“A bit dated and cold!!”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Me and my wife went to this hotel on a special deal they were offering, room, 3 course meal, bottle wine and breakfast for £65 a night, so I'm not going to be to complaisant, however, the hotel is out of date, the tv in the room is really old, and the furniture looks like its from the 50's. the duvet was exactly the same size as the mattress, so there was no overhang therefore not making the bed very snug. And the room was really cold! the heating wasn't on, so asked at reception about the heating and they said they turn the heating off as it was summer time, (may 23rd).

But overall was ok due to the location, the food was good too, though at breakfast the coffee they have was horrible.

For what we paid it was ok, I'm just glad i didn't pay full price.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, look for special deals/offers.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel. The room is a bit small but clean. The breakfast is good. It is a value for money hotel. The bus terminal is on the back side of the hotel, so, it is very convenient to travel to and from Heathrow and Gatwick airport.

Room Tip: There is just one small elevator. It could accommodate only 2-3 persons at a time.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My family booked three double rooms as a birthday present back in January. For Weekend 17-19th May .My daughter had asked for us to be close together. We were on 1st floor, one was on 4th floor and the other room was over nightclub. We could not have been further apart.

I enquired about parking and was told the closest was the Theatre car park, They said it was just behind the hotel. I was not sure of the distance so went ahead and booked for two nights at a cost of £40.00.

I had to struggle with wheelchair,suitcase and bags for a good 15 mins walk. This I accepted. I was looking forward to spending time with my family for the weekend
The room itself was straight out of Faulty Towers. Although I am sure the furniture must have been in better state, stained, chunks out, tea tray very poor.
The next morning the breakfast was almost cold.and unedible. I just had toast.
My daughter in law had booked a restaurant that we were looking forward too Saturday evening. We had spent the day on front and Pier which we had enjoyed.We returned to our rooms at 4.00pm to get bathed and changed ready for the evening.We had to leave hotel by 6.30pm. Unable to wash. It was not the same putting on our Glad rags and feeling dirty hair not washed, a woman would understand this. Also for a time the lift was not working, so we worried how we were to get my husband down stairs no apologies from staff.
We had a wonderful meal in a lovely Fish Restaurant. we would send anyone too. A surprise Birthday cake and my family around me. This had made up for the disappointment with the dirty shabby hotel.With a sea view that you had to have window open to see as they were so dirty. I would not recommend any one too this hotel. I would be embarrassed to do so. This could have so spoilt my 70th Birthday. My family being there was the world too me. Another daughter and son also travelled from London to be with us.
So please do not expect anything good if you book this hotel for any occasion, It is dreadful. The most we can be compensated for is a 10% for one night. We are going to look into this further. I have contacted Watchdog too.

Room Tip: Dont go there.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Joining it's sister hotel "Britannia Airport Hotel, Manchester" in the top 5 worst hotel's I've ever stayed in, The Albion is more Jim Royle than suited to the Queen.
Good Points: Great location, room overlooked the Pier. 10/10
Bad Points: Room smelt of stale fags, Floorboards in room above creaked, Sash windows didn't seal, so were loud & rattley and the room was freezing! The lovely white linen was spoilt by a horrid old rag at the end of the bed. Once upon a time this was probably a lovely runner. Now bobbly, stained and faded - BIN THEM ALBION!! Curtains let in too much light, may as well not bother drawing them. The TV was prehistoric and there were only two plug sockets for the whole room. Bring your own shampoo/shower gel - theres only enough to clean a small rodent. No toilet on ground level, a very long walk from the bar/dining room. Sofas in the main lounge area ripped/torn/worn through. The whole hotel needs a refit, it's knackard.
And to top everything off.. At breakfast we were evacuated to an uncleaned bar as the ceiling was falling in due to [from the stained ceiling seemingly another] water leak.

STAY ELSEWHERE!!!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

The first room (421) we had was a disaster. Outside the window were 2 big generators which created immense heat and noise in the room. The bathroom was completely laughable! The shower leaked into the bedroom and the sink did not drain.
On a plus side after complaining we were upgraded to a sea view, smoking room.
The staff were fantastic, especially mike the night manager who could not do enough for us.
Unfortunately there was an issue with the water in the hotel but this was no ones fault as it is a very old building.
We will book again as the location and staff made it memorable but just not in room 421.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 20, 2013

took partner here for her birthday,room was good and clean,food was great,no parking unless you want to pay,really enjoyed our stay here as also met with my daughter,,
best bit was because the hotel is in the centre of the town,then after about 10pm the locals start kicking off outside at various bars and then the plod arrive,so it makes staying more merry

Room Tip: unless you have won the lottery,i suggest you use trivago to book this hotel,
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Britannia Hotel's Brighton location is one terrible, disappointing experience from start to finish. We were visiting Brighton for a weekend as two couples and another friend with three rooms booked (2 doubles and 1 single). Our room had a rate of £90 per night which is not expensive by Brighton's standards but neither is it the cheapest offering.

The whole place is rather tired and in serious need of a make-over. But, whilst I can forgive outdated decor, poor levels of cleanliness are not acceptable and our room was revolting. The windows were filthy - absolutely covered in all manner of dirt and when I opened the window there was a pool of cigarette ends that the previous occupier(s) had left in the guttering.

The temperature in the rooms was unbearable and despite there being something on the wall indicating that there was some air conditioning available, a visit to reception informed me otherwise. We were offered a fan to run instead, the noise of which is about as bearable as the revellers outside if you choose to sleep with your window open. The curtains were filthy with stains on them. The heating unit on the ceiling was absolutely covered in dust, so thick it was hanging down in places.

A visit to the restaurant for breakfast the next morning started to cement the full horror of our experience. The buffet-style breakfast was seriously low quality and luke-warm at best. We didn't repeat the experience.

However, what really compounded the issue was a problem resulting in the hotel ceasing to have any water for almost the entire of Saturday daytime. No showers, no baths, no toilet flushing. Nothing. For those of us who had travelled down for specific events and celebrations, this ruined the weekend as we were either confined to the hotel or limited to where we could go. It also meant we were unable to keep to our scheduled plans, inconveniencing us and others around us.

Communication around the issue was poor with limited information pertaining to when this would be fixed. My friend and I were kept waiting continuously as we repeatedly checked on progress.

By 5.40pm we had reached breaking point and spoke to the Duty Manager about the situation. This became the most frustrating experience as he repeatedly changed his word in terms of how he could recompense us for this experience.

We were told, initially, that a 10% compensatory gesture would be made which we found insulting. Secondly, we were told that 15% was the most that they could offer. At this stage, we were still unable to use the water.

Standing outside, the Duty Manager said that he would refund one of the two nights to one of double rooms occupants. However, upon discussion inside, he seemed to back track and wanted to offer 50% of one night's stay for each double room as the water was coming on again. Bizarrely, he only would offer 28% of one night's stay to the single room occupant in our group. He said that if the water went off again, he would give us the rest of the one night refund. He told us that if we wanted to pursue a full refund for one night (or more), despite the fact he had already offered us this, we would need to do so in writing but he could process this smaller amount immediately as well. As soon as my husband had started the refund process on his credit card, the duty manager started immediately telling me that we would not be able to pursue this further which was contrary to what he had earlier said.

Very disappointing approach to customer service.

Sure enough, the water stopped again and the following morning on check-out we pursued the rest of the refund for the first night which we received. I also raised my complaints about cleanliness and quality which the duty manager (a different one to the previous day) chose to entirely ignore in responding to me.

Britannia Hotels state on their website that their "aim is to provide extremely good value for money". They have obviously misunderstood "value for money" and seem to believe that if something is cheap then quality does not matter. The essence of something being "extremely good value for money" is that there is some value, for the money you pay.

Additionally, they state that their company "offers extremely competitive rates but also combines this with richness in décor and facilities". This is simply not the case at the Royal Albion where you will be greeted by peeling wallpaper, filthy windows and soft furnishings and poor levels of general cleanliness combined with a lack of any richness in anything.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends