“Decaying splendour in a great location”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Decaying splendour in a great location”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was very worried about my visit to this hotel having read the reviews but have been pleasantly surprised about some aspects of my stay.....

Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to criticise: the communal areas are tired and the whole place could do with a face-lift. There are certainly some cleanliness issues regarding windows etc.... The food in the restaurant is mediocre at best and with so many people trying to squeeze into the dining room, there were some very grumpy individuals ! (And I don't mean the staff!). I've stayed in a lot of hotels and the other guests here seem more miserable than most ! There are a lot of coach parties and by the demeanour of them it would appear that this is not the most enjoyable way to travel! My room (134) had a street light right outside at the same level as my window so my room was illuminated all night ! It is a noisy road so it was not the quietest of places.

Parking is a huge ( and expensive!) issue as the nearest NCP costs £24 for 24 hours and you only get a 20% discount . The nearby meters are for 2 hours only.

However ....... My room was huge ! It was a family room but was enormous with high ceilings and lovely draped curtains complete with tie backs. The view was spectacular.... I could sit in bed and look out at the sea. What a treat. Yes the room could have done with a lick of paint, especially the skirting and ceiling,but it was spotless apart from the windows and even had a tiny balcony . There was plenty of extra bedding, tea and coffee, chairs and towels. That is a real bonus when there are 4 of you ! I know there are worse rooms in the hotel but ours was lovely. The staff were all friendly and polite. The building, whilst in dire need of refurbishment and redecoration, is a true example of old world splendour ... High ceilings, nooks and crannies and the vast communal areas give an idea of how this must have been back in the day .

As to the location, I cannot fault it. This us the reason we stayed here.... As my sister is disabled, so we needed to be walking distance from everything! The pier,beach, the Lanes, Seafront, Pavilion and museum are all on your doorstep so you can pop back and forth. It is ideally situated.

. Would I stay here again? Possibly if I could guarantee another great room. I most certainly would not have my dinner here .... We were so close to many other fabulous restaurants that I would rather have enjoyed them rather than face the queues and grumpiness of the other guests.

One last thing .... Not all rooms are wheelchair accessible and there are steps all over the place and only one lift so be prepared for a long wait!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank DMU99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stains on the carpet, holes in the walls, ancient television almost on floor level and no bed sheets but only a duvet.
Air conditioning not working and a window from which you can view 4 ventilation pipes...
Probably would be better a bed and breakfast for backpackers.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank stegoforo1

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

framlingham
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked this hotel using our Tesco Rewards as we have other hotels in Brighton and have never had any issue with doing this. The first thing i will say is by doing this through the Britannia Group central reservation office the price was hiked up from £90.00 per night to £200.00 which is outrageous. After staying in this hotel i would have been unhappy paying the £90.00 that it would have been booking directly. So, save your club card rewards and your hard earned cash by staying in one of the many other hotels in Brighton. The hotel is dated, grubby and smells of drains. Only stayed for breakfast once and we had to help ourselves to hot drinks and the food on offer was cheap and tired looking including the chips. I've never stayed in a hotel where they serve left over chips from the night before for breakfast. We decided to leave early and not have breakfast on the second morning opting for services on the way home. The Royal Albion certainly deserves its position as 37th out of 43 hotels in Brighton the only surprise is there are hotels that are worse.

Room Tip: I dont think they have any. When we asked to change rooms, though the staff were helpful, they prett...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mickey66Framlingham
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have NOT been back to this hotel since last year but was interested to check out the recent reviews on this place. Unfortunately nothing has changed since we visited Sept 2012,in fact I think it has got WORSE! I was amazed at the AWFUL pictures people have put up. Only thing going for it is the location but I think I would rather go somewhere else with nice rooms and decent food but not in the centre of town.
I can however recommend THE WHITE HORSE at ROTTINGDEAN which is a 10 minute drive into Brighton,on a bus route,food and rooms are excellant,I LOVE this hotel as its on the sea front and have been there 5 times.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sofia G
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My best friend booked a twin room as a Birthday treat for me, The room was on floor -1, obviously a posh word for BASEMENT. When we entered the room, it was dank, and smelt stale. The wardrobe, chest of drawers and dressing table were very old, and grotty. (I have seen better in our local Council Tip). The one window had dirty nets, and in the morning, we opened the curtains to see a skanky brick wall. The Shower didn't work, and when you turned on the cold tap in the bathroom sink, you got your feet washed too. Black mould round the bath, and the floor was badly sealed round the bath.

Room Tip: A tip?..Dont book here, go somewhere else.!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Barb1708
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I recently booked my parents into here via laterooms and they had a sea view room on the fourth floor. On arrival the booking was not on the system but within minutes a room was offered that was suitable with the arranged sea view; the guy on reception was very helpful and friendly. The room was fine although in need of decoration. There was a very old fashioned TV which only picked up basic channels with no freeview. The bedding was clean but a sheet and duvet cover were frayed. The room had a great view of the pier and was quiet. The lift in the hotel is small and at peak times during check in/out can be very busy so be prepared to wait. There is a musty smell about the place with possibly some issues around sewage waste as this could be smelled in the bathroom at times.
The lounge enjoys a lovely view downstairs and bar prices are very reasonable. There are some chairs and settees that either need recovering or throwing out! The hotel serves a breakfast buffet which cost an additional £5 but was fine; fairly busy but items were topped up and again friendly staff. The hotel also serves a buffet dinner for less than £10 but we didn't try this. I think if you manage to get a sea view room you are lucky. There are some rooms with no view or the ones at the back which would be awful. Three stars are awarded for the friendly staff, perfect location on the level if you have mobility issues and room with a sea view. Come on Brittania give this place a face lift!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alanchip
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here just for one night due to not being able to get into premier inn for an extra night. Was extremely disappointed. The room was dirty, windows and curtains were filthy. Our room overlooked the back off the hotel where the bins were located, these bins were emptied at 4am by a very noisy bin lorry!! The bath tap had a leak and the bath was green from this obviously being a problem for some time. The bath panel was broken and I ripped my trousers on it. Was very glad to get to the premier inn up the road! Avoid like the plague

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back off the hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TjR0cks
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

I take your comments about our staff very seriously and I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the levels of customer service.

You have mentioned the rooms are filthy, damp and dirty. There may have been an issue with your particular room but I am sure that the majority of our rooms are not any of these things. I am sorry that you experienced this and that we were not able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. We do try to deal with any housekeeping or maintenance issues as soon as they are reported.

We would be happy to welcome you back for a future stay at The Royal Albion Hotel and hope that you would have a pleasant stay experienced by the majority of our guests.

Kind Regards