“For one night only...”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed September 28, 2013

For one night only, to be so central to everything going on then it is manageable to stay here. Yes it is old, and given the reviews i have read so far, i am guessing we were lucky with our rooms. We had one sea view room with Balcony (not advisable if you want a good nights sleep as it appears that Brighton sea front road never sleeps) As the building is old, then the windows are not double glazed and as a result you can here everything going on outside.
The sea view room had a jacuzzi, and whilst it was held together by a bit of masking tape, it worked and was great fun to use.
But the view is amazing across the pier and out to sea, and that makes it worth the money.
We picked this hotel as it was one of the few that allowed smoking in the rooms, and as my friend is a smoker it was the best choice.

Yes the hotel is old, and very run down, but you are definitely paying for the location. It fitted our needs, the bathroom worked, the bed was quite comfy and the room was a reasonable size

Dissapointing that the tv's were old and only had channels 1-4 on them

We paid 100 for the seaview room and 70 for one looking out the back of the hotel and we opted not to take breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fruitbat_Kuwait

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in twin bed room, £720 for bed and breakfast!!! Don't believe the photos as I'm sure if. Not positive this is not the same hotel. Rooms are dated and dirty. Damp patches on the ceilings. Coving detaching itself slowly. Shredding carpets in the main rooms hall ways landings and bedrooms. Curtains that won't glide on the rails and are so stained they could be the original items from opening so faded. Can't see through windows as they are so dirty. Even the staff agreed with our complaints and said they just won't spend any money on it at all. Disco just outside the hotel so you can't have your windows open when it's hot plus coaches pulling in at all times. We've complained to Brighton Council as this hotel needs closing and seriously needs a good health and safety check then renovating. Shall also be writing to the managing director and watch dog stay clearly away from booking here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank charlietobi
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Right then, Upon arrival me and my girlfriend were greeted by this beautiful grande entrance. This was all essentially a smoke screen for what hid behind all those steps and shoddy lift system. We stayed in room 197 and were quite excited to get there. Once the door, for said room was opened we was left dismayed, shell-shocked, flabber gasted and quite frankly disgusted. We could hear everything going on in the outside world, including peoples footsteps.... at 8 pm! we we're kindly awoken by "room service" at 6.30 am only to realise it was for 2 doors down but sounded like they was in our room.

Once we managed to navigate our 2 suitcases around the rather "cozily spaced" furniture, we peeled back the duvet and pillows to be greeted with a bed full of full of head hair! Albeit the same colour as my girlfriends but even she hadn't had time to get in bed before this operation was performed! vile!

next:

the shower tiles we're all cracked, full of scum and slimy. the two flannel sized towels supplised were alot less than to be desired. the 3 1/4 size bed is so awkward and can easily cause arguments when you are laying on "her side" when you shouldn't be! hideous!

Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Tony J
Reviewed September 21, 2013

here is the email i sent after our night here

Dear Mr Wright,

I was recently a guest at the Royal Albion Hotel in Brighton .
It was a one night stay 22/23 June
The room rate was £168.00
We also paid an extra checkout price of £20.00, which I find rather expensive considering the room rate.
We stayed in room 330.
The room was poorly furnished with tired and dated furniture.
The table had flaky varnish which was also peeling off.
The windows were nothing short of disgustingly dirty and it was difficult to see through them.
Also the secondary glazing didn’t close properly and was also severely malfunctioning.
In the bathroom there were “soiled towels”.
The floor was poorly carpeted and thread bare . There where stains all over it too.
The ceiling and the coving around and above the window was in a very bad state of repair
and looked as if it would fall off at any moment.
The most incredible thing was that the electrical socket for the television , which was covered in dust,
was hanging off the wall.
I did speak to the deputy manager he said he agreed with my complaints and he was embarrassed about the condition of the room. He gave me an instant discount of 10% which I accepted without prejudice .
He implored me to contact yourself with my findings.
I have sent you some photographic evidence to support my complaint that I have attached.
To summarise the room was disgusting, shoddy and not fit for purpose. I was highly embarrassed when I entered the room with my wife.It actually was the worst room I have ever stayed in, also it was one the most expensive.
I am asking for my money back, had I known the condition of the room I would certainly have not booked.
Thank you for reading this and I look forward to your reply.

Yours

Room Tip: check your room before you pay
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank DonegalAntonio
Reviewed September 20, 2013

After reading the terrible reviews i was not looking forward to my stay as part of a National holidays coach tour.
How wrong i was to expect the worst.
From the arrival point of view we were given a warm welcome from the Manager Mohhamed. The rooms were spacious and clean and included everything to make our stay comfortable
I enjoyed the choice of fresh cooked food that was kept nice and hot and replenished quickly. The staff are hardworking, polite and helpful. Our stay included entertainment which we enjoyed. The dining area was organised and breakfast was tasty.
The location was perfect for both the seafront and town shopping. Worth a visit to the laines shopping and cafe bars.
I would definatley return again
Thankyou!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Nicie34
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was a little concerned about this hotel as I booked it after reading the reveiws..... not so. I am very confused as to what the people were moaning about in previous reveiws. Firstly may I say that this hotel is in a prime position and is easy to get to all attrations with ease. Secondly may I say that the hotel staff could not have been any more pleasant and helpful than they were. Nothing was too much trouble, they catered to our every need. Making our whole experiance a happy and delightful one. I met the manager Mr Nick Wright on my departure and he was very charming and very pleased to receive the account of my findings. Which could not have been better for, value for money, location, staff attention and comfort in both the main areas of the hotel together with our very beautiful and comfortable room. Admittidly the hotel maybe could do with a little update, but what do people expect the hotel is a very large period building and has a very grand feel to it. After my experiances I will never take any notice of any reveiws again and make my own conclusions! Thank you Royal Albion and Mr Nick Wright for giving us a memerable few days!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 418 and couldn't have been any happier! It was a sea view room on the forth f...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pippala
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our product and service, and it looks like we came up trumps on both aspects for your stay.

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is not the best hotel that Brighton has to offer....However as a wedding venue it was great!! All of the staff involved in running the wedding were absolutely fantastic. The food was tasty and hot, everything ran like clockwork However....the rooms are basic at best. I narrowly escaped a Huge disaster the night before my wedding too. I had my very expensive wedding gown hanging on the shower rail and the train draped in the bath to keep it clean (as advised in bridal shop to avoid creases)It was getting on a bit and I had decided to shower and go to bed, so I moved my dress into the main bedroom and had my shower. and the residents in the rooms above decided to use their Jacuzzi. As I was changing in the main bedroom I heard what I can only describe a torrential down pour....but not from outside, it was the bathroom!!!!! the ceiling was leaking really badly!!! I called reception and they sorted the problem....happy that I had moved my dress (5/10 mins later and thousands of pounds and my wedding day would have been ruined!!)

The wedding ceremony and reception which both took place at the hotel were amazing....however halfway through the reception, a member of staff came and got my new husband as there had been yet another downpour in our room, so he had to leave our party and move all of our stuff to another room(it took nearly two hrs!!)

I wasn't happy but I wouldn't let it spoil my day....it was getting toward 11 pm by now and my new hubby and I were exhausted from the day....we said our goodbyes to our guests and were making our way to our new room when we were stopped my a member of staff. My heart sank as we were told that there was another leak in our new room and that all our things would have to be moved from the top floor to a basement room!!!!! my husband and I didnt get into our Jacuzzi until 01.30!!!!!

Overall the day was spectacular and the service was great...I must commend Benoit and Sue (the resident wedding planners) and all the staff at the hotel....because if it wasn't for them being so alert, Everything about my wedding could have been a disaster....The hotel itself isn't up to much, but the staff are brilliant!....luckily!!!!

Room Tip: its luck of the draw....goodluck!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mumof31978
NickWright715, Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on The Royal Albion Hotel.

My maintenance staff try to deal with all issues as soon as they are informed of them. I am sorry to hear you had such issues in your bedrooms. It seems this room is not up to our usual standard.

I am glad you enjoy your weeding with us. I would be happy also to pass your comments to Benoit and Sue but they do not longer work with us.

I hope you would consider returning for a more pleasant stay in the future.