“Not quite so Grand”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Visited Brighton and stayed at the Grand for two nights in April. The staircase is beautiful. However, we felt the entire hotel was not as we had expected. Our room was spacious and the bed comfortable, but the decor, cleanliness, facilities and ambience were certainly not Grand. Most staff members were polite, two very pleasant but some so rude! The catering staff were not "on the ball" some had difficulty with the English language. Breakfast time on the first morning was eye opening to us and other guests, Grand it was not!

Some Porters and staff could do with a make over, lessons in good manners and invest in shoe polish! The guest comes first? Alien to some. In fact chatting to other guests we agreed there was a "Fawlty Tower" feel to the place at times. Funny, if we'd all paid relative costs.

Attempts have been made by the hotel to telephone us but unsuccessfully. We've been given telephone numbers to ring them???!!!!

Room Tip: View the room first?
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am so sorry to see that you encountered a number of issues during your stay with us.

I hope that these issues have now been resolved, however if I can be of any further assistance please contact me via the TripAdvisor messaging facility and I will of course be more than happy to investigate further.

There are newer reviews for The Grand Brighton

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My jaw hit the ground when I walked into the brand new spa at the Grand and was taken into the 'relaxation lounge'. I felt like I had been transported to Dubai and 5* doesn't do it justice. The whole place ooozes of opulence and luxury and it is clear the attention to detail which has gone into building the spa. I had a 'Lift and Firm' ESPA facial with Amanda which was by far the BEST facial I have ever experienced. The rooms are beautifully done out and the music drifting through the speakers again made me feel I was a celebrity in Dubai! Amanda talked me through the facial and proceeded to massage away my face for 90 minutes, using a UV light to identify my problem areas. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Afterwards I was taken back into the relaxation lounge to enjoy a cup of tea and just relax until I was ready to go out and face the world again. First class spa and first class service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent trip to our brand new Spa!

Genevieve and her team have worked exceptionally hard to get the Spa launched, and I know they will be thrilled to hear your comments - especially Amanda.

Thanks once again and I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I booked this hotel as a 3rd year anniversary treat for my boyfriend and I. It is an iconic building and so seemed the obvious choice for a night in Brighton. Lovely atmosphere, so many customers milling around the bar and foyer. The staircase and glass rooflight are breathtaking and the piano player in the foyer just added to the atmosphere. You can really imagine that back in it's day, this hotel would have been even better (amazing). There are tell tale signs of wear and tear, I feel that the maintainance of the building and rooms could have been better. For instance, the sink in our room drained extremely slowly - there must have been a blockage. Had we been staying for more than 1 night then I would have reported this. Also, the once sumptuous velvet curtains in our room now had patches of damp - maybe the reason why our room was so dark.

Our room did not have a sea view (which I knew) and I got a deal on a website for the room, however the rack rate price for the room was almost £400 - I would not have been happy if I had paid the full price - even if there were lovely bathrobes! The weekend we stayed, the spa was out of action, so not even that to buffer the pricetag. Finally, the breakfast room was lovely and light and airy and HUGE. Unfortunately, so was the queue of people waiting for the buffet breakfast which was served via hotplates, which were placed on a very high bar and which were small - therefore the contents of the hotplates ran out fast. Therefore, when you're 5 feet and 2 inches like me, it is not really ideal to have to reach up to your eye level to choose your food and secondly it is rather irritating to reach each hotplate to find it empty and have to wait for a refill (with a huge queue of guests waiting for food too). Just slight things that I would have imagined a hotel of this calibre to have thought about, and at the price of the rooms a guest would expect, especially when the sea view rooms cost even more.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Our building is indeed beautidul and our Maintenance team work extremely hard to keep it in as prisitne condition as possible - however I will be sure to address the points you raised with them directly.

I am sorry that you didnt get to enjoy the Spa on your visit - however it is now open, and with its beautiful treatment rooms, nail bars, thermal suite and relaxation area I can guarantee you it is worth a visit!

Thanks once agan for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We did not stay at the Grand but visited the cocktail bar in the evening for a few drinks after our meal. The cocktails were delicious and the senior bar tender looked after us very well. Worth a visit to see the hotel and enjoy the atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to us.

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit to the Victoria Lounge and Bar. The bar was refurbished in November 2012 and since then it has become the place to be seen! We are constantly changing and updating our cocktail menu, so be sure to come back soon to check out the new additions!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night after booking a sea view room online. The room we were give originally was lovely however the doors and windows couldn't be opened because that part of the building was covered in scaffolding. The windows were filthy and we couldn't see the sea! I spoke to reception who after searching gave me another room which was better than the first. A beautiful hotel, amazing breakfast and Brighton is beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us, and that my team were able to deal with your requests in such a professional and speedy manner.

I will be sure to pass on your compliments to my Breakfast team, who work so hard to provide all of our guests with the perfect start to their day.

I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is as it name suggests Grand! From the moment we entered we were made to feel welcome. We stayed for two nights in a modernised rear room, and were very pleased with the cleanliness and facilities of the room. Breakfast was good and one night we dined in the restaurant which was excellent. The position is excellent for beach and shops.
We shall be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grand on TripAdvisor.

i am so truly pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay here with us, and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to all my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel soon,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Holiday weekend trip with some friends which we extended at the last minute and were lucky to get the last two available rooms.
Decor in main areas wonderfully sumptuous , in our rooms a wee bit dated but perfectly clean. No view unfortunately but it was all that was left and now we know why.
Breakfast in the morning was very good with plenty of choice, even fresh honey on the comb. Poached eggs were perfectly made and would rival any 5* restaurant.
Seafood restaurant had a good menu reasonably priced but unfortunately fully booked.
Staff couldn't have been friendlier and efficient.
On the whole a lovely end to a great weekend. Just sorry we hadn't been able to spend the full weekend there.

Room Tip: Request a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking your time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor follwoing your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our bedroom refurbishment programme is veery nearly completed and so soon all of our bedrooms will be beautifully refurbished to a high standard.

I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the near future; our best room prices are always on the De Vere website. We are also happy to take restaurant bookings well in advance, to guarantee you a spot!

General Manager0