“Great Location and Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
United Kingdom
“Great Location and Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed for a Friday night late June 2013 as we were going to a concert at the Brighton Centre next door.

Doormen and reception staff were all very friendly and helpful. We had arrived too early to check in to our room and we knew that but they still went through all the procedure so all we had to do after lunch was to pick up the key.

Room was standard but very good. Nice large room, very comfortable bed, sky TV, excellent bath/shower. Mini bar fridge was unstocked except for two complimentary bottles of water which suited us fine.

Breakfast on Saturday was not good at all. There were so many people trying to get breakfast that we had to sit in the huge room at the back making the trek for food long ! Wait staff were not properly organised so tea/coffee and the cooked to order food took an age to arrive. The hotel really must sort out its dining room arrangements at breakfast !!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,114)
  • Arabic first
Wiltshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here, during a weekend away. i felt quite excited to stay here as its such a famous building and always looks so impressive.
The actually building its self is lovely and feels very big glamourous. unfortunately the room we had was not so glamorous. the decor was horrid .A couple of switches weren't working. everything looked very used and well, old.
I'd say the place just needs some major updating.
the bed was very comfortable though, and the room was actually a good size.
the bathroom wasn't too nice though. the bath/shower was actually built in front of the clear glass window so you either stood naked for all too see or soaked the net curtains with the shower head lol bit odd

the front desk staff were nice enough but one of the doormen was rather snooty an quite rude to us. when we walked in wearing, admittedly, scruffy jeans an t shirts he said "You must be staying at The Hilton an pointed us down the road"

best part of the stay was breakfast, the dining area was lovely and the food was fantastic, consisting of a very large buffet AND a menu of options all included in our bill.

it wasn't a bad stay but i wouldn't stay here again. However i will definitely return for lunch e.t.c.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank totallytony
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed 2 nights, first was spent in an inland room which was small but very comfortable if a little dark. Upgraded to a sea view for the second night organised by the very friendly and efficient Sam on reception, it was beautiful with great views and lovely decor. Our stay was great from start to finish, the staff were attentive, the views lovely, would love to visit again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Flintstones81
Letchworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for the first time in January. The hotel was in the middle of renovation therefore the room was outdated although the service etc could not have been better.

We went back there last weekend(21st June) as it was our anniversary. What a transformation. We had a deluxe sea view room and the wow factor was certainly obvious. Up to date furniture and modern décor. Only one minor fault no safe in the room.

We had dinner in the new restaurant. Unlike the January visit the food was fantastic. Certainly had upgraded there. Plenty to choose from and the front of house staff were very knowledgeable regarding the dishes ,attentive and pleasant.

Breakfast was up to standard as well although I felt that the breakfast bar was a little too high for anyone, like myself, is of short statue(5ft 2"). Could not see what was in the tureens.

The staff were very attentive and friendly.

For those who want a once in a lifetime experience of a high class hotel in Brighton I would recommend this very highly. Sure it is expensive but the overall experience is worth it(believe me I'm a regular visitor to Brighton and have stayed in many of hotels there).

2 Thank jools323
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

We booked 2 twin rooms on a special offer for 4 women friends to celebrate all turning 50. Our initial rooms were lovely, but one had a central heating duct outside that emitted a constant low drone so we asked if we could move. Got upgraded to a sea view on the 4th floor, and had all our luggage transferred while we went off to the Spa. Reception staff were amazingly cheerful and accommodating. When we mentioned it was our birthdays, we were sent complimentary bottles of wine to each room.
We had pre-booked a spa package of treatment, lunch and bubbles. There are no wet facilities; steam room and sauna only. However, the treatments were blissful, lunch was delicious, and we somehow whiled away nearly 6 hours without noticing. Plus we got complimentary cake as....it was our birthdays! The therapists were incredibly skilled, smiling and professional. Nothing was too much trouble. The Relaxation Lounge had subdued lighting and plenty of comfy chaise longues and sofas to loll about on (and have a little snooze). We felt absolutely pampered and cosseted; many thanks to all the staff for a wonderful day.
Had great French Martinis in the bar before heading into town for dinner.
The bed was superbly comfortable. My breakfast of Eggs Benedict with Bacon was delicious, as were the freshly made pastries. And the OJ was freshly squeezed.
Every member of staff was wonderfully solicitous and made us all feel like princesses for the weekend.
Congratulations to all for the excellent service and hospitality.

• Stayed June 2013
Brentwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

It is more than ten years since I stayed at the Grand and while the communal areas are still as stylishly opulent and the staff as smart friendly and efficient as ever there is something missing in the spirit of the hotel. The superior sea-view room was large and well equipped, absolutely no complaints there. Little things hinted that the management at the Grand were on a concerted round of penny-pinching. Upon checking in we were advised that there would be a £2.50 charge if we chose to settle our sundry items by credit card instead of cash or debit card. Breakfast was when the compromises to economy made themselves most evident. A generic De Vere Hotels breakfast menu reminding us that the Grand sits it a portfolio of like hotels and will serve the same breakfast across the group. Not too sure of the provenance of some of the ingredients but the sliced bread in see through clear blue plastic wrappers suggested a quick trolley dash round the cash and carry was the chef's pre-breakfast exercise. The breakfast was served in the beautifully appointed restaurant area on bare tables with the cheapest of salt and pepper pots. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember linen table-cloths and solid metal cruets, or maybe the grandness of the breakfast area was subliminally suggested the need for a more up market approach. The quality of the breakfast ingredients was not the best although it was all well presented. the hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment but we were warned about this and it was well managed and did not affect our stay. I would say that the suggested completion date of late summer is optimistic.

The Grand has the feeling of a once great institution trying to keep up appearances on a budget. The faded street sign outside sums up the hotel.

Let's hope the new owners breathe new life into the hotel and invest in the guests because there is a ready market for all that the Grand used to represent.

1 Thank simonalcock
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Have wanted to stay here forever, but somehow got distracted by offers on other places. This time I stuck to my guns and booked myself a single room on a budget deal. They gave me a nicely refurbished double: immaculate and smelling of fresh paint. It would have been too pokey for two with no room for one easy chair let alone two. For just me it was more than fine. Had I been looking for something horribly faulty like a moldy shower curtain to photograph, I would not have found it in this room and all that follows in my review is highly picky. Apart from being seriously gutted about the lack of pool and treatment charge for the spa with no pool, I was generally satisfied given the price I paid. About two hundred and fifty or so pounds for 2 nights. An inland room, the windows were all frosted so I had to open them the two inches allowed to guess what the weather was like. I couldn't see the sky. Had I had spent longer than a couple of nights there I might have succumbed to cabin fever. It had a pretty large but chilly bathroom - nice bath and shower attachment plus an overhead shower, clean shower curtain - no heated towel rail and no magnified mirror. A narrow unbranded range of not especially great smelling toiletries were provided, comprising shampoo, body wash and body lotion. No hair conditioner, sewing kit, shoe wipes or other delights. There were cotton balls and buds in a decco style glass jar. The soap went a bit clammy so probably not triple milled. Not much room to put your cosmetic stuff apart from the window sill which got very wet being within the shower area. Lots of wardrobe space in the main room but only a couple of drawers. A fridge contained only one each of small complementary fizzy and still bottles of water - no minibar which wasn't a loss. A kettle was provided with a very meager selection of tea, coffees, four long life milk capsules and two packets of shortbread containing two fingers each. Just one hot chocolate sachet and one Earl Grey, several English breakfasts,instant Nescafe, and limited herbals. The towels were top quality and so was a lovely thick toweling bath robe. The face cloth looked a bit stained. The towels and bed linen were not replaced during my 2 night stay, neither was the mint tea. I had to phone down for the missing slippers and to get them to unlock the safe in which I entrapped my valuables because, as the charming eastern European chap explained, the instructions, which remained in place, were for the old safe. The first night I stayed was Saturday and the room fairly vibrated in the small hours with music from goodness knows where. There was a good deal of door slamming from other guests and chavvy shouting. Sunday night was far quieter. Breakfast was chaotic on both mornings. The tables for two were far too close together and you had to limbo to get in and out to the buffet. Anyone over a size 14 wouldn't stand a chance. I may have been installed in the cheaper seating area. My poached eggs on the first morning were fantastic. On the second morning they might have been good but they never arrived despite a reminder to the very sweet but scatty waitress who was so mortified that I almost decided to reinstate the inevitably forfeited tip. On the whole the service was very good. The best bit was on arrival, when the doorman did the magic trick of relieving me of my case for it to reappear on arrival in my room. I am generally a tipper and I regret a missed the opportunity to reward him. Which may be that when I departed nobody offered to call me a taxi....never mind. I had a nice time but I won't be going back. It just isn't quite up to the standard of other 5 star hotels in which I normally stay with husband.

Room Tip: Best if you don't care for a pool and can afford a sea view.