“Depends on what you want”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
New York
“Depends on what you want”
Reviewed March 22, 2006

It has a GREAT location, friendly staff, and an efficient check out.

It also has peeling wallpaper and FILTHY windows even though it was relatively clean. The heat and AC unit worked very well.

I was able to have guests, which might be a bit disconcerting for some since they could just walk in.

I stayed in March and got a really good price. Recently checked prices for August and it is NOT worth that money. One would be better off in a small guest house of which there are plenty.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdon
Reviewed March 19, 2006

I found the staff very friendly and helpful. Didn't eat the breakfast that was provided but had room service sandwiches which were satisfactory and not to expensive either. No real complaints about the service, the room was very cold and the heating not powerful enough to make a difference but then again im sure it would be nice in the summer!Looked a bit old in the room, creaky floor boards and dated decor but nothing alarming about it! Also beware of a rather worrying nipple shaped wall light in the bathroom! All in all not a bad choice if you like nipples, the location of the hotel is very good with easy access to bars, clubs and restaurants and shopping areas just around the corner. The hotel also has a late checkout facility, but at a price! (£10 per hour!) I would recommend it to anyone on a tight budget but doesnt feel the cold.....and likes nipples.

What do you think baby?

2 Thank mrrob69
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 11, 2006

Although it was really easy to book a nice sea facing double room on the net in advance, it all went wrong once we'd actually got there. Having finally managed to check in (phones ringing, guests complaining etc), our double room was dirty, peeling wall paper, no towels, broken TV with a double bed that was just two singles pushed together - one of which was broken. Unbelievably a mising wheel castor was propped up with a phone directory. Engineer had "just gone home" and "wasn't on" over the weekend, so tough!

The bedding was YMCA-hostel grade, stained and torn. Bath had no plug and shower broken. Thick dust on wardrobe shelves and thick grime on windows obscured sea view. Reception staff not interested in slightest- my wife and I could just take it or check out and try and find somewhere else late on a Friday night - that was it. No refund/reduction or even apology. Manager just pushed a piece of paper with Britannia Head Office details on it, and smugly told us to write in to them with "Whatever" our complaint was, then walked off.

Food poor, service worse - whole lot should be sacked and start over again with new everything!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2006

I booked this hotel for a large group of people because it was real good value. After booking it I read some of the reviews online and thought I had made a terrible mistake by planning on staying there. I couldnt be more wrong.

We all got checked in in a matter of minutes and the reception staff were so very good as to tell us what clubs might not suit us on our nights out, being new to the area it really helped and their honesty was great. Our rooms were really big. They hadnt added a pull out childs bed to one of the rooms but within minutes they had a very nice young man to the room with it who was very apologitic.

In another room the childs pull out bed was broken when you lay on it so another call to reception and again within minutes they came and replaced it. The staff were so friendly.

We had a few drinks in the residents bar which was very nice but a little cold because of the old windows which let in so much noise and as it was in the minus temperatures outside it didnt help matters inside.

The only thing I can fault this hotel on are the windows. They are terrible. They are just so old. I would hope they are being forced to keep them because they are so old, but they definately need to be changed to make this a hotel you can get a good nights sleep in.

1 Thank Realtai
London
Reviewed March 5, 2006

Stayed at the Albion on a last minute weekend break to Brighton and while it promised so much from the outside it did leave a lot to be desired.

· The room was caught in a time warp from my grandmother's era and very old fashioned (why do so many hotels do this??).
· Despite having paid more for a double with seaview all we got were two singles pushed together.
· Despite being only 2°C outside the heating in our room wasn’t on and we had what can only be described as a summer duvet.
· Our seaview wasn’t through a nice wide bay window as you might expect, rather a couple of rickety (and drafty) windows in the corner of the room.

On the plus side:

· The room seemed fairly clean
· The location (opposite Brighton pier) was excellent
· And the buffet breakfast was adequate.

In summary I’d say that if I’d paid £40-£50 for the room I would have been reasonably happy, it wasn’t horrible or anything, just very dated and lacking in the quality one would hope for.

The reality was however that we could have paid an extra £10 and stayed at The Grand and as soon as I saw our room I kicked myself that I hadn’t.

While I accept that the standard of hotel rooms in the UK is all too often lacking and that you don't get much for your money I really do think that £90 for a seaview double at the Albion is £90 wasted, I really did expect more!!

2 Thank Superstylin
London, England
Reviewed March 3, 2006

We stayed in the hotel mid week on two cold February days, paying an extra £10 per night for a sea view. This was well worth the money. Our room offered views out on the sea and pier and, in the other direction; we could see the beach stretching up to the marina. Though the hotel could do with refurbishment it was clean and warm. The buffet breakfast provide all the usual stuff, with hot sausages, bacon and eggs, which was all fine. We took a look at the evening buffet, which was rather ordinary and chose to eat out. The hotel is very close to all the little lanes of downtown Brighton, which offers a good selection of places to eat and drink. In short, the hotel offers a great location at a reasonable price.

Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2006

I stayed in the Royal Albion Hotel in Brighton in Mid-February 2006 for 2 nights.

The location of the hotel is unsurpassed. The closest thing to the hotel is Brighton Pier and beach. It is close to everything and is a £5 taxi ride from Brighton train station.

The staff were friendly and helpful, supplying me with maps, newspapers, recommendations and a warm smile.

The breakfast was probably the best English breakfast I have ever had in a hotel.

On the downside, the hotel feels like it has seen better days. Standards are slipping and the whole place seems a little worn-out. However, the problems are only cosmetic and the hotel was clean and probably one of the better choices for a stay in Brighton.

I got a sea-view room with a balcony and full English breakfast for £85 per night.

All in all, not bad but not great either. If your more familiar with 4 or 5 star hotels then you might be a little disappointed however, high stared hotels in good locations in Brighton are difficult to come by. Therefore, there is a trade-off between location and quality.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business