“Horrible service, room, food!”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is the worst I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world. Besides the decor being tired and dingy (which I can certainly live with), the staff were not helpful at all and borderline rude during the check in process. The room we were given was dirty and smelled of mildew. We ate at the bar and an absolutely horrible meal. We ordered a burger and I am not sure how you can mess that up--but leave it up to the Royal Albion....they managed. Only positive aspect of the entire stay was the location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank megan S
Write a ReviewReviews (3,067)

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a couple of years ago, but it seems to have gone down hill from then...It's a pretty basic hotel - as other reviews have pointed out the building could be lovely but is in desperate need of refurbishment. The staff were friendly and helpful but very overworked - we had to wait 20 mins in a queue to check in. I'd booked 2 'superior twin' rooms which were pretty shabby - peeling wallpaper and ancient TVs. I got a late deal on the rooms, but would have been outraged to be charged full price for them. The redeeming feature was the view of the Pier which was wonderful and the main reason we came. Severe lack of plug sockets in the room for anyone with a phone /camera to charge. Roomservice menu was dire, but there are lots of good restaurants within walking distance. Breakfast was perfectly adequate - with chips available which delighted my 6 year old. The clientele seemed as old as the decor - there's only one small lift and the queue for it resembled something out of Night of the Living Dead. Overall a fantastic location and pleasant staff - but a very dated and shabby hotel.

1  Thank ClaireS S
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We went to Brighton for the day, and after enquiring about room rates were offered a fab deal, of family room dinner and breakfast for £130 for 2 adults and two children. The room was huge and the beds very comfy, it was cleanish !! (Like my husbands version) the staff were extremely happy / helpful. We decided to stay another night. But we didn't go for diner as it wasn't very nice, over cooked and bland. And got a even better price. The breakfast was very tasty. And the dinning room looked nicely set up. Like I said in the title, in desperate need of redecorating but very welcoming, the staff were very welcoming to the kids. Would defiantly go back. The manager and malinda were especially kind and helpful. Even the chamber maid who knocked to ask if we needed any thing was so friendly we couldn't get rid of her, lol stood at the door, asking us a million questions and filling us in on her life !! It was very uncomfortable but after ignoring her for several minutes she got the hint lol would recommend to family's on a budget

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I booked this hotel to stay in over my graduation, thinking it being a grand, big and historic place it would be a real treat to stay in.
I can honestly say i was incredibly disappointed and will not be returning.
Myself and my partner were put in a small box room in the basement with no windows, and whilst i appreciate its not often we have a summer like this, there was just no air in the room. Neither of us could sleep and were informed we would be charged for the use of a fan.

After complaining the next day we were moved to the 5th floor which was a better room but still only a small window that would only open so far and no working air con. It was also a pain as there is only one lift in the entire hotel and this is used by staff and cleaners as well so quite often we would be waiting over 10/15 minutes just to get up to the room, whilst coming down we would just take the stairs, i appreciate that we are young (mid-20s) and this would not be an option to a lot of guests.

The hotel and rooms in general were very run down, stains and marks on most carpets and stairs, with facilities as ancient as the building. We paid £10 extra a night for breakfast which was a total waste of money as the food was absolutely appalling - I have received better quality food in school canteens and hospitals. It was clearly the cheapest produce they could find and was such a let down.

Would not recommend, and ridiculously over-priced for the quality. There are so many places to stay now in Brighton, especially within their price bracket and lower, and this is not one to visit.

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here, ensure you get a room from first floor or up, as basement is literally a b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charm089
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was very worried about my visit to this hotel having read the reviews but have been pleasantly surprised about some aspects of my stay.....

Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to criticise: the communal areas are tired and the whole place could do with a face-lift. There are certainly some cleanliness issues regarding windows etc.... The food in the restaurant is mediocre at best and with so many people trying to squeeze into the dining room, there were some very grumpy individuals ! (And I don't mean the staff!). I've stayed in a lot of hotels and the other guests here seem more miserable than most ! There are a lot of coach parties and by the demeanour of them it would appear that this is not the most enjoyable way to travel! My room (134) had a street light right outside at the same level as my window so my room was illuminated all night ! It is a noisy road so it was not the quietest of places.

Parking is a huge ( and expensive!) issue as the nearest NCP costs £24 for 24 hours and you only get a 20% discount . The nearby meters are for 2 hours only.

However ....... My room was huge ! It was a family room but was enormous with high ceilings and lovely draped curtains complete with tie backs. The view was spectacular.... I could sit in bed and look out at the sea. What a treat. Yes the room could have done with a lick of paint, especially the skirting and ceiling,but it was spotless apart from the windows and even had a tiny balcony . There was plenty of extra bedding, tea and coffee, chairs and towels. That is a real bonus when there are 4 of you ! I know there are worse rooms in the hotel but ours was lovely. The staff were all friendly and polite. The building, whilst in dire need of refurbishment and redecoration, is a true example of old world splendour ... High ceilings, nooks and crannies and the vast communal areas give an idea of how this must have been back in the day .

As to the location, I cannot fault it. This us the reason we stayed here.... As my sister is disabled, so we needed to be walking distance from everything! The pier,beach, the Lanes, Seafront, Pavilion and museum are all on your doorstep so you can pop back and forth. It is ideally situated.

. Would I stay here again? Possibly if I could guarantee another great room. I most certainly would not have my dinner here .... We were so close to many other fabulous restaurants that I would rather have enjoyed them rather than face the queues and grumpiness of the other guests.

One last thing .... Not all rooms are wheelchair accessible and there are steps all over the place and only one lift so be prepared for a long wait!

1  Thank DMU99
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stains on the carpet, holes in the walls, ancient television almost on floor level and no bed sheets but only a duvet.
Air conditioning not working and a window from which you can view 4 ventilation pipes...
Probably would be better a bed and breakfast for backpackers.

4  Thank stegoforo1
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked this hotel using our Tesco Rewards as we have other hotels in Brighton and have never had any issue with doing this. The first thing i will say is by doing this through the Britannia Group central reservation office the price was hiked up from £90.00 per night to £200.00 which is outrageous. After staying in this hotel i would have been unhappy paying the £90.00 that it would have been booking directly. So, save your club card rewards and your hard earned cash by staying in one of the many other hotels in Brighton. The hotel is dated, grubby and smells of drains. Only stayed for breakfast once and we had to help ourselves to hot drinks and the food on offer was cheap and tired looking including the chips. I've never stayed in a hotel where they serve left over chips from the night before for breakfast. We decided to leave early and not have breakfast on the second morning opting for services on the way home. The Royal Albion certainly deserves its position as 37th out of 43 hotels in Brighton the only surprise is there are hotels that are worse.

Room Tip: I dont think they have any. When we asked to change rooms, though the staff were helpful, they prett...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple