“Never stay at this hotel!”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
london
Reviewed May 8, 2005

I recently booked a room at this hotel for my partners 30th birthday. I booked a room on last minute.com for a room with sea view. After settling into our hotel room, we discovered that we also had a room with sea view and nightclub, which was directly beneath us! We paid £140 for this room, which was certainly not worth the money we paid. As well as the room being very shabby, when complaining about the room we were told that the nightclub only went until one o’clock in the morning and gave the impression that this was acceptable. We were given a new room without sea view. Trying to seek a refund for the room difference has been a joke as well as the hotel's customer service. If you want value for money and a plesent stay, don't stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2005
25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed April 23, 2005

Our stay at the Royal Albion Hotel was going well until we encountered the Scottish version of Basil Fawlty at breakfast. I have stayed in many hotels all over the world but have never encountered such rudeness from a person whose job is supposed to be to 'serve' his 'guests'.

• Stayed: April 2005
21  Thank maryanr
London
Reviewed April 4, 2005

Just got back from a weekend at The Royal Albion, from start to finish, everything was fab. The lady that took my reservation was very friendly & the Double room with Jacuzzi & Seaview that was booked was exactly what we received. Arrived at the Hotel earlier than check in time & were in our room two minutes later. Sea view was great not to mention the spa bath.
We had a few relaxing drinks in the Residaents bar & then out for a nice meal.
Came back to the Hotel & had a really nice evening.
Wanted to stay another night, but had to get back to the kids!
All in all, good service, friendly staff.

Anyone that has written bad comments about this Hotel are obviously expecting 5* standards at a 3* Hotel.

My advise to them, book & pay for 5* Hotel's, otherwise chill out & enjoy your stay, rather than spending far too much time whinging!

• Stayed: January 2005
32  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
brighton
Reviewed March 4, 2005

We were worried after booking the hotel for our anniversary and wanted to cancel the hotel at short notice after reading previous reviews
But all the other brighton hotels were full or extremely expensive so we decided to "grin and bear it"
However we were pleasantly surprised with the hotel
The check in staff were friendly and the room was nice with sea views / 4 poster bed and whirpool bath

The hotel is a bit shabby in parts but was clean and tidy when we visited
Maybe it depends on the room you are given

• Stayed: February 2005
27  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2005

I hope you'll my review of two visits to this hotel useful. In my experience, many people on TripAdvisor are either angry about something or loved-up about a great visit. I am neither since it is some months since my visit. This review is about the things that I remember several months on and therefore, I think, the most important things.

As I said I have stayed here twice already (Feb 2002 and Aug 2004) and was looking to book a THIRD stay when I was curious to read what TripAdvisor said. I was a bit surprised at all the negative reactions. It is by no means a perfect hotel however but 65 of 74 hotels in Brighton, surely not!

On our first visit, we must have gone for an upgrade room as it had a jacuzzi bath. Initially there was a water leak from the ceiling but the staff were happy to move us to one with a sea view which was very pleasant.

On our second visit, we again had an upgrade room on the top floor. It was split over two floors which was unfortunate. I didn't like this layout which must have been due to the overall shape of the building and the staircase would not have suited anyone with walking difficulties - on the other hand upstairs was only a TV and a couch.

I have read comments about the following and here are my recollections.

* Jacuzzis - mine were both clean; no gunk or hair etc. They looked noticeably newer the first though. Be careful with bubble bath when you use them - it froths up like mad!

* Dirty rooms - I do not remember the rooms being dirty nor dirty sheets etc in the corridors.

* Exposed wiring etc - Again do not remember this however as I said, on the first visit there was a water leak from the ceiling and perhaps the service staff should have noticed this.

* Parking - it is a problem, there is about 10 spaces in front of the hotel and they are virtually always full. There is also a 'no return in 2 hours' rule or similar so even if you find a space, you'll have to be up and out some morning by 8am/9am to buy the ticket. Parking in Brighton is a problem however I reckon this hotel is about 20/25 mins walk from the rail station. We parked in the NCP for about 12quid.

* Prices - I saw somebody paid 150, someone else 99. Well we didn't and I can understand the disappointment for that price. We booked with ActiveHotels who are offering a double for 55 for the date I am looking at now although I believe this has neither sea view nor jacuzzi. Incidentally the non-sea view rooms at the back look towards the Royal Pavillion which is lit up at night.

* Stag/hen parties - we did see a couple of these; there are some conference rooms and I think these had been hired. We weren't disturbed by them and Brighton is a party-town but I guess if you were too close then it could be a problem - fortuneately no fire alarms in the night for us.

* Staff - I found them to be OK - not particularly friendly or helpful but they did their job and did it reasonably well - perhaps the stag parties have worn their patience thin. We have had no reason to ask for a refund ourselves.

* Location - great central location - on the sea front hence the seaviews! Right next to the east pier. Brighton does have a busy road - read 2 lanes in each direction along the front. This does go past the hotel leading to a roundabout next to the hotel so I guess on a low floor with the window open there could be quite a bit of traffic noise.

* Breakfast - remember this as being okay - pretty much a standard hotel breakfast - do remember having to wait in the lounge on one visit but only for about 5 minutes.

* Room - I remember the menu looked a bit basic - I guess you don't come here if you want lobster in bed. I wasn't bitten by any bed bugs myself and I had no problems with the comfort of the bed itself. Our TVs and remote controls worked. I think the air con was noisy but it seemed to work okay however neither of our visits have been in summer.

One of my gripes not mentioned elsewhere is that the hotel only has one small lift which seems to be used by room service staff as well. This does seem incredible for a hotel of its size (ActiveHotels quotes the hotel as having 185 rooms). I did ask a member of staff about this once and there used to be another lift but they don't use it anymore - great!

There is also a reasonable hotel bar on the ground floor looking out over the sea with lots of comfy settees and newpapers.

In summary, I'd say this hotel would be good for Brighton party-goers as it can be booked fairly cheaply. It's also good for a weekend away for couples (like us) who want good value. I won't recommend it for a classic romantic weekend although I believe we did go the first time around Valentines. If you are looking for something grand maybe you should look at the Grand but read the reviews on TripAdvisor first!

29  Thank Hywel T
Exeter
Reviewed February 21, 2005

Just like to start by saying I'm not a particularly picky kind of guy - I just like value for money and decent service!

This hotel is screaming out for some decent management to take it in hand - it has a lot of character but cannot justify trading on it's location and character by charging these prices. We stayed in the Thistle before now (sea view again) and everything was perfect. And it was cheaper. Next time we'll go there instead.

What an awful hotel. The reception staff got off to a really good start by hardly speaking any english, and then proceeded to tell me to park in the NCP carpark up the road! (another £20 on top of the £140 I'd paid for a sea facing room!)

The room was dirty and the "double bed" was actually two old, shabby, springless single beds rolled together! The bedclothes were very thin and didn't hold any warmth in at all.

There's no double glazing at all, and the "quaint" sash windows (which are grubby because it overlooks the sea-not the hotel's fault, but how often do they clean them??) were broken. It was very noisy. The floorboards creaked above and below.

There were cup rings on the surfaces and a bare minimum of tea/coffee facilities. Should be a 2 star hotel really. There was an overhead heater in one part of the room which I discoved was COVERED with dust when I brushed it and was SHOWERD by dust when putting on a coat. Not clean. Not nice.

The paint was cracked on the windowsills and window surrounds, the wallpaper was peeling a bit in places and there were spashmarks up one of the walls, as if someone had thrown a cup of tea against it.

We didn't get room service after seeing the menu - very basic bare minimum

Breakfast was OK if basic (awful organisation and furniture - staff wearing 3-pc suits at breakfast!?!?) Shame they cleared the tables by wiping them with the used napkins of the previous occupants, lending a sticky smeary quality to the chipped & dented furniture.

When I tried to engage the staff about the whole thing, they weren't interested, so I filled in the little form in the room telling them what I thought and hope that sometime in the future it will do some good!

Good points: Superb location, terriffic view up Madiera drive and of the Pier (dual aspect room).

24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Manchester
Reviewed January 25, 2005

On a very recent stay at this hotel I was promised on the phone a sea view room with jucuzzi. I also expected a three star hotel would have at least a basic standard of cleanliness and service. When I got to the hotel I was given a room that didnt have a spa bath or a view it just looked down a sheer drop. When I complained a female receptionist said to come down and she would move me. After waiting for her to finish her converstaion with her freind she didnt even look at me. When I told her the complaint she took my key and gave me another room. No apology and no offer of help to the new room. I got to the room and managed to get what I booked. When I got into the spa bath I turned it on and black muck flew across me in the water and hairs started coming out. I rang down to complain and the girl tuted then said she would get a manager. I spoke with the manager who said she couldnt move me. They proimised to clean it out while I was at work. I went out came back after a meal and the bath was still dirty. In the morning I spoke with Marco Vismari the General manager who was less then helpful. To call him a manager would be laughable. He wouldnt even apologies for what happened. This must be the faulty towers of Brighton. Because right after me 2 other guests complained.

23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member