“Average? only just”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Only just average.

We had been so looking forward to the promotional champagne breakfast just as a bit of a treat. Perhaps Sunday was not the best of days to choose.

The dining hall is a very pleasant room, set on two levels and clean. On this visit it was crowded and not much elbow room between clientele.

This was a ‘champagne breakfast’ drinks were served at the table by the glass, not poured from a chilled bottle as should be expected. For all we knew it might have been blancs de blancs.

The coffee was not great and was not hot. The juice bat offered a decent selection but I suspected juice by the box, not by the squeeze.

The worst single offence was a request for brown sauce, this received a response of a pointed finger to somewhere in the direction of the buffet, when in a hotel there should have been service. I realise that is was busy, but if I had wanted to serve myself I might have choose the all you can eat buffet bat at pizza hut, not an establishment with a reputation of one of Brighton’s former glory hotels.

It could have been so much better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank EatingPlenty
There are newer reviews for Hilton Brighton Metropole

Reviewed March 5, 2013

A shadow of it's former elegant glory.
Stayed on the 1st floor in a Soul-less king double room which was a paid for upgrade.
Matresses were dipped in the middle, quilt didn't quite touch the edges. Requested synthetic pillows due to allergy were washed out, flat & hard and didn't smell clean or fresh, I put a towel over them before my head on them. Plastic opaque sticky back, covered drafty windows. Furniture was undersized for the room size & 1970s teak looking. Fridge was empty, no complimentary water. There was a good choice of herbal o r regular teas and coffee making facilities. Biscuit was drab. Not enough lighting for the size of room, beside lights , standard lamp & desk spot light inadequate for room size so was dark & dingey. Upper floors 4&5 were crammed with hen-do s. Despite being on the 1st floor I was woken at 3.25am & had to call Reception to sort the noise out. The room door had clearly been broken into previously with cracked door frame & loose lock.
Toiletries were Thomas Roth, recognised in the US. But not so well known in the UK.
The saving grace was the therapists in the Spa. So very helpful with recommendations, booking & aligning slots & delivered treatments with care. Very engaging conversation if required. Highly commend these therapists. well done girls !
The main pool area had no where to sit & the steam room was jammed full. The treatment steam room was better.
Sunday morning breakfast cost £17, eggs were made from liquid egg mix, they couldn't replenish fast enough and it wasn't possible to have a full breakfast because the kitchen couldn't keep pace with demand. equally couldn't clean & tidy up properly !
The restaurant seats 200, however 500 were booked in for breakfast & they hadn't anticipated that people would lay in and come down later on a Sunday, so average wait time at the door was 10mins. Restaurant manager was rude & clearly stressed.
With the exception of the spa, i wouldn't recommend anyone stay here unless you're attending a hen-do, don't mind a bad nights sleep in very poor accommodation. Given it's history it was very sad to see such a formerly beautiful property reduced to an on Mass hen-do revenue generating offering.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and stay at The Grand next door ! Stay off the upper floors, the better business...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stay with the Hilton Group quite frequently and have come to expect a certain standard! The Hilton Brighton fell somewhat short of this certainly in terms of the room. The temperature was so hot I woke feeling very de hydrated and with a headache! The decor was tired and the door looked like someone had tried to kick it down. There were only two lifts and in the morning one was out of order which meant trying to get in the one remaining one was almost impossible. We took to the stairs despite being on the top floor. On a more poistive note, the breakfast was good with great variety although the limited staff struggled to clear tables quick enough to meet demand and getting fresh tea and coffee was a struggle. The staff at check in were helpful and polite but I am not sure I would stay here again!

Room Tip: High rooms are quieter as it tends to be noisy at night when the pubs/clubs kick out but the 6th flo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola S
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Nicola S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments following your recent stay with us and I am sorry to read of your disappointments about the hotel due to the temperature in your room.

Please accept my apologies for the lack of information given to you during your stay with us as we have four lifts in the hotel for our hotel guests to use, two in our main lobby and two by the side entrance of the hotel. I have since discussed this with my Front of House Manager to ensure we are redirecting our guests when needed.

I was delighted to read that you and found our reception team to be friendly and helpful and you enjoyed our famous Hilton Breakfast. Your comments on the standard of service you received at breakfast has been shared with my Restaurant Manager to address within his team.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We paid for our family to stay at the Hilton Brighton. The rooms were all very modern and the rooms had direct views of the sea. A very comfortable stay for our family and a great location for getting around in town and on the seafront.

Room Tip: Sea views rooms are worth paying the extra money for
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear SimonBrightonBN2,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following you and your family’s recent stay at Hilton Brighton Metropole.

The hotel as you say has a great location and with the facilities we provide and refurbishments we have made is a great base from which to explore the local area.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I arrived early on friday morning to work from the hotel, expecting to be sat in the lobby running the internet off a dongle, however I was guided to the business suite and provided with a desk and a free wifi code. It is a perfect work environment however the wifi requires a login every hour which is a bit annoying if using a VPN...

I checked in using the HHonors queue and was greeted by helpful staff who upgraded my room as part of the HHonors scheme, and also printed some documents I needed and sent them to my room.

The room itself (305) I would highly recommend.It was massive with a balcony and a view of the old pier. Provisions in the room were well stocked, and gambling on not stuffing a washbag into my bag paid off as all toiletries were high quality.

Breakfast was very good considering the Saturday morning rush at 1030; checkout efficient; and parking was reasonably priced. Brighton is always a pleasure, improved by the level of service and quality of the room at the Hilton Metropole.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear LiHiHo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects your stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to read our team have provided you a wonderful experience, throughout your stay. I was delighted that you enjoyed our Hilton breakfast as we do get a lot of very positive comments on it.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

i must say i was very worried when we arrived at the hilton in brighton, after reading the reviews, we arrived to a beautiful hotel, our room was very nice just a little small, the only grumble i have there was a lot of sand in the swimming pool, breakfast was fantastic, our stay was really great and wish we could of stayed longer, we are looking to book again in the easter hols, i did think it reminded me of the titanic but my husband and little boy didnt think the same, we loved it here, and god knows what people were moaning about, loved it

Room Tip: our room was 227
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Julie W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following you and your family’s recent stay with us I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects your stay with us.

I have shared your comment with our LivingWell Manager to investigate the sand in the pool as this is very unusual, however I was pleased that you and your family took the time to enjoy our Hilton breakfast as we do get a lot of very positive comments on it.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Room
Lovely, huge room: with a massive double bed. Bigger than a Kingsize. Bit dark as I was at one side of the building with a view of some scaffolding, but other than this pretty much a perfect room.

Bathroom also large, with a shower over bath. Decent toiletries and even included conditioner.

Conference Facilities
Decent enough rooms - some of them windowless and a bit soulless but OK. I've been in worse! Not enough plug sockets, and those that there were were midway up the wall so created an interesting situation when people tried to move.

There's also a little business suite with photocopiers etc. - nominal charges for.

Restaurant
Breakfast spread is brilliant, everything from full english and all you'd expect in a continental. Good croissants too!They'll warm them up for you if you ask.

Included fresh fruit (not tinned).

We had lunch as part of the conference - a buffet so very easy to go in at different times and eat on the hop. Food very good for a hot buffet if nothing special in the grand scheme of things.

Great: porter on hand near reception for any questions etc. Waiting staff all more than happy to help, if seeming a little stressed over the lunchtime rushes.

Location
Right on the seafront, everything you could want nearby. Lovely view, and very convenient for an evening wander!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Pentala,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Brighton Metropole while attending your conference.

I was delighted to read that you and found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us, and you enjoyed our famous Hilton Breakfast. I have shared you comments with our C&E Manager regarding the service at lunch, and your thoughts on the buffet lunch with our Executive Head Chef for their review.