“Avoid like the plague”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Upon checking I found the staff very polite and courteous
After a three minute walk to our room which seemed excessively long I was disgusted when I entered the room
Firstly the window was disgustingly filthy you could hardly see through it which obviously hadn't been cleaned in ages and the windowsill was covered in bird excrete meant which had been built up over months definitely not over days and outside the window were large wheelie dustbins stinking of rubbish
The net curtain had not seen a washing machine or bleach in many many years and was absolutely filthy and stained
I thought I would take a shower and in doing so the hot tap came off in my hand nearly scalded my foot and had I chose to have a bath there was no plug to put in there
The room was very primitive and basic and the TV was like something off of antiques Roadshow
When I approached the staff this morning to complain she just said oh sorry about that I will pass it onto housekeeping
I feel I was not dealt with with empathy and for the price you pay to stay in this hotel I was utterly and totally disgusted
After my experience of staying here I am very unlikely to ever use a another Britannia Hotel ever again

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Darren W
There are newer reviews for Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Reviewed March 14, 2014

We were almost put off taking a Groupon deal but all the savage reviews on here but were glad we weren't. I think some of the people writing reviews on here are used to staying in 7 star hotels in Dubai.

We paid £59 for two people for a Saturday night, including dinner and breakfast. A brilliant location right by the pier, south lanes and casino.

We found the staff more than helpful, happily putting your bags in a locked room at 11am, even though we couldn't check in until 3pm, which was great.

Our room (Room 434) was a large corner room with a sea view and was very clean, including the sheets. Although the room was a little dated and wallpaper that needed a little attention everything worked and was good. The bed was very comfortable.

Food was good. The staff was lovely and very helpful. The evening meal had a selection of startes, mains and deserts. All included in the price. Sure it's not a Michelin star restaurant but having stayed in many a hotel I can assure you it's more than edible.

Breakfast was very good, a selection of breads, yoghurts, cooked food, etc.

Our only complaint with the food and drink was the free bottle of wine. It would seem a lot of people in the bar had issues with this too, no matter what the colour. Bottles were pre-opened, leaving you to wonder whether they were fresh or refilled. By taste you would think they'd be left open for 3 days, really not the best. It seems to be a common complaint here too.

At the end of the day it's not a £200/night hotel, so don't expect that. But for two people (£30 each) to get a place to stay in the centre of Brighton, a more than adequate three course dinner, and a decent breakfast then can you really complain? NO... no you can't.

Room Tip: Room 434 had everything working and great views to the south and West.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nige74
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Finally I have received the amount I asked for and court costs from The Royal Albion Hotel in Brighton. I wrote to the hotel on several occasions for a refund as my trip was a disaster from beginning to end but with no avail. However one letter to the small claims court and I immediately receive a cheque with the full amount and court costs included. The moral of the story is if you have the misfortune of experiencing a terrible stay at this hotel all is not completely lost. I would recommend you take the same action as myself and hopefully if everyone who was unsatisfied with this hotel did the same maybe they would think twice about treating their customers to the horrendous stay that I experienced January 19th 2013.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Robbie J
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Hotel was dirty, shabby, tv so old didn't work, shower didn't work nor did spa bath. So if you want a hotel where the bed is so old you can't sleep and a room so stained and old and a hotel room where you can't shower ..... This hotel is perfect for you !!!!! I have demanded a refund !!!! Hooooooooorrrrrrrreeeeeeennnnnnndous do not even think it will be ok . We got upgraded to a superior room with sea view after the first night of hell.... This was just as shabby and dirty. Do not waste your money and let this place ruin your time away. Avoid avoid. I have contacted the hotel and the hotel chain for a refund but so far heard nothing.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Andrea K
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We checked in on 7th March for 2 nights with friends, and after reading comments on here, we were a little worried to say the least, however we found the hotel staff couldnt do enought for you, the night manager and staff are superb, and again aways helpful and even managed to get us 2 rooms next door to each other on the 4th floor which was great, we were overlooking the carpark, but still had nice views, both rooms were clean, but dated, had all the facilities you would expect, the hotel is old and creaky and is in need of some tlc, but this only seems to add to the character, we chose not to eat the evening meals in the hotel, as wanted to explore what Brighton had to offer, but the food did smell good, did manage to have breakfast on one the days, must say found everything nice, We had a great time and would book to go there again for a weekend

Room Tip: Would avoid room near the nightclub area
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank KANDCT
Reviewed March 11, 2014

yes it is wants some dec doing but hopefully it is the start of there season so mayby some work will be done , our room was all ok clean warm , but with no double glazing like being on the m1 all day and night , so not much sleep . the dining room was disorganized on the first night but did in prove after that , the food was ok when you got it , what i didnt like was the sweets were out when every one was getting there starters , for everyone to touch ect staff friendly . one tip they have this system were you order fried eggs in the morning , order as you give your room num as sometimes it takes a while for them to come . we were ok it is in a good potion on the sea front and close to town center .

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank thusclub
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I took a weekend break in Brighton and misguidedly chose this hotel. The inflated price of £96,50 for one night half board in a single room got me half a room, with half a wardrobe - it was so shallow the hangers had to be at an angle - the shower room was also the size of half a bathroom. I tried repeatedly to flush the toilet but couldn't make it work and there were no towels so I had to use tissues to dry my hands. I phoned reception to tell them this and to ask for towels and they said they would send someone, but no one came. I later managed to get the knack of flushing the loo, not every time, but sometimes, but I still had no towels when I a couple of hours after I had asked for them. When I went down I asked again at reception and when I came back a couple of hours later I found a couple of towels had been delivered. The whole hotel was very run down and in places the ceiling was draped in netting to stop the bits that fell off it from actually landing in your soup! I suppose it was reasonably clean, but it was hard to tell as everything was so worn, shabby and scuffed. Definitely NOT good value and not the relaxing pampered feeling I had hoped for the price charged.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo