“Royal Albion Brighton”

Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Royal Albion Brighton”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Booked this hotel at short notice as very few hotels rooms left in Brighton. After booking read the reviews and thought about cancelling. I normally stay in 4-5 star hotels.
Arrived at hotel and although the decor was very tired it didn't seem that bad and staff were helpful.
Got to my room 309, again very tired and in need of a refurb but clean. I like lots of pillows so rang reception and asked for 2 more and they arrived within 5 minutes.
Got woken up at 5.30am due to a drunken brawl outside the hotel but to be fair the hotel is right in the middle of Brighton and not there fault.
Breakfast was good but don't have breakfast between 9.15 -1000 on a Sunday morning, you will have to queue and may not get a table straight away.
All in all not a bad stay and good value for money, ignore the web warning that refurbishments are ongoing as there is no sign of this at all.
Would I stay there again? For on or two nights yes.

Room Tip: 309 good outlook and very spacious.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent comments.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at Royal Albion.
We strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.
We hope you choose Royal Albion hotel during your next visit to Brighton.
Yours Sincerely

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We went to spend a nice weekend at the Royal Albion Hotel, paid for an executive room with a spa bath and sea view. We arrived there at 4pm, had to pay upfront, got into the room and it was like stepping into a (filthy, damaged) furnace - the 'air conditioning' was on hot at full-blast and it was unbearable. As we have a young toddler, we called down immediately and they sent a porter to turn it off. We opened the window as we were told 'it only does hot' and went out for dinner. On our return almost three hours later, it was exactly the same. I called the manager, 'Mohammed' to complain about not only the heat of the room, but the fact that there were two holes kicked in the wall and a huge hole in the bathroom door, the filthy carpet, broken lampshade and TV, which turned itself off every 6 minutes. However, Mohammed told me maintenance would come up, as he was 'too busy' to deal with me. Maintenance did come up and the chap was lovely and said the heat was 'ridiculous'. Mohammed said he'd send up a fan, but when I called after 20 mins waiting for the fan, was told Mohammed had gone home!!!
To add insult to injury, I had picked that hotel because of the spa bath in the room, but guess what?!? Yup, it didn't work!! A new manager came up to see us and offered me 10% refund - a whole £13 refund. At 8.30pm, we packed up and left - preferring to drive 2 hrs home than stay there one more minute. I will be writing to the CEO of Britannia Hotels, but if that's what his hotels and managers are like, I shan't be holding my breath for an apology. Do yourself a favour and steer well clear of this dump - it's a disgrace that this lovely old building has been allowed to fall into such disrespectful hands.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank fionascotland
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Your letter of complaint has been passed to all our Heads of Department in order that this feedback can be passed to staff in order that future guests do not experience this poor standard of service. Please be assured that the comfort and experience of our guests is our priority.
Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your recent stay with us.
I do understand that the room was very hot and this affected your sleep. I am disappointed that we were unable to rectify these issues prior to your departure. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning within the hotel. I have passed your letter of complaint to our maintenance department in order that the room is inspected and any repairs carried out as a matter of urgency.
Thank you once again for your comments; we do value all feedback at the hotel both positive and negative. We continue to work hard to maintain and improve standards at the hotel.

Kind Regards,

Operations Manager (HCIMA)

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were on a five day national holidays trip, the hotel is rather large with five floors .it is situated on the front at brighton opposite the pier,the room we were allocated was no 129 on the first floor,
my advice is if you get this room try and change it, it is a large twin room ,with plenty space. many drawers etc, and the bathroom is ok but needs decorating (ceiling) the curtains were so tall in the room we could not pull them on fully
the big snag with this room is it faces down on to a night club in the next street, and the noise goes on until 3-4am .then comes along the refuse wagons with there banging ,after that 5am approx you get the first national express coaches at the bus stops outside leaving ,

the hotel was clean , and staff pleasant , all meals are self service there was a fairly good selection, but with it being self service and many people wanting food at the same time it was a hazzle at meal times .
the food was usually hot if you got there early, but then you had to join the line of people waiting.

the staff were very good at taking used dishes away, and changing empty food containers

there is only one lift wich at busy times was to small by far .and there was a lot of steps if you were on the top floor,

any help with luggage had to be booked the evening before departure., there are two bars but only one seemed to be open all week the lounge`s have a good view to the sea front .the price of drinks were on the high side.

mr & mrs d wilkinson date of stay at this hotel 8th to 12th october

Room Tip: do not choose room 129
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I can only apologise for the noise disturbance which you had from the night club in the hotel. We do have noise restrictors on our equipment, obviously these did not manage to stop disturbance to you on this night.
As a city centre hotel we are in the heart of Brighton’s night life. We have rooms which are on street level and I can appreciate that disturbance would have been caused by the neighbouring bus station and the public.
The restaurant is our largest room in the hotel. We do spread the breakfast time over 3 hours (7am-10am) to give our guests a chance to go at different times. As it turns out occasionally guests will head down at the same time, hence it gets slightly overcrowded.

Keller, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The room at the hotel was very dated and dirty. This seemed to be the theme for most of the public spaces in the hotel as well. TV/remote did not work properly. The food was absolutely awful...literally not edible. Had the worst wine as well

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank megan23_12
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not find the food satisfactory, we rarely get complaints about our food. I will however pass on your comments to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.
We value all feedback we receive, both positive and negative, in order that we can improve and maintain our product and service.

kind regards

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed a couple of nights at the Royal Albion for a publishing industry convention in September. I've been to a few conventions, and I'm perfectly prepared for shabby/dated/bizarre decor, indifferent service and bad food. I'm used to it and I don't care, as long as I've got a comfortable bed and a shower that works. But the Royal Albion managed to crawl in waaaaaaay under my minimal expectations.

First, the good points.

The hotel does have a great view of the sea and pier, especially from the Regency lounge and the dining room, which are both bright and high-ceilinged and have reasonable charm. From a convention point of view, it has a good number or rooms to run different events. In addition to the bar, lounge and dining room, there's a second bar (the Rogue bar, a disco was held in here), and a couple more rooms behind that, and at least 2 more conference rooms in the basement. There's a sun terrace, but only certain guests are allowed to use it.

The location is great. It's a short walk to the beach, the pier, the lanes and the Brighton Pavilion.

Generally, service in the bars was pleasant and efficient and the guys lugging the bags about were friendly.

There is a free phone for taxis at reception.

I was just a guest, not a convention organiser, so I can't comment on the hotel's helpfulness on that front.

Now for my tale of woe. I booked and paid weeks in advance. I phoned twice to make sure the dates were correct, and that there would be two beds in my room. I also had email confirmation for a family room (2 beds). I was told at reception I couldn't check in until after 3, so my friend (let's call her G) and I came back around 4 to do that.

We were shown to a small, musty, sweltering room with one tiny window. There was a hole in the wall, a frame with no picture in it, and a sign over the aircon asking guests to refrain from using it. Which was irrelevant, because it didn't work. The bathroom looked as though it had won Gold for the Least Stylish Bathroom Ever award, fitted out in chipboard and whatever was cheapest from Wickes. I could have lived with all that, but the room only had one double bed. Back down to reception.

The bloke behind the desk was condescending, bordering on hostile. He didn't look at my email confirmation on my phone. He told us that there were no more rooms in the hotel, they were allocated as they were free, whatever that meant. (We hadn't been allowed to check in early.) He said they couldn't move us and, "The manager says there will be no refunds." He told us we could have a free drink at the bar. We didn't take him up on it. He also said they'd put another bed in the room.

So we went off to enjoy the events, wondering how they'd manage to fit another bed in that small space. We found out later. They put a wooden-slatted camp bed in. So, despite booking, paying, checking (twice on the phone) and email confirmation, I was paying full price to sleep in a camp bed. G said I wasn't missing much, the double bed was like sleeping on boards anyway.

I woke up the next morning with a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders. However, it was a lovely sunny day, I was at a fun convention with good friends, and I was hoping I'd feel better after some breakfast. I don't know what they'd done to the scrambled eggs, but I'm pretty sure there's a law against it. They were anaemic, sitting in a tray in 2 inches of water and tasted of nothing. The toast was bendy. There was nothing wrong with the croissants. I can't comment on lunch or dinner in the hotel, and I'll give you 3 guesses why.

After breakfast, I asked to see the manager. The manager did not appear. Instead poor George, who seemed to deal with everything, was sent to deal with me. George was very pleasant and helpful. Thank you, George! You are the other good thing about this hotel.

George did the things that you're presumably taught to do in customer service training, like acknowledge that the hotel has made a mistake, and apologise. He also actually DID something and got us moved to a larger, airy twin room. Apparently, since people had checked out that morning it was possible to move us, but nobody offered us that option. He also arranged for us to get a 10% discount. Not great, but I realise it was the best he could do, and I'd wasted more than enough time trying to get the hotel to give me what I'd actually paid for.

In the new room, the toilet was slowly leaking from the clean water fill pipe, and the loo roll holder was broken, but it was still a vast improvement. I told hostile desk bloke about these problems as we left.

A few final things.

I realise it was a sunny weekend, but the hotel was unpleasantly sweltering, especially in the basement convention rooms. They did eventually open the windows in the lounge.

I ran into hostile desk bloke again, when I was chatting with friends in the lounge. Somebody (I assumed one of the hotel staff) had locked one set of the lounge doors, and some chairs were arranged in front on them. A bunch of us were sitting there. Desk bloke was very huffy and not remotely polite about asking us to move.

I spoke to one guest who said the hotel had messed up the dates for his booking (despite it being the same dates as everyone else attending the convention), getting everything one day late. As a result, he had to find another hotel for his first night, which the Albion were not compensating him for. They were also charging him for the last night that he didn't need.

I've been told by other convention-goers that last year a lot of the attendees had their credit cards cloned.

For the record - the decor in the rooms is pretty indifferent. The wallpaper is (deliberately) creased, which makes it look dirty and in some lights like there's water running down it. It's pale green and the curtains are red and yellow. The bed runners are burgundy. Mmmm. Lovely. Annoyingly, there's no towel rails or hooks in some of the bathrooms, so who knows where you're supposed to hang your towels or clothes.

I can't think of a single reason you'd want to stay at or eat in this place. As a guest, you're made to feel like a major inconvenience. There are plenty of hotels and B & B's in Brighton. There are lots of great restaurants. (Indian Summer is particularly good.) Do yourself a favour and avoid the Royal Albion.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank ZolaTheGorgon
Dear Guest,

It is regretful that on this occasion we were not able to offer the room type booked. Please be assured that this is not the usual standard of service provided at our hotel and we are deeply sorry that your enjoyment of Brighton was impacted.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Your letter of complaint has been passed to Maintenance and Housekeeping managers in order that the points raised with regards to your room, are dealt with as soon as possible.

Once again, Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Had two stays here on business in Brighton and it was what I would call a flop shop. There was a tired look the the hotel at the time I went there. I got the impression that most people were there on holiday. The first stay the room was in the roof and no view out at all. The second trip I had a view towards the Aquarium. being on the side of the building and having a ledge outside had plenty of winged visitors.
Would try other places first before going back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Your lettcomments have been passed to Maintenance and Housekeeping managers in order that the points raised with regards to your room, are dealt with as soon as possible.

Wangaratta, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We paid 180 UK pounds for 2 nights accommodation. The room was hot and stuffy, and that was with the window open. There were no bedside reading lamps, no towels hooks in the bathroom and no bathroom waste bin. The TV was on a box down near floor level you would have had to be a contortionist to view it. At breakfast the queue had to wait 5 minutes for a staff memnber to begin to go about getting the bacon replenished.
The small lift is inadequate for the number of guests in the hotel. It has a large and comfortable lounge room with a "view" of the Brighton Pier. Unfortunately the uncleaned windows made the view a bit fuzzy. The hotel has a scheme for paying a bit more to get a room with a view- I suspected that our poor room was designed to encourage us to upgrade., but I don't like being gouged.

Room Tip: Insist on seeing the room before committing to taking it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KERRYN T
Dear Guest,

Your comments have been passed to all our Heads of Department in order that this feedback can be passed to staff in order that future guests do not experience this poor standard of service. Please be assured that the comfort and experience of our guests is our priority.

We have many different styles of rooms available, we have 208 bedrooms, and as such the hotel can often be at full capacity. For an extra £10 per night, we offer sea view rooms.