“Enjoyable n comfortable stay”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
East Sussex
“Enjoyable n comfortable stay”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel a couple of times now, when we go to the Theatre and have no way of getting transport home. Yes the rooms maybe a little old fashioned, but they are homely and comfortable. The staff very friendly and accomadating, the food delicious, as much as you could eat. Cleanliness outstanding. Maybe the reviews that were slightly unkind were much younger than us, but we love it and it is always full. We wouldn't hessitate to go back again.

Room Tip: Basement rooms quieter but no windows, higher floors having greater views, depends what you want for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stays at The Royal Albion Hotel Brighton.

Here at Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide an exeplary level of customer care.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay here with us, and hope you choose Royal Albion during your next stay in Brighton.

Yours Sincerely

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

my partner and i booked this hotel in hope of a romantic getaway.
We booked the executive suite, with sea views, four poster bed and jacuzzi.
When we arrived, we were shown our room which i can say was pretty average for the executive suite, and there was no sign of jacuzzi.
When i told reception, they failed to mention this beforhand, and said they had made some mistake.
The only room they could offer with jacuzzi was down in basement, view of a wall, with a fire extinguisher thrown on the floor outside our window and the smallest tv.
Wanted to check the jacuzzi was working, had black dirt all in the bath, and turned out, the jacuzzi didnt even work.
So we paid 100pounds for one night to have all of this - four poster bed,, sea view, jacuzzi, etc.
And we got none of it. One i told a staff member this , he gave us a complimentary drink pass each at the bar- a bar that closed at 10pm, ( it was passed ten and we were there for one night) , his only answer to it all was to get drunk.

So all in all, a thoroughly disappointing stay, we didnt even stay for our breakfast in the morning as we were so tired being kept awake from all the noise from within the hotel and from the main road outside our window.

i find it ridiculous how you can charge so much money for average, grubby hotel rooms!
As kind as it is for a complimentary drink, that does not cover the cost of everything we had paid for and didn't even get.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gigi G
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Your comments have been passed to all our Heads of Department in order that this feedback can be passed to staff in order that future guests do not experience this poor standard of service. Please be assured that the comfort and experience of our guests is our priority.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

Yours sincerely,

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Godalming
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have stayed in some pretty ropey hotels in the past, both in the UK and abroad, and can put up with quite a lot, but this by far the most cynically dreadful hotel of all ! Don't bother, because they certainly don't.

What is striking about this hotel is that the management group owning it seem to hold their customers in contempt - just look at the vast majority of the reviews. The same problems that I experienced seem to have been happening for the last 10 years at least! I couldn't see any effort or desire to provide hospitality, value for money or even a decent place to stay. They clearly have no pride in the establishment at all, which is such a pity for what could be a lovely hotel in a prime location.

My first room was in the basement and didn't have a window - clearly trying to maximise profit by converting a store room, with no consideration of quality. I asked to be moved and was given a room at the top. View of a roof, but at least a window! Whilst the bed was comfortable and the sheets and towels clean, the room was grubby, run down and for reasons I can't begin to imagine, had all the bedside table drawers glued shut!

The breakfast was pretty dreadful ….. blue-ish scrambled eggs ( no idea how they'd managed that!), toast that was completely blackened on one side, and coffee that tasted as if it had been sitting in the urn for a week.

The hotel as a whole is an old and rather beautiful building, but under current owenership it is grubby and chaotic. Whilst there are always going to be limits on what can be done to a building of this age - there is no excuse for filthy, worn carpets, tatty furnishings and signs, and dirty windows. This isn't about ongoing refurbishment - which appears to have been used an an excuse for years - this is about not caring.

At £154 for two nights, this alone was unacceptable.

On the Sunday morning, I had to get an early train, but there was no hot water at all. This is supposed to be a hotel!!!! It is nothing to do with star ratings or price - it's a basic. When I mentioned this at reception, I was told that this was a recurring problem ( saving money perhaps?) and that attempts from the staff to bring it to the attention of (I suppose) senior management had been rebuffed as none of their business.... See what I mean about contempt......

I was asked if I wanted breakfast/coffee/dinner in recompense for the lack of hot water, but I was far from interested in any of these - and was eventually given a refund of £10. I wasn't that bothered about the £10, I still feel overcharged for a truly dreadful place.

I feel really sorry for the staff who (for the most part) were doing the best they could. I can't imagine how horrible it must be to work in a place where most of the customers are unhappy and have genuine reasons to complain. I can only assume that the managing company don't care very much about them either.....

Room Tip: Really, really don't waste your money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Moco2012
NickWright715, Hotel Administrator at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

I do apologise that your stay and room was not to the standard expected. We do have rooms on the lower ground floor which are our economy rooms.

It is regretful that on this occasion we were not able to offer the room type booked. Please be assured that this is not the usual standard of service provided at our hotel and we are deeply sorry that your enjoyment of Brighton was impacted. We are able to upgrade rooms for a charge of £10 per night although this is subject to rooms being available. you recieved a £10 refund as you were given an economy room.

Thank you once again for your comments; we do value all feedback at the hotel both positive and negative. We continue to work hard to maintain and improve standards at the hotel.

Kind Regards,

Megan Louise Bathie

Hotel Administrator
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here last weekend (23/11/2012-25/11/12) My room (411) had a spa bath which was fine until I filled it with water and found 9 - yes 9 - pubic hairs floating in it- YUK! The staff were generally friendly but the hotel is really grubby and run down. Breakfast includes flabby toast left out under heat lights and some of the worst coffee ever tasted.
Brighton is full of hotels - choose one of those and not the Royal Albion.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank charmund
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Your letter of complaint has been passed to Maintenance and Housekeeping managers in order that the points raised with regards to room 411 are dealt with as soon as possible.
thankyou for taking the time to comment on your experience.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Be sure to view room before you pay as I paid on arrival and not given the sea view room I booked for and was told a refund was not available instead I was only offered £10 a night refund
It's a shame cos it could be a beautiful hotel but it is in need of a major overhaul
Don't stay here its awful
Book a B and B elsewhere

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Jck1967
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

im sorry you havent had a great experience at our hotel.
we are in the centre of brightons bustling night life and availability for sea view rooms is limited.
£10 is the extra you paid for the sea view, as you didnt recieve one, we issued you a £10 refund each night you stayed.

operations manager

kind regards,

Megan Louise Bathie

Hotel Administrator
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a well situated hotel, unfortunately our room had a less than desirable view...of a generator! Not only was this unsightly, it was noisy throughout our 3 night stay. In addition to this, we were kept awake until 2am with thumping music coming from next door nightclub. After queueing for 30 minutes to complain, we couldn't be relocated....although we were compensated with a bottle of champagne, this doesn't alter the fact that our room was below standard!

Apart from that, the food was ok.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Janna627
Dear Customer
I am sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your experience here at Royal Albion Hotel,
we are situated along the sea front in the centre of brightons bustling night life.
every action has been taken to reduce nioise poluton from the clubs and pubs.
I apologise for any incovenience caused.
operations manager
U.K.
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I booked this 3 night stay at short notice through Britannia hotels central booking system, and the lady I spoke to was very pleasant and helpful (unlike most cbs I've had dealings with), and after a slight compromise on dates, found me a dinner bed & breakfast package for £147, and a free bottle of wine, - what value for central sea front in Brighton.
I was slightly worried about staying here after reading other reviews, but as I wanted a smoking room, choice was limited - I object to standing on street corners to smoke the occasional cigarette, especially in winter! The first room I was shown was in the labyrinth of the basement and windowless - a definite no. I was shown to another room,(non smoking as they were full) with the promise of the room of my choice for the next 2 nights, which was O.K. with me. The next day my luggage was moved to my new room while I was out as promised - opening window, but view of ventilation shaft, which was O.K. as I didn't plan on spending much time there.
The rooms were shabby, the T.V temperamental as it had the wrong remote, and the hotel vacuum cleaners obviously don't work behind doors or under furniture. Having said that, the bathroom was spotless, as were the beds and linen.
The dining room and lounge / bar were very pleasant, overlooking the pier and sea though very crowded when coach parties were in. The buffet breakfast was good and plentiful, the dinner average, but still good value.
The staff, without exception, were pleasant and helpful, even under great provocation from moaning coach parties paying 3* prices and expecting 5*.
All I wanted was a reasonable place to sleep and eat while I explored Brighton, and this hotel delivered for me, and others of the same mind I talked to.
For less than £50 per night I was well pleased and enjoyed my stay, though I wouldn't have been so happy to pay the original price quoted of £170 per night.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before booking in. Be flexible with dates to get a good deal.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank gilly2212
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 4, 2012

Yours sincerely,