your comments regarding the time that housekeeping came to your room with our rooms Divisions Manager to review within his team.

However I am delighted you found our team to be friendly and professional throughout your stay, we do get a lot of positive comment on team members, and took the time to enjoy our Hilton breakfast.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.