“Bed bugs”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed July 10, 2006

A double room (room 302) overlooking the beach sounds lovely but sadly this apparent 3 star hotel was poorly maintained, the air con unit was in a poor state and not working. The breeze from the rotten windows would have compensated if it hadnt been such a cold room. After only staying one night I have discovered that the large bites over my face, neck and back are a result of bed bugs. Thoroughly disgusted and I really would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank htedstone
There are newer reviews for Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Reviewed July 8, 2006

We stayed one night at the Royal Albion for our Anniversary - all I can say is we were glad it was only one night. We booked it through laterooms but would check reviews before doing this again. On arrival, having fought my way through hoardes of teenagers there for their school leaving do, they denied we had a booking. Once that was sorted I was informed that the lift was not working. The porter who helped me upstairs (my husband was parking the car) told me it had been broken for 4 weeks! We were on the third floor and got used to joining the people trudging up and down the one staircase, round the broken lift. The room was very basic, the bed hard and only one pillow was provided. I found a spare pillow in the wardrobe, but with no pillowcase. The towels were minute and thin, again only one set was provded and the other was again found in the wardrobe. We had paid extra for a "superior" room and were fortunate to have a fantastic view and good jacuzzi bath (plenty of hot water). However the view was tempered by the fact the window would only open 3 inches and the rest of the window was too dirty to see through! The restaurant was empty and offered only 3 very ordinary choices at a buffet table. We ate out! Breakfast was dreadful - tough bacon, disgusting sausages, tinned tomatoes, only scrambled eggs, no fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. Couldn't wait to leave. Then to add insult to injury, found out that they have an arrangement for reduced price parking. We'd phoned in advance about parking to be told to park in the Lanes car park - this cost us £15 for 24 hours, and we should have got it for £8 through the hotel - can't imagine why we were told to park there. Told them we would definitely not return. Don't waste your money by going there. The website said it had been refurbished, but we can't see where the money had gone.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank GillianH
Reviewed June 8, 2006

I booked the Royal Albion Hotel through HotelClub for 2 nights commencing 12-May-2006. We found the quality of the accomodation provided (room 421) to be abismal, the furnishings were shabby, wallpaper was peeling and towels ripped and torn. We were woken early on the 13th by noise from the kitchen extractors that ran up the side of the building, noise which continued throughout the day. In the afternoon we were refused access to the bar because of a private party (wedding) and when the water supply failed at 6pm on the 13th that was the final straw, we complained to the duty manager and checked out one day early. I went to stay at the Cumberland Hotel in central London and had a fantastic night for the same money.

Upon my return I sought a refund for the second night from HotelNet, the agent through which I made he original booking, however I found them less than cooperative and it was only when I withheld payment though my credit card company did I get them to take my complaint seriously. I eventually got a refund for the second night but only grudgingly as a goodwill guesture. No acknowledgement that anything was wrong and a clear implication that it was I that was being unreasonable.

I will not be using the Royal Albion or HotelClub again.

Horrendous. Totally Agree.
Horrid hotel - do not go. Totally Agree.

I wish I'd read your reviews before I booked.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank DaveHarrop
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed May 29, 2006

When I booked a seaview double room at said hotel for a weekend break with my husband I did not forsee it being a great problem. I was wrong. We arrived at the Albion and were shown to a dark room at the back of the hotel with filthy windows and twin beds. Quite the opposite of what I had requested. A very disappointing start and I have to say it did not get better until we left. The room was very noisy and I was woken throughout the night with rowdy noise and didn't really manage to sleep at all. If its a good nigbts sleep your looking for this is not the place.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2006

I stayed here for 1 night on a business trip. I nearly left within minutes of arriving it was that bad. I would never ever pay to stay in this hotel myself, if it had been my money and wasn’t nearly midnight I would have got a refund and gone elsewhere immediately.

A lack of parking at the hotel is inconvenient but I suppose bearable, the rest is not. Had a basement room which was just awful and disgusting - it was dingy, very old fashioned and worse of all very unclean – the absolute worse I have ever seen in a hotel. There were numerous brown stains on the carpet and furniture, and the duvet smelt, also dirt/grime on the surfaces in the room and bathroom. It clearly had not been cleaned properly for a very very long time. How this hotel is allowed to be open still I do not know as it was so disgusting. The TV did not get a signal as it was in the basement, the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night, and the staff seemed generally confused. Music from a pub/club over the road also kept me awake till 1am. The staff in the hotel I encountered seemed to speak little English. It is a dull, old-fashioned, dirty and dreary hotel which is in desperate need of a complete make-over/refurbishment.

Breakfast was below average, the chairs in the dining room were again dirty – the upholstery was covered in stains from spillages and remains of other peoples breakfast.

All in all there is nothing positive to say about this place apart from the fact that is near the sea, but so are lots of other hotels in Brighton. And they are almost guaranteed to be cleaner. I would never ever go near this place again, I feel cheated from it and I wasn’t even paying!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank reviewer123
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Me and my boyfriend love going to Brighton and we decided to go down for 1 night.

This hotel is based on the sea front and we had a view of the peir which was nice.

For a extra £10.00 we had a jacuzzi whci was a nice treat.

I would recommened this for couples to go and stay as everywhere is in walk in distance form the hotel shops and resturant.

The only down side to this hotel was the breakfast not that nice and everything was help yourself. And the food was not tasty i would go back, but i do no that other hotels do nicer breakfast so that would win me over to go somewhere else.

But besides not to bad.

• Stayed: May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Sheffiled England
Reviewed April 24, 2006

Went for a romantic weekend,room was tiny,grafiti on wall bath broken furniture ripped everything was below standard all for £150.00 a night , no one interested in complaints,head office could not care less do not stop here

• Stayed: April 2006