“Ok for resting your head.”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Ok for resting your head.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

After staying at the Hilton Manchester last week, I assumed that all Hilton Hotels would be similar. I stayed at the Brighton Metropole on Saturday evening, and even though the public areas of the hotel were very grand and well kept, the rooms were a little worse for wear to say the least.

My room on the 6th floor was very tired and old fashioned. A rather spacious and open room but requires much TLC and a new lease of life! Stains on the carpet, marks on the wall and very old fitted bathroom. I reluctantly didn't take a hair dryer as the Hilton in Manchester provided each room with modern appliances - The Metropole has a built in hairdryer in the bathroom which does about the same as sticking your head out the window - useless!
The TV only had 5/6 channels and 3/4 radio stations. Lighting quite poor with old fashioned lighting.

Staff very friendly at reception and concierge. Didn't get to experience breakfast but looked delicious!

Parking is available in their underground car park. We were charged £16 for 24 hours - but be careful, very hard to maneuver around if you have a larger vehicle.

Would consider visiting again, but not for a luxurious stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear JadeyNunn,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Brighton Metropole.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room. I can confirm the hotel will continue to refurbish more of its bedrooms in 2013.

However I am delighted you found our team to be friendly and professional throughout your stay, as we do get a lot of positive comment on team members.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. Regrettable the first was rather poor and almost put me off coming back.
On the first occasion I was allocated a family room with broken door lock (need to have the key card replaced 4 times), broken trouser press, non-functioning mini bar and stained wall and carpets.
It appears that this part of the hotel is awaiting refurbishments as, on my second stay, i was given a much nicer room - modern, clean and very comfortable.
The staff are friendly but didn't really go out of their way to help on my first stay. The food is good and reasonable for a hotel of this quality.
The location, right on the seafront, is perfect and hopefully I will get lucky and be allocated a room with a sea view on a future stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Julian R
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Julian R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your second stay with us at Hilton Brighton Metropole.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspect of you stay this time round and found our team to be friendly and helpful, and you also took time to enjoy our famous Hilton Breakfast.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

east sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Once again we have been to this hotel, for our cream tea, and as usual cannot fault it, staff great so helpfull, plus they remembered us from last year, it is worth it, food was very good the scones are something else, will go again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Gerry66,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent trip to Brighton.

I am delighted to read that your second experience on joining us again for our afternoon tea met the same standard as before and that you found our team to still be very friendly and helpful.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Twickenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

hiton,at xmas was first class,for the money,staff great and helpfull,and on arrival,wecomed by a wonderfull lady called maureen,with hot wine and mince pies, and carol,singers,for 75 pounds includind b/fast,per night,more than 1 can say for comfort inn ramsgate,i will def be back again,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear paul m,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your Christmas stay with us and I was delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the hotel.

It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team made your stay more enjoyable, your comments have been shared with Maureen.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards

Bedford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic 2 night break with my family at the Hilton Brighton Metropole. I've been collecting Hilton Honour points for a while, and it was great to be able to book a family room using points and cash. I also love the Hilton Standby Upgrade service, which gives you the chance to pre-book room upgrades if they have spare availability on the day. We managed to upgrade from a family room to a suite with separate lounge and dining room for a great price.

We arrived on Friday night, where Marianne checked us in. She was great with the kids and offered a warm welcome. The suite was fantastic; they'd prepared the room in advance to include 2 roll-on beds for our 3 and 5 year olds, and the housekeeping staff had created little swans, elephant and other creatures using the towels. It was a fantastic start; the last time I had towel animals was my Honeymoon at a 5star hotel in Thailand.

As you'll see from my other Hilton review (Budapest), the Hilton Breakfasts are fantastic and well worth pre-booking. Kids eat free. Staff are fantastic, and a special thanks to the chef for making chocolate pancakes for Amelie.

They've recently renovated the Bar, and it's a huge improvement on the old one. A lot more welcoming, more funky and relaxed. Service was excellent.

Pros:
+ Friendly staff and great service
+ If you book a sea-view, fantastic views across to the pier
+ Excellent breakfast and a fab bar
+ Child friendly staff, offering kids packs to enterain them
+ Location and proximity to the town, lanes, and sea-front.

Cons:
+ WIFI is expensive; £15+ for 24 hours. Why do hotels charge so much.
(Here's an idea: Let me prebook WIFI alongside other hotel options for £5 in advance?)
+ The little things: I was charged £4 for some bedtime milk for the kids. Quite a lot, considering on previous stays it was free.

Ignore the cons. This is a great hotel and the staff are great. Thanks to everyone for making it a great stay.

Room Tip: Book a sea-view for great views from the front of the hotel. Once I'd booked, I then received a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Adrian D
Dear Adrian D,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following you and your family’s recent stay at Hilton Brighton Metropole.

I was delighted to read that you all found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us, and you enjoyed our famous Hilton Breakfast, and the pancakes went down a treat.

The hotel as you say has a great location and with the facilities we provide and refurbishments we have made is a great base from which to explore the local area. I am also delighted enjoy the many positive changes we have made to the hotel and see a vast improvement, with all our food and beverage offerings.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the near future.

Kingston on Thames Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were a party of 22 women who stayed at the Hilton for a hen night in Brighton. The rooms were booked and fully paid for a couple of months in advance and we specifically asked for twin rooms.. On arriving at the hotel it was soon apparent that NO twin rooms had been booked for us. We were told that we would have to take up the issue with the manager on the following Monday. The double room that I stayed in was cramped. The decor was tired and dated and the plumbing was ridiculously noisy. Doors slammed along the corridor into the early hours as other guests returned to their rooms.

Room Tip: I don't believe that the hotel considers specific room requests when booking. They certainly di...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Amanda L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments following your recent stay with us and I am sorry to read of your disappointments with the hotel. I would like to extend my most sincere apologies to you for not meeting your expectations.

I have shared your comments with my Reservations Manager who would also like to offer his apologies and would be delighted to discuss your booking with you in more detail to resolve your dissatisfaction.

Please contact the hotel directly on 01273 775432 and ask to speak to Aaron Baker and he would be more than happy to speak to you.

Regards
Guy

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I wanted to find an affordable place to stay in the centre of Brighton for a romantic night away for my wife's birthday and I really don't think you can go wrong with this place.
The staff were friendly and efficient, the room, a standard double, was on the small side but spotlessly clean and modern. The bed was really comfortable and we had no issues with noise.
Parking was easy and affordable at £16 for the whole stay and the location perfect for access to the bustling lanes. The health facilities were good but my only complaint was that the pool was far too cold for my liking.
We didn't actually use the restaurant but the menu did look good and was reasonably priced. The bar and communal areas all added a touch of elegance to our stay.
In all I think it was very well priced and we would definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Dangelis06,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your romantic get away at Hilton Brighton Metropole.

I was delighted to read that you and found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us.

The hotel as you say has a great location and with the facilities we provide and refurbishments we have made is a great base from which to explore the local area, your feedback regarding the temperature of the pool has been shared with our LivingWelll Manager to review.