“Decent Hotel”

Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Decent Hotel”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a Thursday night with an offer that my sister found on a website. Reception were kind enough to allow us to check in early to get ready for a function, which was very useful. The room was spacious, clean with slightly dated furniture and decoration but that would be my only negative comment. The beds were extremely comfortable. We were on the second floor and it was was very quiet. Breakfast was very nice and service good. The common areas are very comfortable and well maintained and constantly saw staff cleaning. We used the pool facilities which were very pleasant and had afternoon tea which was decent and hit the spot. All in all a very good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LondonLassy
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear LondonLassy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay with us and I was delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the hotel.

It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team made your stay more enjoyable, and you enjoyed our famous Hilton Breakfast.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Brussels
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My mother and I stayed at this hotel on a trip to Brighton to see Donny & Marie (excellent, by the way!). We were really welcomed by the front desk staff, who checked us in early (around 11.30am) without any problems. They did everything to make our stay pleasant. We stayed in a twin room which was comfortable, but could have done with some refreshing, especially the bathroom. The room and bathroom were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. We weren't keen on the bathroom; firstly, as soon as you stepped into the bathroom you wobbled on the first two tiles which were loose; secondly you had a low panel around the walk-in shower and a shower curtain - a bit awkward. On checking out I informed front desk about the loose tiles and they said they would deal with it. We had sandwiches at the hotel bar in the evening, which were delicious. The service was extremely slow and we were in a hurry to go to the show, but we asked to take the leftover sandwiches away with us and there was no problem. Breakfast was excellent and when I asked for gluten-free bread I got it with a smile. I paid for use of the carpark and this was a very comfortable solution. All in all, we had a very pleasant short stay and would go again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear SusannahB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed the service from our breakfast team and also our superb breakfast

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room. I can confirm the hotel will continue to refurbish more of its bedrooms in 2013.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed the service from the team here and also our superb breakfast

I have spoken to Brendan Shannon our Food & Beverage Manager who would like to offer his apologies for the slow service you received in our Waterhouse bar & terrace, and would like to assure you that this is not indicative of our normal levels of service or standards

Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the Hilton Brighton Metropole Hotel to attend a company meeting. This was my third visit to Brighton and I was always fortunate enough to avoid this hotel; yet this time I ran out of luck. And the hotel's bad repudiation did not disappoint to disappoint.

The hotel is conveniently located at the Brighton's sea front, just a little further down the coast than some other hotels, yet still within convenient walking distance to town centre, the pier or the station.

This hotel actually seems to get most of its business from conventions, meetings etc, and as such is rather big and seems always busy. With the consequence that the hotel's fairly compact lobby and public areas are almost too small. One is forced to constantly wait to access staff, which however is still trying their best to help and be polite and friendly, which I can imagine must be difficult.

Once left the lobby; you enter a world of dirty windows, broken lights, worn-out carpets and furniture that desperately is waiting to retire. While the rooms are of a decent size, they only appear clean at first sight. Areas of the carpets that are not immediately visible seem not to have met any vacuum cleaner in the last couple of months/years, curtains are soaked in dust and dirt and have a black edge to them and overall the place just doesn't feel clean or maintained to the point of making me feel uncomfortable.

The bed was horrible! It was actually tilting to one side; sleeping on an uneven surface is certainly not my definition of a good night's rest. The hotel also doesn't feature real down bedding.

Bathroom inline with the room was fairly big; yet cleaning and maintenance issues were as present in here as in other parts of the room.

Breakfast was typically British and okay; the breakfast room is crowded and again almost too small for the size of the hotel yet. The offering is standard and really everything you can ask for.

The hotel's bar is fairly big and not very cozy; while the bar staff is nice and friendly, it's a rather noisy and cold place that's not exactly inviting to relax.

All in all: avoid if possible!
I can imagine this hotel being fairly cost competitive compared to some of the other big convention hotels in Brighton and it does show in what you get. Yet some degree of maintenance and renewal of worn out decoration and furniture can still be expected.
Credits however to the staff trying hard to still make sure you have a good time.

+Staff trying hard and friendly
+Loation
-Maintenance
-Cleanliness
-Sleep quality

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear byswiss,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay and I am sorry to read that you felt your stay fell below the Hilton standard and did not meet any of your expectations. The hotel is in the process of refurbishing and redecorating a large number of rooms.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Guy

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Well my fiance and I booked a four night stay herewhen we were visiting Brighton for a meeting regarding our wedding arrangements. We thought we'd make a little holiday out of it and also met friends down there.
First of all, the website we booked through did not mention the outrageous parking charges for guests. Yes if you book direct through the hotel, then theres a mention of a 'charge' but the website didn't mention it's approx £15 a day to guests! We ended up parking our car miles away and lugging our suitcases to the beachfront.
Secondly when we got to our room and decided to admire the 'beach view' we recieved an eyeful of scaffolding instead! At no point during the booking process was there a mention of building work going on, and no body had the curtosy to tell us during check in. As if that wasn't enough, we were woken up every morning at around 7am of our 'holiday' to drilling, hammering and building work going on, as well as the builders shouting to one another outside our windows calling each other C**** and using the F word continuously. We found this shocking, extremely rude and unprofessional and it lowered the standard of the hotel considerably.
I called the reception twice during the stay to complain about the noise but we were being quite blatantly ignored.
Before we left we asked to speak to management because our trip had been thoroughly ruined. First of all he greeted my fiance only, addressed him and shook his hand, and then say down and completely ignored me. Which I found really rude and left me feeling really degraded. Then after we explained why we were unhappy he offered us a 'coffee for your departure" and basically sent us packing.
Overall, we were thouroughly disappointed and I suggest if you want a pleasant stay, to be treated as a human being and respected as a paying customer, then I seriously recommend you choose anywhere else in Brighton to spend your stay!!

• Stayed March 2012
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Marriedladyxx,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments following your recent stay with us and I am sorry to read of your disappointments with the hotel. I would like to extend my most sincere apologies to you for not meeting your expectations.

We have commenced the repainting of all our bedroom corridors and a further number of bedrooms will be refurbished in 2013. I am sorry to read that the service within the hotel did not meet your expectations, as we regularly receive very positive comments from our guests regarding the helpfulness and friendliness of our team I will certainly discuss this with my Heads of Department.

In regards to the car parking due to being a city hotel we do offer a very competitive rate to our Hotel guests, a 50% discount off the original price is offered to our in house residents this is paid on departure at our main reception desk once the discount is applied the price works out at £16.00 per night, all information on parking charges are on the main website for the hotel and also on the confirmation sent to our guests when they have made a booking.

I have shared your comments with my Director of Operations Damian Meadows who would also like to offer his apologies and would be delighted to discuss your stay with you in more detail to resolve your dissatisfaction.

Please contact the hotel directly on 01273 775432 and ask to speak to Damian Meadows Director of Operations details he would be more than happy to call you.

London
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stay in Brighton regularly but not usually at the metropole ( mainly the grand and the du vin) .. On this occasion I had Hilton honour points so thought why not try .. I was really pleasantly surprised.
The hotel has its own carpark, a big bonus for Brighton and at £16 per night well priced too .. Brighton is a nightmare for parking that does not need a second morgage. There is a nice leisure complex though I did not use this. Reception was well manned and all the staff where very pleasant. The hotel is located right opposite the beach and five minutes walk from the lanes so ideal location.
The room was the biggest surprise, very well appointed and obviously recently referbed.. Everything was spotless and I had a beautiful view looking out over the beach... Could not find fault in any aspect.
As a note the hotel has a nice bar .. Though the bar man did not know how to make a chocolate martini .. They may need to top up on the cocktail arena...
Also the hotel takes dogs .. Another bonus as Brighton is a great place to take your dog when the sun is out as there are plenty of outside dinning and drinking spaces.
All in all a very pleasant stay and would definetly consider again on my next visit ...

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear jlmaryon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects your stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to read our team have provided you a wonderful experience, throughout your stay. The hotel as you say has a great location and makes a great base from which to explore the local area.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your Waterhouse experience, your feedback regarding the cocktails has been shared with our Food & Beverage Manager to share with his team.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Spent another lovely week-end at this great hotel. As soon as you step through the doors you feel relaxed and as if you have stepped into another era. Beautiful marble staircase, spacious
reception area and friendly staff. We stayed on the 6th floor which was really quiet.Had a relaxing swim in the pool, enjoyed the use of jacuzzi and sauna.Ate out of hotel in the evening but had the most delicious breakfast the next morning - so much choice - plenty of cold meats and cheeses, fresh fruits, yoghurts, full English, pastries and a lovely friendly waitress too.
Will definitely return.

Room Tip: The 6th floor room we had was very quiet and spacious.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cobblers1961,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Brighton Metropole.

I was delighted to read that you and found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us, and you enjoyed our famous Hilton Breakfast. The hotel as you say does have great facilities and is close to everything to enable you to explore the local area.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This large and slightly dated hotel is in prime position on Brighton's seafront - but also close to shops, The Lanes and centres of entertainment - including the monstrosity that passes as the Odeon - just avoid West Street!

This is a large Hilton Hotel and thus one supposes it would be the same corporate anonymity as elsewhere - but this myth is shattered by a staff team that really cares - keen to sort out any problems and make one feel valued.

Rooms are large and spacious - at least the second one we occupied! Food in the restaurant is good and the breakfast great - even with Howard the eggman's comic turns!

Great wekend and a great hotel requiring some updating - but maybe not too much - it must never lose its faded gentility - but without compormising on 4 star creature comforts!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Laurie R,

It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team made your stay more enjoyable, and you enjoyed our famous Hilton Breakfast I have shared your positive comments with Howard.