“The clue is in the name...”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Berkshire, UK
“The clue is in the name...”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our one night stay in The Grand was a delight, from the initial awe as I walked through the main entrance to the friendly staff that ensured every interaction was a breeze. Whilst our room (Double Sea View) was quite small and the floor slightly creaky, this is an old hotel and the Victorian opulence still exudes through the décor and ambience.

A sea view room is a must - there is nothing comparable to waking up to the crashing waves on the shore. We were originally considering staying at the Du Vin further inland and I am so pleased that we opted for the The Grand. Our bed was firm but comfortable and the buffet breakfast was fantastic, both for choice and quality.

There are other hotels in Brighton, but The Grand is THE place to stay if you're chasing the complete experience.

Room Tip: We asked for a high level room less than 24 hours before arrival and were given a room on the 5th (o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Arabic first
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here with two of my friends, from the moment we walked into the reception area we was made to feel very welcome. All the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Perfect location right next to the beach. Breakfast was nice, sitting in the bar at night drinking cocktails watching the world go by was a nice way to spend a couple of hours.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Attended a business conference at this hotel. Arrived at the hotel with five other colleagues asked where is the parking situated and was told that the car park area cordoned off by the fire service as a result of a fire! and was not accessible I was told to use a public car park which was about 600 metres along the road this cost me £40 to park for two nights!
I had parked and hauled my luggage back to the hotel I booked in and was given room key which was not actually a key but a piece odd shaped plastic?
Now I have stayed in a lots of hotels all over the world and have had a few problems with key card not being read by the lock mechanism, but this black plastic key thing was very difficult to use there should have been instructions!
I eventually got into the room and it was probably the smallest double bed room I have ever stayed in. Everything was crammed in not much space at all! The wardrobe was tiny I hung three shirts and a suit and it was full, nowhere to put shoes also no safe in the room.
The breakfast was of a buffet style which was OK if you were 6ft plus as it was situated on a very high circular drinks counter and I had to stand on tip toe to see what was in the dishes!
Most of the dishes on offer were only slightly warm at best, this was because they were lit by little stylish burners same size as a tea lamp candle, instead of using a practical electric hot plate and heat lamp system. I would personally choose another hotel in Brighton in the future. It did not help that halfway through our conference the entire hotel was evacuated outside in the wind and rain for a fire drill!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RT_51
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were treated to a weekend at the hotel by my parents, who also came with us.
If you want to step back in time to when service was exceptional and guests were treated like royalty then this is the place to go.
The rooms were big and lush, with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in!
We ate in the resturant on the Friday evening where the food was amazing - and once again the service was welcoming and nothing was too much trouble.
The bar and seating areas were comfy and felt homely!

Thank you De Vere - and well done !!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Treignac, France
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I've never had a Spa Day so I don't have anything to compare it too, but I had the most relaxing day at the Spa in this hotel. The 3 treatments that I tried were relaxing although seemed to go too fast ! Lucy gave me a lovely Swedish Massage and Salt and Oil scrub that was loosening all the knots that I built up at work.Justine was very nice and the nail colour I chose after my pedicure is still beautiful.On a whim I decided to have a facial from Lisa and I came out feeling very clean and my skin was glowing. All day all the staff (even the man doing a stock check) very helpful and friendly and took great care of me. The relaxation room is just that, comfy chairs, sofas and day beds. Sat there and read my book,helped myself to complimentary tea and they came to find me for the treatments. I also had a glass of bubbly before lunch, the deal I got included wine and lunch. It was a boxed lunch but it was really nice
with fresh ingredients, I was trying to be good but I was jealous when I saw the cream tea option.I was there early in the morning so I had a nice stretch out in the steam room and sauna before my treatments. The decor is modern and tranquil and very clean, lots of towels and the products all smelt wonderful.My first spa day but judging by my experience not my last.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Southamp
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is English at it best 'Downtown Abbey' springs to mind but with a very modern twist, attention to detail ,staff very helpful nothing is to much trouble, our room no 325 wow !! View 100% sea a large airy room and a bed to die for plus a French doors to the balcony ,all new furniture and curtains , decor is clean soft shades of white,grey and and leaves you feeling relaxed and refreshed ,we had dinner in the 'GB1' restaurant and as we are both foodies ,the choice of fresh seafood, local fish dishes were amazing, good quality products at good prices ,you will not be disappointed ,enjoy we did

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hazel R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the grand after my boyfriend booked it as a birthday surprise. We had an amazing stay and I couldn't have been more impressed with the hotel. Our room was beautiful and extremely clean, the one downside was we couldn't get water to come out of the bath taps as they'd been fixed to only let the shower head to work, however we called reception and they sent someone up straight away to fix this. The bar supply a large number of cocktails which are really reasonably priced ! And the staff are very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was included in the price too which was great. Overall we had a wonderful stay and I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2013