“Cheap and central; shame about the customer service in the end.”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Cheap and central; shame about the customer service in the end.”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was honestly the cheapest hotel i found in Brighton for the weekend prior to Christmas and it is by no means swish or stylish but the rooms were clean and a breakfast buffet was free! You literally can not find a better location in Brighton and I think this may be why they have never bothered doing it up - maybe they make enough money without giving it a lick of paint but the decor is severely dated and the rooms were too hot and stuffy - we slept with the windows open when it was freezing outside!

I would have loved to give this hotel four stars for the convenient location and complimentary breakfast (which really was excellent!) however, we left something in the room and called the next day to see if they had found it. We called five times, left messages with different reception staff each time and we were never called back. We appreciate they were busy but I would have thought that, over a ten hour time period with five phone calls, we could have expected a response - even if they couldn't find our missing object, a courtesy call was expected. I felt this really let the hotel down in our eyes as when we left we felt we had found a bargain hotel with a great location and fantastic food...it's a shame really :(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TheVodkaFairy
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Your comments have been passed to Maintenance and Housekeeping managers in order that the points raised with regards to your room are dealt with as soon as possible.

I do understand that the room was very hot and this affected your sleep. I am disappointed that we were unable to rectify these issues prior to your departure. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning within the hotel. The room will be inspected and any repairs carried out as a matter of urgency.

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide all our guests with an exemplary level of customer service. I hope that you will return to us, where the standards will be as expected.

Operations Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

After reading some reviews I thought we would still give the hotel a chance as I'd read bad reviews in the past but found some really nice hotels. Well i should have listened this time!!!
We were given a room in the basement with no windows which wasn't too much of an issue but it felt like midnight all the time.
I went to brighton for a night out with my boyfriend and his friends but was feeling unwell so decided i would stay in for the night and sleep it off, boy was i wrong. Turns out theres a nightclub in the hotel (noone had told me this!) and it was RIGHT above our room! So between 9pm and 2pm I heard every single song word for word and our room was vibrating. It was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel and spent most of it crying as I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep.
I complained in the morning and was told even if I had complained during the night there were no rooms they could have moved me to, was offered a 10% discount (so £6... no thanks) and told to email the GM. Having emailed them i've now been offered 50% off my NEXT stay. There will be no next stay, I can't express how unimpressed I am.

Room Tip: Room 184 is directly below the nightclub, if offered this ask to move!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I can only apologise for the noise disturbance which you had from the night club in the hotel. We do have noise restrictors on our equipment, obviously these did not manage to stop disturbance to you on this night.

Operations Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Lymm
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and sadly this was not the best of experiences. From the moment I checked in it felt cheap and tacky with a grunt from the check in.

I was sent to the furthest point from reception in a room with no real view - room 198. Walling the corridors to the room was not much fun as they stunk of stale smoke, outside rooms bottles and plates with stale food and signs to confuse. The decor of the room was sparce and appeared to be furnishing collated from a charity sale room with a TV almost as old that did not work!! When I spoke to the reception all I got was, "sorry the maintenance man isn't working today!"

The only plus side to this hotel is its location which is one of the reasons that I picked this hotel.

I suggest that the management of this hotel and Britannia Group look at this hotel and give it a thorough update and train your staff in Customer Service.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Jaxjas
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the housekeeping was not up to our usual high standards.
I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping department, in order that the chambermaids are instructed to clean the rooms thoroughly.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Your comments have also been passed to the Maintenance manager in order that the points raised with regards to your room are dealt with as soon as possible.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Without being unkind this hotel is old, dirty, and creepy. The rooms smell, the furniture is old and broken and bar area looks like something from faulty towers. That said £25 for a night on the beach front in Brighton is nearly cheaper than a parking space in the same location.....

Also I must point out some of the staff have a gothic/rocky horror type style going on....however they were pleasant. It does help add to the overall spooky feel to the hotel though

You get what you pay for... I would pay more next time....

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank MrFairandhonest
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you didnt enjoy your stay with us here at Royal Albion.
please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort caused, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your very useful comments.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

After being greeted by a weary and nonchalant receptionist, we got to the room that was badly made up and disgustingly dirty. Nothing had been replaced - biscuit packets were open on the table, moulding walls, open soaps and dirty glasses... The list goes on. We switched rooms to another - slightly bigger and somewhat cleaner (except for the sticky table), with an inviting view of the mouldy and loud air shaft.

The worst thing was the bathroom. The toilet seat was not attached and there was masses of mould. Out of the 11 lamps/lights in the room, 8 did not work at all. After one night we decided to leave - the thought of staying the second night was too much. Staff were rude, careless and quite obviously fed up - our request for the room change was met with a sigh ('it happens a lot'). Overall it was laughable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It is regretful that we did not provide the exemplary level of customer service usually afforded by our hotel on this occasion. Your comments have been forwarded to all heads of department in order that the issues you have reported can be investigated. Any remedial action will be taken as soon as possible, regarding your room.

sutton in ashfield notts
Reviewed January 4, 2013

just back after a smashing break at the albion. food was first rate and plenty of it rooms loverly and warm,spacious and comfortable. had problem with the shower, rang reception 5mins later knock on the door. enter mr smiley with tool bag 2 mins later job done exit mr smiley hows that for service. brilliant location opposite pier and very close to town centre. next door to royal pavillion. ideal spot. staff all happy and smiley even manager lol. give it a try you will not be dissappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

I have passed your positive comments on to our maintenance manager.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you choose Royal Albion, during your next visit to Brighton.

buckingham
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We use Royal Albion regularly. Staff, although very busy, are helpful and courteous. Hotel: location excellent. Rooms: big, bright, comfortable, homely. Great air con and heating system. We love the fact that this hotel has not been spoiled with brash modernisation. Dining: excellent selection of food,well cooked and generous. Chef very helpful when we had a guest with nut allergy. Dining room staff: professional, efficient, friendly and happy for our family, living locally, to join us for dinner at any time. Value for money: best around.

Room Tip: Just ask for whatever you require. Staff will do their very best for you.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple