“Some good, some not so good ...”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Charlwood, United Kingdom
“Some good, some not so good ...”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

By far the best breakfast I have had anywhere for many, many years. It really was very good. Two qute small points for improvement . . . firstly, the attentive waiting staff in the restaurant are super efficient at cleaning away used crockery and cutlery - they were a tad too efficient for me - I'd have preferred if they just left it with us for another minute or 2. Secondly, the coffee was not fantastic. It was okay, but compared to the rest of the breakfast it was very ordinary. I'm not sure if it was instant or filter, but I hope the Hilton don't pay a lot of money for it.

The occasion for our stay was a works Christmas 'do' at the venue and we had a special offer room rate. Our room was on the 1st floor, right over the ballroom disco. As we had an early start next day, we also had a slightly earlier night, and the music was very, very loud in our room.

The room was sizeable, and quite well furnished, but looked tired. Bed very comfortable. Heating fine. Wifi connection in the room very poor and at £15 per day, not very good value. Unable to connect to free wifi in ballrooms, but lobby seemed ok.

Overnight parking reasonable at £16, but car park a long way from reception and requires a short outdoor walk. Weather was ok for us, but that cannot be guaranteed.

The hotel lighting was strange, with the corridors practically floodlit by weird looking energy saving bulb arrays, whilst the lobbies and stairs are distinctly dark.

I don't think I'd choose to stay there unless attending an event in the hotel.

Room Tip: Not the 1st floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Crispness
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Crispness,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Brighton Metropole.

I was delighted to read that you and found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay with us, and you enjoyed our famous Hilton Breakfast.
I have shared your comments regarding the standard of coffee and the clearing of your cutlery and crockery with our Food & Beverage Manager for this review.

Hotel does offer complimentary WIFI in the public area of the hotel for our guest to use, your comments on the lighting in the main corridors has been shared with our Facilities team to investigate.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We booked this hotel for one night only after being told by their reservations department we were guaranteed a smoking double room which was confirmed by email. After the drive from London and a long queue of traffic to get into the road to enter the hotel car park, we were told by reception when checking in that a smoking room was not availble and this could have only have been a request by me, but not promised. I then produced a printout of the email which said we were guaranteed a smoking room, do not move. The receptionist told me the reservations department should not have made this promise. I made it clear that was not my problem, it was their problem between the hotel and their reservations department and asked to see the manager immediately.

We refused their offer waiting for him in the bar and a complimentary drink, as by this time we just wanted to have already left our bags at the hotel and taken our son out to lunch as we'd only gone to Brighton to visit him as he's at university nearby and we both only had this one day free and hadn't seen him for a while, so the last thing I wanted was having our time wasted.

Eventually the manager materialised and said he had a twin room for us and would push the beds together. I agreed, so we went to the room to discover not only had it not been aired, so the air was still thick with the last occupants smoke, but it was also a disabled room. We are not disabled, we don't need shower you can enter by wheelchair, so we left our bags unpacked and told Joe the manger we were not going to stay in something that looked like a hospital room, we're going out for lunch and expect a different room when we return.

On our return Joe told us he had no other rooms, so we left and ended the day by having to drive 3 hours back to London in a bad mood instead of the relaxing night in a hotel and breakfast we had planned.

I sent a complaint the next day on the Hilton website. After no reply for over a week I phoned their reservations to make my complaint. The Hilton group must think the British are the idiots of the world as the website had an international 00800 Freephone number that works fine from the UK, but the website said 'except from the UK please dial 0870 **********.' We just don't complain enough and accept poor service.

They told me on the phone their notes said the manager had refunded our stay in full. I explained we had not actually stayed, so there was nothing to refund. They said if we had not actually stayed, there was nothing they could or would do to compensate for their broken promise and our ruined weekend.

Hilton;
Don't make promises you can't keep
Do better on the spot with a situation like this.
Respond to complaints.
Do something to make us feel like we might want to stay in a Hilton in future, as I don't right now.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank SeanDolly
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear SeanDolly

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments following your recent stay with us and I am sorry to read of your disappointments with the hotel. I would like to extend my most sincere apologies to you for not meeting your expectations.

I have shared your comments with my Director of Operations Damian Meadows who would also like to offer his apologies and would be delighted to discuss your stay with you in more detail to resolve your dissatisfaction.

Please contact the hotel directly on 01273 775432 and ask to speak to Damian Meadows, the Director of Operations and he would be more than happy to call you.

Regards
Guy

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

THism hotel gets better. The breakfast is amazing, the staff are great and the ambience of the hotel makes you feel special. Try the Metropole if you want to stay in Brighton you will not find better. A litle more pricey than others, but you pay for the best and will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you want something extra special pay for a deleuxe room. Your room will have a balcony overlooki...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Debbie L,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed the service from the team here and also our superb breakfast.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is my third week staying at the Hilton. The hotel is of a very high standard as you would expect. Rooms are spacious and your well catered for. Dining is a pleasant experience and the staff make your stay an enjoyable experience. The bar is well stocked and is an enjoyable place to wind down and the bar staff offer pleasant chat to help you unwind during your stay. Particular thanks to Paul the barman and julie the night manager for going out of their way to make the stay enjoyable one!

Definitely a place I would return to when traveling to the area!!

• Stayed December 2012
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear bensonandbella,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Brighton Metropole I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed the service from the team here and have shared your comments with both Julie and Paul.

The hotel as you say has a great location and with the facilities we provide and refurbishments we have made is a great base from which to explore the local area. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sheffield
Reviewed December 2, 2012

3 friends and I booked a 2 night stay at the Hilton instead of a Travel lodge as we fancied a treat for our annual reunion and as one of the girls works for an airline we received a discount - perfect we thought -What a total disappointment !!
As many other reviews have pointed out the initial complaint was the tiny car park, very dark and a long walk to the hotel with your bags. I arrived first and wasn't allowed to check in until my my friend with the staff pass arrived, my other friend arrived 10 minutes later and was checked in by the same receptionist - inconsistent and slightly bewildering. As we walked to our rooms on the fourth floor which were right at the back of the hotel you could smell stale cigarettes in the corridor, the wooden fire doors had seen better days, pieces of wood missing! Likewise with our bedroom door. The room was boiling with no air con so could not adjust, I see a comment from the manager in a review from Aug says the air con would be fixed - well clearly it hasn't and its now December. The room decor was in keeping with a run down b&b, yellow hair dryer attached to wall which must have been 20years old, the shower was equally per historic, and we had no view at all as we had plastic sheets covering the window due to scaffolding. £10 for a double vodka was ridiculous in the hotel bar - very over priced.
Breakfast looked appetising however, but when we gave our room number we were ushered through to a separate room away from the beautiful - but of course run down main room. Another guest gave us a tip to get yr breakfast from the main room as the buffet on offer in our small room was not as nice and had less on offer. This was true -very poor selection compared to the main room - why ? She also told us she was on a discounted rate. The 2nd night saw the fire alarm going off around 12.30 in the morning, and again around 30mins later, the evacuation was totally disorganised with lots of people hanging around in the foyer with staff members looking equally confused about what to do. I know you had several parties on that evening so some guests may have been slightly worse for wear hence their bumbling about but really the evacuation should have been far more slick luckily it wasn't a real fire.
All in all a well below average hotel, not worthy of the Hilton name, surely their bar prices alone are enough to get the rooms updated ! If you're looking for a modern clean 4star choose the Thistle - sorry Metropole we won't be returning.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Fletcher137
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Fletcher 137,

Please contact the hotel directly on 01273 775432 and ask to speak to Damian Meadows Director of Operations details he would be more than happy to call you.

Regards
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have just had an amazing spa day at the Metropole as a birthday gift from a girlfriend. From the moment we arrived we were impressed by the level of customer service delivered by every member of staff we encountered without exception. Special mention must be given to two members of staff in the Waterhouse Terrace bar, namely Mihaly (apologies if the spelling is incorrect!) and Louise.

The Living Well spa facilities were calm, clean and not overcrowded. We spent a glorious couple of hours indulging ourselves. In The Beauty Rooms, where I was treated to a luxurious facial delivered by Olga, again the level of customer service was outstanding and the facilities impeccable.

I am already planning a return visit and would highly recommend the Hilton Brighton Metropole for a thoroughly delightful and relaxing treat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FlowerButton
Jbell1966,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent Spa day with Afternoon tea with us I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects your day.

It is always a pleasure to read our team have provided you a wonderful experience, throughout your treatments and relaxing in our Waterhouse bar, as we do get a lot of very positive comments on it.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Olney, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Metropole for a complementary night away using an offer from my credit card. After choosing Brighton, we were pleased to get a room on the weekend we wanted, and even had a sea view upgrade. The hotel is a bit "faded" in places and one of the curtains was missing in our room (I managed to cover the windows using the other three) but it's basically fine - normal business-class hotel with the usual standards of Hilton service.

My main disappointments were: a) the car park - dark, dingy, and with tiny spaces that it's quite difficult to fit a modern car in properly. My tip is to drive through the first floor and park on the second one - it's lighter, brighter, and closer to the hotel. b) the drinks prices. £17 for an XO brandy and I didn't realise it was that expensive until after it was poured. I paid up (out of embarrassment) and made sure I enjoyed it. I expect high prices in hotel bars but that was excessive (6x supermarket price, so about twice what I'd expect in a hotel/restaurant).

Overall, it was "OK", but I'm glad we weren't paying the full price...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkAWilson
MarkAWilson,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your most recent stay and I am sorry to read that your stay fell below the Hilton standard.

I have shared your feedback regarding the car parking and the prices in our Waterhouse bar & terrace with my appropriate Heads of Department for their review.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Kind Regards