“Superb Weekend”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Langley
“Superb Weekend”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at the Grand, Brighton this weekend just gone. It's been refurbished since our last visit and we cannot fault the decor now. Last time we stayed it was looking a bit run down/ tired - not any more !! Had a twin sea-view room (624) which was all decked out with pale grey walls and beige-ish carpets. En suite is all white tiles, chrome and black marble. Nice smellies supplied too. Looks really nice. Beds were really comfortable with what I assume are memory foam toppers on them. Good selection of pillows too. I would however, point out that the room doesn't appear to be air conditioned and only 1 of the windows actually opens (only about 6 inches). The others have been sealed shut for health and safety reasons, I guess. This room would therefore have the potential to get really hot in the summer. Also, with this room being right on the seafront AND main road, it gets quite noisy with the window open.

Cannot fault the service in either the bar or reception and the concierge was sooooo helpful. All in all, a great place to stay and I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your reciew on TripAdvisor. It is always great to hear such positive comments.

I will be sure to pass on your feedback to all of my hardowrking team, especially the Bar, Reception and Lounge team, who all work so hard to deliver great service to every guest.

Andrew Mosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

It is over a year since we last visited The Grand Hotel in Brighton but oh what a difference. The Grand has always been the gold standard of hotel service for me. As a professional traveller it isn't often that a hotel lives up to it's promise and your expectations. In the case of The Grand they have taken 'Perfect' and just made that even better. Newly decorated with all refurbished rooms this is how hospitality should be. The new dining room with it's Oyster Bar and lovely conservatory make this an elegant and enjoyable space. Our dinner was nothing short of superb. Add to this a very reasonable wine list offering quality wines and you have the perfect evening. Our room was a delight, well decorated with everything you could need and a new flat screen tv. However, what sets The Grand above the rest is the fact that every single mermber of staff treated us as welcome visitors with courtesy, kindness and respect. The level of service was exceptional by any standard. I am delighted to also report that the De Vere Hotels marketing department are still beavering away creating seasonal Special Offers that enable us all to continue to sample this level of perfection at a very affordable price. Well done the entire Grand Hotel team!

Room Tip: Ask for the De Luxe seaview rooms. They cost a little more but are always worth it
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your recent review of The Grand.

My entire team work tirelessly all year round to provide our guests with great experiences such as yous, and it is so wonderful to se their efforts havent gone unnoticed. I will be sure to pass your comments onto all my team.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the near future,

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Have been coming to the Grand for many years but this time the best ever! First impressions - a very evident professional management team. Wonderful deluxe sea view room with a great welcome from the very efficient, friendly staff. From looking a little faded the rooms have been refurbished in great style, cool and minimalist, with great bathrooms. All this withoujt losing the grandeur of the hotel. Lunched in the new fish restaurant, GB1, again, very cool and sophisticated. The food was first class and amazing value, although service a little slow, this was put this down to teething prolblems. And, of course, no stay at the Grand is complete without afternoon tea in the conservatory - perfect, A most enjoyable three day break and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Must be a sea view room and, personally, I think the higher the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your recent reivew of The Grand on TripAdvisor, and I am so pleased you had such a wonderful birthday.

I will be sure to pass on your feedback to my team, and let them know what their hardwork is appreciated by our guests.

Many thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the near future,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Brighton for one night in April 2013 in one of their newly refurbished twin rooms (room 524) on the hotel front with fantastic sea views. We chose the Grand for its close proximity to the beach and it's sea views, as well as going on it's renowned reputation. We were not disappointed.

On arrival we were greeted by the doorman who carried our bags to reception, where we were promptly checked in by the helpful and friendly reception staff. The lobby was impressive and welcoming and we were already pleased with our choice of hotel.

Our room was on the 5th floor and we had no trouble finding it, although we were momentarily distracted by the very impressive grand staircase. As impressive as the staircase was, we were very glad of the lift.

Firstly, the view, it really doesn't get any better, our room didn't have a balcony as some rooms on the front of the hotel do, but that didn't matter to us, we had a bay window which gave panoramic views of the beach, including the pier. We stayed on a very hot sunny day so were glad to be able to open the window, as there was no air-conditioning in the room. Even on the 5th floor you could hear the busy road outside but when the window was closed the double glazing rendered that pretty well.

As our room was newly refurbished everything was brand new, immaculate, bright and spotlessly clean, all finished to a high standard. It had everything we needed, complimentary tea & coffee making facilities with a good range of tea's, a small fridge, 2 bathrobes, iron & ironing board and a powerful hairdryer. The 42" flatscreen HD TV was very easy to operate and had all the channels, with a simple to use remote control.

The twin beds were very comfortable, with Egyptian cotton bedding, plenty of pillows and the light duvet was perfect for such a warm night. An excellent nights sleep was had by both of us.

The bathroom was like the rest of the room, spotlessly clean and had all the essentials, bath/shower gel, shampoo and body lotion, as well as soap, cotton buds and a shower cap. Towels were in abundance, with a heated towel rail if required. The bathrobes were also hanging in the wardrobe if they were needed. We had wanted a separate walk in shower but I had contacted the hotel in advance of our stay and was told none of the twin rooms had walk in showers, so we were expecting the shower to be over the bath, which it was. That was the only downside to the bathroom but was expected and not a big issue at all as we were only staying one night.

In the evening we had dinner in the GB1 restaurant, the food was lovely, the service was excellent and the prices were reasonable, all in a relaxed atmosphere with great views of the sea front (before it got dark).

In the morning we had breakfast in the same restaurant as dinner, I'm not a great breakfast eater but it was inclusive in the room price so we thought we'd make the most of it and what can I say -
WOW! It truly was fantastic, a self service buffet, Grand style, the quantity and variety was exceptional. Whether you wanted a full monty cooked breakfast (cooked to perfection) or just a light continental breakfast you could eat as much as you were physically able to eat! The service was equally as good as the night before, even at a busy time. We couldn't fault the breakfast, it really was first class!

After breakfast it was time for a quick and efficient check out and we really didn't want to leave, we enjoyed our stay at the Grand so much! A massive thank you to all the staff who made our stay so wonderful, we cant wait to return!

Room Tip: If possible spend a little more and get a room on the front with the sea views, it really is worth t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of The Grand on TripAdvisor.

It is always such a pleasure to hear feedback as positive as yours, and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to my team personally.

Headcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed one night when we were invited for a dinner dance. The hotel is very swish and we were made very welcome.
The hotel room/food/entertainment/drink was free free free as someone else paid! We had a nice room and although probably a pretty run of the mill room it was pretty big and very comfortable.
The quality of the food was brilliant - normally with dinner dances the food can be cold/over cooked etc etc but this was well presented, well cooked and lovely. Breakfast was good too.
The staff were excellent, we were taking to our room and our car taken to car park by the valet parking guys.
We definitely would come back again!

Room Tip: We were at the back, the air conditioning units were round the back and it was a bit noisy but we st...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for passing on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit with us, and that you enjoyed the Dinner Dance. I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all my team.

Swindon
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there last night attending a function in their great hall...

The function - Have to say this was excellent, the food was great and waiting staff very good.

The room - Dirty windows, rotting sills, lights not working in the bathroom but the beds were comfortable and the shower/bath were good.

Breakfast - Terrible, slow service, everything running out, waiting for ages in line, waiting for food to be replenished. Don't get me wrong the food was good but it was not a pleasant experience, we left feeling very frustrated, not what you would expect from a prestigious hotel like the Grand.

The whole building needs a facelift, it looked very dirty and had lots of rotting wood, frayed carpets up the stairwell that are actually a trip hazard.

My advice, don't look too closely (like me) its still 'The Grand' and has lots of prestige, but for over £150 for a room I definately expect better....

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChalkieGreen
Thank you for passing on your comments about The Grand via TripAdvisor.

While I am pleased to see you enjoyed the function you attended, I am sorry to see that you experienced a number of issues during your stay with us. I will be sure to address these with the Breakfast and Maintenance teams directly.

The refurbishment project is nearly complete, and we shortly will be left with every bedroom having been refurbished, as well as a new luxury Spa and seafood restaurant, GB1.

Upton upon Severn
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went here with my wife for a special treat one weekend as we had worked very hard for far too long without a break. It was exactly what we were looking for and what we expected, top class service from a top class hotel, we were able to re-charge our batteries without any stress.
It is steeped in history and as soon as you walk in and are confronted with the lobby with it's fantastic staircase you are won over. We had a room with a sea view which was quite high up so we were not disturbed by the traffic. The hotel is under going a total refurb and when it is finished it will be back to it's former glory, as a previous poster suggested ask for a room that has already been done!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrumB
Thank you so much for asking the time to update TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at He Grand.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you chose to stay in The Grand. My team work exceptionally hard to ensure all of our guests feel relaxed and welcomed during their stay in the hotel, and with the recent opening of our new luxury day Spa we now have even more to offer our guests looking for a bit of relaxation!