“My anniversary stay”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“My anniversary stay”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this as I have a spare hour whilst my partner gets ready to go out :)
I would like to say that on booking the hotel I did not do my usual trip advisor review on this trip ( crazy ). I have been to Brighton on many occasions so I am aware if the great location of the hotel. On booking it I then remembered about trip advisor so l looked it up ... I felt quite worried about the negativity and terrible reviews.
On arrival we were met by a friendly receptionist and the formalities were done. When we were told to go downstairs to our room my heart sunk, I had specifically requested a sea view. On finding the room down two lots of stairs and on opening the door my partner was concerned immediately that there was no window, she is asthmatic and it was a very dated room with marks all over the walls, so small and in the bathroom there was used tissues in the waste paper bin. My partner went to complain and ask for a room change, she was informed by the manager that there was no other rooms available, we were told we could have a refund or stay ..
We decided due to her asthma to look for another hotel. On going to the reception the manager Mohammed was very helpful and immediately gave a refund and even got on the phone to ring around other hotels without me even asking him to do this. Mohammed was able to secure us a room at a hotel 2 mins away and with a excellent sea view .. Many thanks Mohammed :). As for the hotel, I feel sorry for the manager as you can only work with what you have got
This is very dated and in need of a major overhaul . I did not get to drink or eat at this hotel so would be unfair to comment any further

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank AnitaPaulHamilton
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time for write a review about our hotel.

Unfortunately room availability is limited, we are situated in the centre of brightons bustling night life and are often are at full capacity

I do know you request a sea view but your booking was a standar room.

I am glad Mohamed was helpful, I passed your comments onto him who asked me to express his gratitude.

I hope you would consider returning for a more pleasant stay in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've read the previous reviews, but I can only give you my experience, we stayed at the hotel for 5 days from the 1st September to the 6th,for £435 B.B & evening meal, on arrival there was a queue at reception, so we waited for about 15 mins in reception and then were dealt with really well, we asked for a seaview room and was given one room No553, but the window didn't open and the room was hot, so we went back down and they changed it immediately to room No511, they couldn't have been nicer, the room was fine, bed linen, towels and toilet were clean, the only thing my wife pointed out was the details on the doors of the wardrobe were very dirty and the top of the wardrobe was the same, but the rest of room was clean, I actually left a do not disturb sign on the door and the cleaner left a note asking if we needed anything to call housekeeping, I met our cleaner on several occasions and she was very nice and a good worker so maybe it's a time issue, the food at breakfast was good I always looked forward to it .. now the big plus the staff were excellent .. they will get you freshly fried eggs on request no problem, they all deserve a big pay rise, ( over to you Nick ) now onto the evening meal, which was a strange ritual every night... that always bemused or amused us .. depending on whether I was actually sat down smugly eating my meal or not, the problem was when you arrived at the restaurant for your meal at 7.00pm the tables were mostly empty but they wouldn't let you in, I quickly devised a cunning ploy of just walking straight in, sitting down and staking my claim and smiling :-) which seemed to work for the most part, then we could sit back smugly enjoying our meal while dozens of people were refused entry , while we sat in a sea of perfectly laid out functional empty tables ..... Nick !!! ...the food in the evening was brilliant and again I always looked forward to it, I would describe food as what you would expect in a very good canteen and that is not a negative description, the staff are excellent, again Nick, open up that wallet, the location is... I would say, without fear of contradiction the very best plot on the whole resort... if the famous beach and pier were any nearer, they'd be sitting on your lap. Now onto the negative's... the whole hotel is in need of a refurb, there is only one lift, which is used for both guests and the cleaning staff, so can be busy at times, but if it were to have a major refurb because of it's premier location and the fact it is a beautiful hotel architecturally, then they would be charging £300 to £500 a night and then Nick .... I'd have to say " I'm out " would I stay again ... it's a big ...YES !!!! ...

Room Tip: Don't accept any room in the basement, it looked dire from outside
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LiverpoolMike
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our product and service, and it looks like we came up trumps on both aspects for your stay.

I am sorry about the cleaning standards in your room, make sure this is not the standards we do want in our hotel and we will improve ASAP.

Thank you for your comments of the food, make sure I will pass this one to our restaurant manager and the chef.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your recent stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Brighton in the future,

Kind Regards,
london
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Upon arrival long queue to check in 1 slow person on reception. Went to room and was totally underwelmed. So thats were all the brown furniture in auction goes to. Very drab. we did have a sea view with balcony an added bonus that we paid for. Overall sort of clean but everything needed refurbishshing. The whole place needs an update and total refurb. Bad for a three star. Brighton is a quaint and buzzy town. The bed was so small, sheets were clean but of the cheapest quality. Bathroom, well you have to use it, cleanish. Towels were well worn but clean. Hairdryer cord was so short and couldnt be moved difficult to dry hair. Television was out of the ark. During the night I think everyone came back drunk and decided to slam doors and jump on floor our whole room shook. Oh well you only get what you pay for I suppose but at £145 I think it was a rip off.

Room Tip: Dont choose this hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jackiec88
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

You have mentioned the rooms are filthy, damp and dirty. There may have been an issue with your particular room but I am sure that the majority of our rooms are not any of these things. I am sorry that you experienced this and that we were not able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. We do try to deal with any housekeeping or maintenance issues as soon as they are reported.

We would be happy to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion Hotel and hope that you would have a pleasant stay experienced by the majority of our guests.

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had a bit of a bad experience in this hotel. I am disabled and had requested a room near the left and was pleased to find that I had been allocated a room beside the lift but this is where the positives ended. Check-in begins at 3pm; we arrived at 3.05 to find a huge queue trying to check in and only one lady on reception. There are NO seats in the reception area and in spite of the fact that passing staff could see that I was having problems standing there for over 30 minutes no one either got me a seat or even suggested that I could sit in the lounge until my turn to check-in arrived. It was rather unsettling to discover that the 2 people in front of me were actually at reception to ask for a refund as they had been allocated terrible rooms!!
The hotel is VERY tired and very much past its best. There is only one small lift to serve 5 floors and there was a constant queue at all times and MANY people complaining about the time it took to get to their room.
The room was very dated and even though the hotel is right at one of the main roundabouts in central Brighton it did not have any double glazing which meant it was noisy both at night and in the morning. The curtains had no blackout or proper lining and so the room was very bright from early morning. The floors in the hotel are very uneven and creak terribly making a noise every time anyone moves in the room above or the corridor outside. In spite of the fact that the bathroom faces right over the main street it did not have frosted glass in the very large window. The room and bathroom was basically clean but the carpet was very stained and very tatty.
The breakfast was OK, hot but not a big variety and the breakfast room was very crowded and not easy for a disabled person to move around.
The hotel has a good location as it is right on the promenade and beside the pier but quite a long way to walk to the town centre.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a good room in this hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank hhardinge
Dear Sir,

I am very sorry to hear of your bad experience at the Royal Albion Hotel.

I will be talking to my reception and bar staff after reading your comments about their lack of customer service. As a company this is not something which we see as acceptable.

The Royal Albion Hotel is a grade two listed building and as such we are prohibited from altering certain aspects of the hotel, including layout and the addition of a secondary lift.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Amazing spot for stay at Brighton. Sea life centere just opposite together with pier and brighton eye! Hotel got nice lounge with fab view onsea side with pier. One minus is parking, there is very limited parkings, take train!
At weekends ask for quite or high floor room, party people never goes sleep ;)

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, September 19, 2013

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booked a 1 day stay in this hotel during August 2013. Dirty old and tired room, shower head fell off the wall everytime you turned on the shower. Staff tried to be friendly and supportive, but no level of customer service can cover the shortfalls of this hotel.
Shame, as it is in a great location.
£200 for a twin room, just not worth it.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.....!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Stephen H
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on The Royal Albion Hotel.

My maintenance staff try to deal with all issues as soon as they are informed of them. I am sorry to hear you had issues in your bedroom with your shower. It seems this room is not up to our usual standard.

I hope you would consider returning for a more pleasant stay in the future.

Kind Regards
sheffield
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I have had a 4 night coach holiday at this hotel .I didnt look at the reviews until we had booked and was horrified to read them.However we had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the pier.Room was large and clean,carpet newish,furniture was quite old but matched and functional.Bathroom had newish tiles and was also clean,there was nothing lurking under the bed which was comfy.The room had had some maintenance but still needed to be painted.The hotel is very large and old and therefore much is needed.
Meals were fine we found the staff to be friendly.You could not have a better location and Brittania hotels need to be spending money on this hotel as it could be great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NickWright715, Front Office Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear madam,

I hope you get the chance to come stay with us again soon.