“Weekend from hell.....”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Hotel was dirty, shabby, tv so old didn't work, shower didn't work nor did spa bath. So if you want a hotel where the bed is so old you can't sleep and a room so stained and old and a hotel room where you can't shower ..... This hotel is perfect for you !!!!! I have demanded a refund !!!! Hooooooooorrrrrrrreeeeeeennnnnnndous do not even think it will be ok . We got upgraded to a superior room with sea view after the first night of hell.... This was just as shabby and dirty. Do not waste your money and let this place ruin your time away. Avoid avoid. I have contacted the hotel and the hotel chain for a refund but so far heard nothing.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Andrea K
Write a ReviewReviews (3,020)

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We checked in on 7th March for 2 nights with friends, and after reading comments on here, we were a little worried to say the least, however we found the hotel staff couldnt do enought for you, the night manager and staff are superb, and again aways helpful and even managed to get us 2 rooms next door to each other on the 4th floor which was great, we were overlooking the carpark, but still had nice views, both rooms were clean, but dated, had all the facilities you would expect, the hotel is old and creaky and is in need of some tlc, but this only seems to add to the character, we chose not to eat the evening meals in the hotel, as wanted to explore what Brighton had to offer, but the food did smell good, did manage to have breakfast on one the days, must say found everything nice, We had a great time and would book to go there again for a weekend

Room Tip: Would avoid room near the nightclub area
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank KANDCT
Reviewed March 11, 2014

yes it is wants some dec doing but hopefully it is the start of there season so mayby some work will be done , our room was all ok clean warm , but with no double glazing like being on the m1 all day and night , so not much sleep . the dining room was disorganized on the first night but did in prove after that , the food was ok when you got it , what i didnt like was the sweets were out when every one was getting there starters , for everyone to touch ect staff friendly . one tip they have this system were you order fried eggs in the morning , order as you give your room num as sometimes it takes a while for them to come . we were ok it is in a good potion on the sea front and close to town center .

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank thusclub
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I took a weekend break in Brighton and misguidedly chose this hotel. The inflated price of £96,50 for one night half board in a single room got me half a room, with half a wardrobe - it was so shallow the hangers had to be at an angle - the shower room was also the size of half a bathroom. I tried repeatedly to flush the toilet but couldn't make it work and there were no towels so I had to use tissues to dry my hands. I phoned reception to tell them this and to ask for towels and they said they would send someone, but no one came. I later managed to get the knack of flushing the loo, not every time, but sometimes, but I still had no towels when I a couple of hours after I had asked for them. When I went down I asked again at reception and when I came back a couple of hours later I found a couple of towels had been delivered. The whole hotel was very run down and in places the ceiling was draped in netting to stop the bits that fell off it from actually landing in your soup! I suppose it was reasonably clean, but it was hard to tell as everything was so worn, shabby and scuffed. Definitely NOT good value and not the relaxing pampered feeling I had hoped for the price charged.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Rita S
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Understanding that to start with this hotel is in Brighton so comes at a slight premium. We paid £89 for a standard double and in all honesty I have NEVER seen anything like it!! If you can, pay more and go to the premier inn because at least there they have a certain standard!

Everything is grim and broken and old and dirty! Its dilapidated and even dilapidated sounds too small a word for it. Everything from rotting window frames,windows which behave like something out of open all hours and pose a genuine risk to hands!, cracked tiles, nasty Lino, grubby tatty furniture to the delightful lights which you could barely see by (this might be due to the sheer amount of dead flies laid to rest in them) and this is echoed through the entire hotel not just our room.

We were desperate so this is our excuse for ignoring the current 580 terrible ratings this hotel has on trip advisor. Seriously, look at the ratio of good to bad and take heed.

I can't see how this hotel is going to move forwards into the future as there is just SO much that needs addressing. But in my opinion it's do or die for the Royal Albion.

You might still think having read my review that somewhere to stay is better than nothing but, in this instance you would in fact be incorrect! I think I would rather have spent that £89 on a taxi home!!! So if this is your only option and home is less than £90 away, for the love of all things Clean and good in the world take that taxi!!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kayteals
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Booked a one night stay in the Albion, inclusive of a bottle of house wine, three course meal and breakfast in the morning all for £59.00 for my girlfriend and me, decided to upgrade upon arrival to a room with a seaview!(£10.00) was over the moon that all the paperwork was in order, the reception staff were very polite and helpful, the room was just okay but was very clean and had a marvelous surprise bonus of a wonderful jacuzzi bath! The food was very good and plentiful, but the jewel in the crown was the position of the hotel _ Smack bang in front of the pier and main boulevard, Nobody in there right mind could fault what this hotel gave us for the money that we paid. Absolutely splendid value.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Andrewkeel7
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed in a twin sea view room the room was very clean and so was the bed linen. As people have mentioned it is very dated but as it was spotlessly clean and a good price this could be overlooked. We would stay again

• Stayed: March 2014