“Misleading, dont go there”

Royal Albion Hotel-Brighton
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Misleading, dont go there”
Reviewed December 2, 2007

We booked the so called 'Superior Double Deluxe room' in this hotel under lastminute.com, it was so bad that we wonder what other non-deluxe rooms looked like. The 1930s decor looked like it hasnt been cleaned since 1930s and the breakfast was like dog food.

Stayed December 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bedfordshire
Reviewed November 25, 2007

If only I had found this site before I booked the hotel! The place is a complete shabby mess, and the staff are useless, rude and unfriendly. The breakfast was rubbish, and our room was drafty, had a broken window and damaged mattresses. Better to sleep in your car than pay to go there!! DON'T BOOK IT!!

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank halo_0

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London
Reviewed November 5, 2007

The owners of this hotel should be ashamed of themselves. Never have I been to a place where the management clearly do not care one hoot to what their customers would want. The hotel is one of the most tired buildings I have ever seen. Paint is peeling from every area on the inside and out. The carpet were thread bare and mostly held down with gaffer tape. The furniture was pre WW1 and falling apart, dirty and presumably full of every known bacteria and bug available in the UK. The rooms were smelly, beds were horrendous and the sheets and towels were over used. The bathrooms were knackered and looked unhygienic. I was staying at the front of the hotel that overlooked a night club called revenge. Well it took its revenge on me with thumping music and noisy street loitering smokers til 4.00am in the morning. The room was hot even in a mild November and the air conditioning did not work. I therefore had to open the window to enjoy a much clearer sound of the night club below!. The 2nd night I cleared out and moved into the Thistle next door. It felt like five star luxury in comparison. All the staff though at the Albion were friendly but clearly demotivated. This place should be closed down and refurbed. Please avoid at all costs!! The owners do not deserve your money. Give it to hotels who care.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dukes1London
Berkshire
Reviewed October 25, 2007

This has to be the worst Hotel we have ever stayed in. It was our Wedding Anniversary so we booked a "Superior" room. We were so disappointed, the room was smelly, damp, the windows did not open, the wallpaper was peeling, the bath was filthy, the bedding did not look clean, the furniture was old, need I go on? The breakfast was basic to say the least and the reception staff were not interested in our complaints. I have written to the head office and have now waited 5 weeks for a reply. I have requested a full refund for our stay, but I am still waiting. I would never stay at this Hotel again and would recomend that it is avoided at all costs. The room was £140.00 for one night - daylight robbery!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FOSS11
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed October 23, 2007

This hotel was booked through my partners uncle who lives in Brighton. We did not check reviews on trip advisor until after he had booked at which time my heart sunk and a fear of what i was letting myself in for set in.

After discussions with my partner and friends who we were travelling with we decided to give it a try at worst case we could leave and go elsewhere.

When we arrived the staff were courteous and we were booked in quickly. The hotel lobby is decent and a nice bar. The actual location of the hotel is superb. The room was clean and tidy with fresh bedding and towels and everything worked fine.

The furniture in the room was slightly dated and looked a bit worse for wear .

When booking a hotel it is like everything the earlier you book and the cheaper it is the closer the time gets and the more the hotel fills up the more expensive it is. This is the same in all hotels in the UK. This is not a luxery hotel but it is a decent clean hotel with friendly staff who were polite and helpful. If it is slightly overpriced it is because people maybe left it too late to book one or they are maybe expecting too much.

Don't read too much into the bad reviews of this hotel give it a chance but don't leave it too late too book either otherwise you may pay over the odds for what people expect.

• Liked — Location next to Brighton Pier
  • Disliked — Slightly dated in some areas
  • Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Fife_Traveller_UK
UK
Reviewed September 23, 2007

This hotel is expensive for what you get (very over priced in my opinion). We are used to travelling on a budget & staying in 3 star or less type places, but this hotel is poor quality, noisy, and the food is poor.
Room basic with "just about ok" bed - king size but old mattress and bottom sheets that only just fitted. Kettle with tea,coffee & milk, TV, Trouser press.
Bathroom needed an update but I did enjoy the large whirlpool bath, clean towels, soap and shower lotion provided
Food poor - we tried the 3 course evening meal deal (just under £13 each) - it's not worth it, "School meal/large canteen" type serve yourself food that was going cold and veg a "soggy mush"
Breakfast was slightly better but basic not that tasty. There's loads of places to eat in Brighton so I'd suggest forget the hotel fare.
The location of the Royal Albion is good for being close to pier, the Lanes shops, and where some coaches go from, but don't expect any spectacular views (sea-view rooms may be different).
The hotel is on the corner of Grand Junction Road (the name says it all!) so there was lots of traffic noise. Also there was noise until late at night from people passing by (? hen/stag parties returning after drinking on the pier), and on Saturday night in the early hours there was a lot of music from a nearby club - we were on 5th floor and the noise was enough to wake me up, so I'd imagine other lower floor rooms would be affected by worse noise levels
There seemed to be only 1 lift serving the whole hotel and this was small (not much extra space once occupied by 2 plus luggage)
I also did not like the fact that rooms were not cleaned until late afternoon (returning at 2 pm to find room still needs cleaning, towels, tea etc still need replacing is not my idea of fun)
If your staying for using the confrence rooms these are in the basement so don't expect views outside
Overall I would not stay at this hotel again. It is basic and not good value for money. Once in Brighton we saw a few smaller guest houses with vacancies, and a Premier Travel Inn in central locations that I'm sure would be better value

• Liked — nothing it is expensive but very basic
  • Disliked — noise levels, poor food
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wheeliefab
Essex
Reviewed September 23, 2007

This is the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in. Rooms dirty, sheets full of holes, nothing works, everywhere smells, furniture stained and falling to bits. How this hotel is given a 4 star rating beggars belief. This hotel should be made to close until it gets its act together, they are taking money under false pretences.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)