“Good Value, Great Location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Good Value, Great Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Myself and 2 friends stayed at this hotel after a day at the races and a night out in Brighton in early August. In the past I have stayed at the Thistle and the Old Ship nearby. I chose this one as it was the cheapest I could find for a triple room including breakfast and was perfectly located (just over the road from the pier).

We checked in just after midday even though all the signs on the front desk stated that 3pm was the earliest time. Check-in staff were very pleasant and informed us that we had a sea view room which was a little bonus. To be honest, the view could be better if the windows were a little cleaner!
Our room was probably an expensive suite a few years ago. Now it is a large, clean enough room with 2 single beds and a pull-out sofa bed - ideal for us. The bathroom was a bit more modern than the rest of the room and was clean. If you wanted to stay in and watch tv and order room service, probably not the perfect hotel.
The bar was still open when we got back at around 1am so we stopped for a couple of drinks. It was pretty much deserted though - understandable for a Thursday night.
It was a warm night so we had the window open, which was a little bit noisy, but we all slept ok. The Gulls will wake you up in the morning though!

There is a large buffet breakfast including everything that you need for a full, cooked, English. Cold foods including cereals, fruit etc were also available as were juice, coffee and tea of course.

This hotel is not in the same league as some of the other hotels along the front towards the old West Pier but it is "cheap and cheerful" and is in a perfect location for exploring Brighton (Lanes, Pier, shops, restaurants and bars all within a few minutes walk).

I would recommend this hotel for 1 or 2 nights if you simply need a bed, shower and some breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Here at the Royal Albion Hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you choose Royal Albion, during your next visit to Brighton.

Operations Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Romford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

After hearing the reviews we were litterally dreading going to this place, it was booked by my new wifes friends as a getaway, as there gift for our wedding, (ok they were tight...) we saw the pictures of previous reviewers and couldnt beleive what we were in for, To the extent that we even packed our own bed sheet and FLASH wipes!!!
when we got there we stood outside and thought omg what are we in for!!! BUT when we checked in we were plesently surprised, the room was nice and tidy and the windows were not nailed shut, although it only opened a foot, but it was enough to air the room and keep it cool. ok the trouser press was broke and the extractor fan in the bathroom sounded like a scene from 'saving private ryan'.
BUT hey we were in Brighton opporsite the pier and we were there to have a great time.... and that we did the beds were clean and VERY COMFORTABLE and the staff were lovely and very helpful, the downstairs bar was cheap and always staffed with effichant friendly people, we even saw hospitality taking irons and ironing boards to guests room which was a nice touch, Breakfast..... ok it was nothing special but it was good food, overrall the FLASH wipes were not needed nor was the bedsheet, and we would go back again. (providing we had the same room, as we know that one was safe...)

Room Tip: BOOK 127!! our room was great!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JackNStacey
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Our dining arrangements are always self-service buffet style; generally speaking it is the easiest way for all concerned when we are catering for large numbers of guests.

Here at the Royal Albion hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guest.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you choose Royal Albion on your next visit to Brighton.

Yours Sincerely

Nick Wright
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Firstly myself coming from a Travel Industry background, I have never ever visited such an appalling Hotel; it really is a sham of an establishment. I would be horrified to recommend this Hotel and I cannot believe it is still in operation. Health and Safety and Britannia Customer training really does need to step in before things get any worse (If that is possible).

The location of the Hotel is perfect, and it is such a shame that the incompetence of the staff and the revolting facilities do not reflect this, as this Hotel could truly be amazing.

Previous to my stay I had questions in regards to a security deposit for my group booking, unknown to myself it was dealt with and explained by the staff incorrectly, I was given the wrong financial information which then lead to a very stressful discussion on arrival with Reception. And unbelievably again on arrival twice the Reception staff gave me another lot of incorrect information.

The Manager did not know what was going on or how to deal with the situation. He claimed he did not know why his receptionist has just said what she did (in front of her, referring to the poor girl as she) Instead he Threatened myself and a party member of my group, his words were “ you pay this much for your deposit *** and now because you have argued I will put it up to this amount ***) he shouted at us in the reception in front of all the customers, told us we could not stay here and we would have to leave as he did not want to deal with a simple problem on the booking, his manor and body language was close to an individual involved in pub brawl! Certainly not a professional Hotel Manager. He was rude, extremely upsetting and treated us with complete discontent.

I have never EVER been so shocked by someone’s behaviour within the Travel Industry in my life. I am appalled by the way we were shouted at, he became aggressive and insulting, we just felt like an over all inconvenience for him.

And now I am at home I have still not been refunded my deposit, I rang to question this and his exact words were “if you want me to help I suggest you stop talking now” It just sums up everything that is wrong with Him, The Hotel and the Staff.

Without giving any names he is not the duty Manager with the Ponytail, as he was lovely and very apologetic for our horrific experience.

The Rooms were the worst I have ever witnessed. There was Mould on the floor, smashed doors, broken shower rails, a horrific damp smell, and the Toilets on the ground level were revolting, and to top it off the smell of sewerage would have been a lot nicer than the stench of the Toilets on the Ground floor. The lobby was in tatters; there were rips on the Chairs, mould on the walls and paper pealing off all over the hotel. And they have the cheek to ask me for a deposit to cover any damage that would be made in the rooms !!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE save your money and your sanity and book somewhere else. This is not a 3 star Hotel!!!!!
From a professional point of view and if I was inspecting this Hotel I would have it closed down tomorrow, let alone give it 3 stars (which lets be honest they must have won out of a rice crispy packet).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Many of our staff are foreign, however they do speak a certain amount of English, I think the language barrier may have caused some confusion, thus leading you to believe it was being rude.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced, but thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us with your very useful comments.

Operations Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Had two rooms here at the beginning of August.
Firstly the location could not be better!
Right opposite the pier, 5minutes from the center of town.

From the outside the hotel looks like an impressive building though could do with a lick of paint!

You walk in to a spacious reception leading to a clean spacious lounge area.
It's dated but works somehow.

We had two rooms on the lower ground floor.
How Quirky!!
You go down a flight of stairs into a maze of corridors like a rabbit warren!
We bumped into a few people looking dazed and lost looking for their rooms
All good fun though, and if you pay attention to the signs you won't get lost.

The rooms are run down yet somehow charming.
Very clean, spacious bathrooms.
Well stocked with tea. Biscuits sugar and a clean kettle.

It was quiet and although it was right in the throng we weren't disturbed.

Breakfast was plentiful.

For the fantastic price of £55 cannot complain!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Daisy C
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your recent stay with us.

Here at Royal Albion hotel, we strive to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all our guests.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you choose Royal Albion during your next visit to Brighton.

We value all feedback we receive, both positive and negative, in order that we can improve and maintain our product and service.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I booked this hotel because of the close proximity to Brighton Pier. I booked 3 double rooms at this hotel for a 2 night midweek break. We arrived at the hotel half and hour before check in and the receptionist informed me that she did not have a booking for us and asked who we had booked with so I told her. She made a couple of calls and then asked us to wait in the lounge while she sorted it out. The lounge has very tired, shabby and the leather sofas had big cracks in them! 30 mins later she told us our rooms were ready. Please note at this stage we had not seen the receptionist smile at all. We had 2 rooms on the 1st floor and 1 on the 4th. We upgraded as it was quite cheap to do so. The first room (116 small for a double) was a seaview double with a jacuzzi and balcony and not too shabby. The 2nd room was (132) miles away from 116. So I asked for a closer room and was given 109. This room is specially adapted for disabled people and was three times the size of 116 with a jacuzzi but no seaview. The jacuzzi however was not working and they could not fix it so they refunded the upgrade amount which I thought was fair enough. Happyish with those to rooms we went to our 4th floor room and omg this room was the pits! I don't mean untidy I mean it smelled of damp it actually felt damp and the paint was peeling of the window and the wallpaper was peeling off with damp patches! So off I went down to reception and told them I didn't want that room so they gave me 132 again. I was happier with all 3 rooms on the same floor. I wasn't being difficult but had to make sure my parents were ok.
On my 2nd night there I thought I would utilise the trouser press so I opened it and the whole thing fell off the wall! I informed reception and they said they had no one to fix it so I leaned it against the wall and told my 7 year old daughter to stay away from it. With regards to the food the breakfast was ok, the afternoon tea was lovely and served by the lovely bar staff and the dinner looked like s**t! How this hotel is charging so much per night and getting away with it I have no idea. In my opinion the only good thing about this hotel is the location. I feel cheated as its my only holiday this year. This hotel needs refurbishing and to send some of their staff on a customer care course.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank M G
Dear Guest,

Our restaurant is a self-service buffet style operation for all meals; this can help service to progress smoothly and fairly quickly.

I am sorry that you did not find the food satisfactory. We rarely get complaints about our food. I will however pass on your comments to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

It is unfortunate that we did not provide the level of service usually afforded by our hotel on this occasion. Your letter of complaint has been forwarded to all heads of department in order that the issues you have reported can be investigated and any remedial action taken, immediately regarding your rooms.

Hull Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Went to this hotel with National Holidays for 7 nights. Been a grand hotel in its day but looking a little weary now. Had a room at the back but not a bad view(had a lot worse)but could have had the windows cleaned!. Nice size room with tea making facilities. Lovely lounge with good views, great location just opposite the pier. Good food although the choice for some might be a bit limited but you have to queue and serve yourself so can have as much as you want. Staff good but not much interaction as they did not appear to speak much english.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NickWright715, General Manager at Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton, responded to this review, December 13, 2012

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

The hottest hotel ever stayed in my life . No air con . ! . Jacuzzi did not worked to old !.. hard to find accordingly to there room number , ( no signs to help ). Very noisy has had to have window open all night .. because of no air con . No car parking had to walk 15 mins to car park . . Overall what a rip off .. for £150 , 2 nights . Don't even think about booking this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you choose royal albion during your next visit to Brighton.