“Value For Money!”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed March 26, 2014

For the price paid (2 rooms, Double £49, Single £34 with Breakfast) Great value for Brighton!
The lady on reception was lovely and very friendly (informed us there was a quiz in the bar and offered late check-out) However, the first room myself & partner checked in to had guests already in it, (so we were greeted by a massive bum-crack as we opened the door), the other single room I'd booked my brother in to was great, actually a twin (both big beds) with panorama sea view, however, the next room my partner and I were moved to had not been cleaned, so w were moved again. The room we had in the end was lovely, no frills (the jets in the bath don't work, and as such din't want to fill the bath as things may be living in those pipes), shower was lovely.
Breakfast was much more than I expected, full English buffet plus continental bits too.
All in all, compared to most reviews on here, I thought it was well worth the price!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Very disappointed in the staff and the way they treated us! Booked a room 3 days before all fine! When get there staff had double booked our room due to a group booking so gave our room away and decided to move us too a different hotel! Which was ages away from the Albion so we got lost! Also charging 15 pound for parking per night is not acceptable for a hotel! Completely livid! Staff very rude and didn't even get a apology!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Lividgilly1
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I found this hotel on last minute and got a room very cheap. To be honest I felt the room was worth what we paid although it was very small, poor equipment and bad view. It was still an enjoyable weekend only faults would be that the bartender was unfriendly and made us feel slightly awkward. To sum up good location terrible parking but worth no more than £50

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Shamefully bad.

I booked this very 'last minute', paying £120 for my mistake. Like many, I saw its central location and mildly reassuring heritage cues and assumed it was, at worst, going to be a little naff. I sometimes find down-at-heel British hotels even characterful. Do not make the mistake I made. This operation borders on fraud.

Scam #1. I was given a room in the basement with no windows - meaning total darkness without a lamp on. Is this even legal? Can a place charge a standard rate for a pitch dark cellar? Is there not an obligation to caveat and explain to a customer that they might as well be sleeping on the beach in winter that night, for all the comfort they are about to experience? Trading Standards presumably allow it. This is not a well lit Tokyo capsule room. It's a magnolia storage room. It is claustrophobic and disorientating. You will feel ill at ease in it.

Scam #2: My key had a number in the one hundreds on it, leading me (like many others) to assume I was going to be on the first floor. Another small way of hoodwinking customers. The receptionist even sweetly passed me a card with the wireless code on it - knowing, all the while, that I wouldn't be getting wireless (or more than one flickering bar of mobile reception) in that subterranean hole.

Scam #3: The room was under the floor of what presumably is the function room, on club night. I could hear the base from the speakers through the ceiling until 2 am. I rang reception a couple of times (holding the phone towards the sound, in comic bewilderment) and they apologised - offering another room "But it will have to be another room in the basement".

Scam #4: The secondary bathroom light didn't work; the toilet wasn't screwed to the floor properly and the TV remote didn't work. The volume and channel control on the TV itself didn't work either. I wasn't in Brighton to watch TV, but these trappings were presumably there to look like I was in a hotel room. Outfits like this count on short, 'never again' stays. It's very likely the TV hadn't worked for many people, for many years.

And hey, it's not 'like Fawlty Towers'. Basil never charged the Major £50 for a G&T, then poured him a glass of tap water.

Do not - repeat - do not allow this nasty little outfit to take your money. If you do go, make sure you're not staying in the basement - and double check the room numbers. That this sort of hole exists is an embarrassment to that city.

Room Tip: If they're offering you a basement room, run for the hills.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jake G
Reviewed March 17, 2014

On arriving was greeted by very friendly staff,
We were allocated a room but when we opened the door,after a 3 minute trek to room 198,we were horrified,
The room smelt musky,so went to open the sash window,which was so dirty you couldn't see through,the ledge itself was covered in bird excretement and had been there months,not just days.the net curtain was stained and filthy.outside the window was the community was bins so we had the choice of open the window and get blasts of waste now and then or sweat with it closed.
The furniture was like a secondhand shop with a tv you should have planning permission for.
the shower nearly scalded me as the tap came off in my hand,and there was also no bath plug.
When i told the staff of this i was told "we'll tell housekeeping".There was no appology of any sort.
£119 per night for this "dive" was a complete rip off.
I have since rang and asked a senior to call me back to discuss but no one has bothered but i guess thats as we have paid so it doesn,t matter.
My advice would be to get a cardboard box and sleeping bag and doss down in a shop doorway.theres no difference

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 444Darren
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Staff were very helpful with my very late check in.
Room was reasonably sized and bed was comfortable.
Tea and coffee facility adequate.
Breakfast was very good.
Nice sea view and very close to central Brighton.
Overall very good value for money and would stay again if business requires.

Room Tip: For views try and get a sea view room although it is along the main coast road.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank HertsJim
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Upon checking I found the staff very polite and courteous
After a three minute walk to our room which seemed excessively long I was disgusted when I entered the room
Firstly the window was disgustingly filthy you could hardly see through it which obviously hadn't been cleaned in ages and the windowsill was covered in bird excrete meant which had been built up over months definitely not over days and outside the window were large wheelie dustbins stinking of rubbish
The net curtain had not seen a washing machine or bleach in many many years and was absolutely filthy and stained
I thought I would take a shower and in doing so the hot tap came off in my hand nearly scalded my foot and had I chose to have a bath there was no plug to put in there
The room was very primitive and basic and the TV was like something off of antiques Roadshow
When I approached the staff this morning to complain she just said oh sorry about that I will pass it onto housekeeping
I feel I was not dealt with with empathy and for the price you pay to stay in this hotel I was utterly and totally disgusted
After my experience of staying here I am very unlikely to ever use a another Britannia Hotel ever again

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple