“Traditionally English luxury by the sea. Treat yourself!”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Traditionally English luxury by the sea. Treat yourself!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just retuned from a two day stay at The Grand, with friends, and loved every minute. Our arrival was met with a lovely welcome from the doorman and the reception staff. Our room on the sixth floor was luxury itself, with the biggest bed I've ever seen, with crisp white sheets and huge pillows. The bathroom offered big fluffy towels and bathrobes (although these could have been slightly bigger). We also had a television, that did work! To give some balance to other reviews, we were very well looked after and nothing appeared too much for the very friendly staff. We ate in the hotel's restaurant and enjoyed an excellent meal, with the oysters and ribeye steak being particularly good. Te only down side, if there has to be one was the fact that our room had no air conditioning, which in the recent hot weather, would have been appreciated. Our friends were equally impressed with their stay and we all agree that we will visit again. We would all recommend The Grand, it is of course not cheap to stay here but the service and hotel make it well worth every penny. Well done The Grand.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Arabic first
surrey
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was meant to be our special weekend away but it was a great dissapointment, it started with no parking available and having to park at an NCP multi storey carpark and carry your cases to the hotel. The room allocated was dark and dismal with no air conditioning (even though they have just completed a multi million pound refurbishment )on the hottest weekend in seven years, no reasonable lighting due to the dull energy saving bulbs and windows that could not be opened and even if they could they had a view of a brick wall. When questioned about the AC we were given various different excuses ranging from (none of the rooms having ac to we had to disconnect it due to a fire !) this was untrue because we saw the units in other rooms and it was also working in the dining room. They offered a fan and a unit that you put ice into but it was useless as it was not efficent enough to cope with the temperatures. When extra milk for tea was requested (twice )it failed to arrive. How can establishment of this standing think that two pots of long life milk is sufficient cannot be comprehended, when this was relayed to the reception staff they treat you with contempt. At breakfast the self service option was empty of food and had to be requested several times, the toaster didn't toast !! need I say more .. on the second mornig we decided to order from the kitchen when it arrived it was inedible and had to be sent back....the final straw on check out was when they tried to charge me for breakfast in bed because I had requested some extra milk for my tea!!!

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms do not have natural daylight or air conditioning
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank graham77surrey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Great business stay. Right in front of the beach. Very comfortable and clean room. Superb meeting rooms, great bar and restaurant overlooking the sea.
The food on offer was good, but could have been better and more varied, but this was possibly due to the amount of people attending the conference. Did not have a chance to try the a la carté menu, but I will go back to try

• Stayed July 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We went down to Brighton for just one night, and picked up a room at the Grand for less than we thought. It was one of the recently refurbished ones and is was just perfect: modern but tasteful, well appointed, and quiet. The staff throughout the hotel were really welcoming and went out of their way to help us on the couple of requests we made. And in the morning, the breakfast was must fantastic. Just great.

Room Tip: As with any hotel - be very clear what you expect when you book!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very lovely and friendly staff don't make up for the extreme overpricing of this hotel.

I paid £219 for a small no view room with no air conditioning (probably not normally a problem) and a chipped bath - no minibar or fridge to keep the bottled water (provided) cold; kettle needed hunting down & plugging in carefully with its miniature 7 inch flex. Room service has no half bottle of wine option; quite noisy at back of hotel - someone else's aircon?; very tacky toiletries & no conditioner provided; only 2 tissues in box provided; breakfast only served from 8 - and no option for room only tariff; only heavy duvet - no sheet even in hot summer; in-room breakfast (continental only before 7.30) had cold toast but no butter & promised complimentary paper didn't materialise. For a 3 star hotel charging £90 I would have been satisfied but not this hotel at this price- good service is more than nice people.

Good points: nice staff; fantastic ceilings & banisters & general period finery; Very fast bath filling - that's it

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Eleanor H
Scotland
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We booked a budget room with breakfast, taking into account what we paid we were satisfied with our stay. However, our room was not ready until after 4pm...and we were the lucky ones. The late availability of room seems to be the norm. All 4 evenings were were in the hotel we heard many vociferous complaints about guests not getting into their rooms 'till very late - 5.45 on one occasion.

Breakfast was good, but queuing is the norm during busy times, personally I do not find queuing for breakfast at a top hotel acceptable, Breakfast is served between 7-10 am , yet when there was no prepared fruit at 9.30 I was informed it was finished for the day , I complained and was told if I selected a fruit from the display the chef would prepare it - there were some apples and oranges! Further complaint led to a new bowl of fruit being served - with melon, grapefruit, oranges, grapes etc - why wait 'till a fuss is created to serve up what is advertised and clearly available?

Ladies downstairs toilets - need a complete revamp. they are shabby , with broken toilet seats.

Our room had a view of a red brick wall - see photo - however overall a reasonable stay at a good price, but don't think if you pay more you will get better , you won't.

Room Tip: A good priced break if you book one of the deals , but don't pay the full price! Many full price...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FalkirkBairn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I are now in our late eighties and after finally accepting that overseas travel was now simply too much hassle, decided to confine our holiday break this year to the British South Coast and, for various reasons, chose the Grand Hotel.

We'd booked online for 7 nights and first impressions were excellent, our taxi being greeted by friendly and helpful outside staff who speedily took care of our baggage

No problems either at the well staffed reception desks who allocated room 217 on the 2nd floor, one of the newly styled Chambre Unique rooms that had been freshly re-furbished and where I was relieved to see the promised balcony.

Chambre Unique ?, the very name should have warned us, because unique it certainly was, but, regrettably, for the wrong reasons.

For starters, the room reeked of fresh paint and we were obliged to throw open the windows before we could even think of unpacking.

I had got as far as decanting my packed underwear and was looking for a place to store it when I realised, for the first time, that there was not a single drawer to be seen anywhere in the room.

That's right.... not a single set of drawers anywhere in the room, although there was one cupboard completely devoted to tea making equipment. There was also a desk holding expensive looking coffee making equipment, an obvious place to have a drawer, one would have thought, but again, no drawers.

My ever practical wife resolved the matter by simply leaving her suitcase half unpacked during our week's stay but the situation rankled and left me strongly questioning what the De Vere group considered was good design in a hotel bedroom.

I started to look around,,,,,things got progressively worse.

The double door wardrobe, obviously designed to hold clothing, had the requisite ironing board and iron but only one shelf set about two metres high to preclude one from using that for storing clothes. No drawers here either and the few hangers offered no relief.

I then studied the bedside tables, or to be more precise the bedside table, because I now realised that only one side of the double bed had a table, albeit drawer free. The other side had no bedside table other than the aforesaid table top, currently completely taken up with a phone and coffee making equipment.

I looked for the promised safe.

Clearly advertised in the internet brochure and a normal and expected piece of hotel furniture for any worldly traveler in even a 3 Star hotel, here at the 4 Star Grand there was no safe in the room.

By now I had had enough so I tried phoning reception but the phone, no surprises here, didn't work and all I got was a perpetual squawk so I continued my examination of the room's facilities.

Did the TV at least work ? ..... Silly me !, this was a Chambre Unique room, anything was possible and therefore the TV failed to respond to either of the remotes, optimistically provided.by the management.

By this time I had given up completely and strode downstairs to reception where I was told that the Housekeeper would be up immediately to attend to our complaints.

Within a few minutes both the Housekeeper and a Guest Relations Assistant had arrived at our room and to be fair, a serious attempt was made to restore sanity to what had clearly become a nonsensical situation.

All the problems, we were told, were down to the recent refurbishment and they speedily admitted that the present situation was completely unacceptable.

They discussed, between themselves, various options including a change of room but then confirmed that every other room was taken. The safe, they said, would be seen to immediately and indeed this, to my astonishment, was installed within half an hour and professionally bolted to the floor.

The phone ? Yes, they tried it and conceded it was was faulty but in the meantime they gave me numbers which I could dial to reach either reception or housekeeping.

As a token, one single drawer was also immediately provided by means of a hastily acquired ancient bedside table that and this was accepted by us purely as a token to show that we acknowledged management were at least attempting to improve matters. However, because of the already sited coffee table it was not possible for this new unit to serve as a bedside unit but at least we now had one actual drawer in the room !

Within minutes someone else was setting the TV so that it could be used although, jumping ahead in our stay, it's over complicated set-up was always a pain in the neck and eventually I got fed up with repeated calling the mechanic.

Later in the day we also realised there were also only only two lamps in the room, both bedside, but a subsequent call by me to housekeeping produced a table lamp so that we could at least read in the evening.

The fridge, kindly provided by the management to keep the complimentary water cold, failed miserably to do so but it was not until the third day of our stay that a member of the staff revealed that the fridge had never been plugged in because it had the wrong type of pin ! He then offered us the option of Fridge or TV !.

When I politely suggested that an extension to the nearest point would surely do the job without denying us use of the TV he went off looking for this very item but as a further 24 hours was to pass without any results I once again contacted the Guest Relations Assistant.

This was the most effective phone call of all. because it resulted in a visit by Chris, the Grand's first class, no nonsense, maintainance manager and within ten minutes we had a working fridge and, as the weather was heating up and the room lacked air-conditioning, a most welcome electric fan.

So much for the cons, what about the pros ?

The staff, at all levels, were always friendly and helpful to a fault and the food and service at both restaurants and the breakfast room was first class. I partucularly liked the breakfast service where you could help yourself to the ample buffet but also ask your server to get you special cooked items.

With the exception of the initial problems involving the bedroom, every further query we raised was quickly and cheerfully resolved.

So....Any other quibbles ?

As many other reviewers have already pointed out, the breakfast buffet table, which also served as a bar during the evening, was set ridiculously high so that my wife and I suggest anyone under six foot, would have had difficulty in serving themselves safely from the well stocked trays.

The solid Victorian balcony in our room offered splendid sea views but because of the absence of some simple light chairs the balcony was rarely used during our stay.

Finally, having lambasted the Grand for it's pantheon of faults I must also say, ase others have already done, that everyone from senior staff down to junior porters were always cheerful and helpful. A good example was when we finished our week's break and the pre-booked hire car failed to materialise. It was the one of the Grand's concierges who came to the rescue and speedily found us a replacement

The twenty dollar question, would I book the Grand again ?

Happily, but only if I were to receive written confirmation that Chris, the maintainence manager was still there to sort out any problems !

Despite all my comments and to be scrupulously fair, she who must be obeyed says that she just loved the Grand !

Ps
Forgot to mention that in March 1943 I was a young wireless operator serving in the 112th Light Anti-Aircraft Rgt and my unit was responsible for protecting the Brighton & Hove coastline against the Luftwaffe Tip & Run Raiders. This protection including the Grand Hotel building !

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple