“Traditional luxury”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed April 4, 2013

visited for a few days in the easter holidays with my 13 year old daughter and loved it. The refurbishments have retained the lovely old fashioned english luxury with all the expectations of a modern top class hotel. The staff throughout the hotel were so friendly and incredibly helpful. We sat at the oyster bar for dinner and had an amazing meal. We both agreed that the breakfast was one of the best in a hotel we have had !!!! loved everything !!!!

AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased to see that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit so much, and i will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to my hardworking team.

I look forward to welcoming you both into the hotel in the near future,

Andrew Mosley

Write a ReviewReviews (8,290)

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am a lover of those ‘grand old lady’ hotels – hotels from days gone by with some history in their story. And so, going to a concert at the Brighton Dome, I couldn’t resist staying at the Grand, built in 1864 and scene of the infamous IRA bomb attempt to assassinate Margaret Thatcher. I expect to pay more for staying at these hotels but I was pleasantly surprised that the room rates were reasonable for a hotel of this standard.
The hotel façade, directly facing the sea, is breathtakingly beautiful and more so at night when it is illuminated. The lounge and bar adjoining the lobby were very popular, especially when afternoon tea is served to the accompaniment of an accomplished pianist. There is a magnificent ‘square spiral’ staircase extending from the lobby floor to the glass dome on the roof.
I had read on a Tripadvisor review that the hotel rooms were being refurbished and when I booked, I requested a refurbished room, which I was allocated. The room was excellent, large and airy and was tastefully decorated and furnished; the bed was very comfortable and I enjoyed a peaceful night’s sleep. The ensuite was spacious and well appointed and had a wonderful shower.
Breakfast, included in the price, had a la carte and a buffet with an extensive array of items, all of which were constantly refreshed. The bar stayed open late and was well stocked, including a cocktail menu which seemed to be very popular.
Throughout my stay, the service and attention was first-class and every member of staff was very friendly, efficient and helpful and contributed to my enjoyment of my stay in this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for passing on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit to us so much, and I will be delighted to pass your comments onto my team, who work so hard to make all of our guests as comfortable and welcome as possible.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights got a great deal from Travel Zoo £105 for 2 people B&B. We stayed in room 238 which was very clean and nicely decorated we could see the sea from our window the room was nice and warm as it was very cold when we stayed there. The breakfast was great so much choice and the staff were very friendly and made us very wecome would love to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to us here at The Grand.

It is always such a pleasure to read comments such as yours, and I will be delighted to pas ps your kind words onto my hardworking team.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

It's difficult to find anything wrong with our stay at The Grand, if I had to make one negative comment it would be the heat in the rooms and as we were there in a very chilly March it was bearable however I dread to think what it would be like mid-summer. Our rooms had been refurbished and they were airy and bright, 5th floor and perfectly placed for the wonderful sea view. The staff could not do enough for us and I must give particular mention here to Dave Clark who helped us unload our bags and sort the car out, what a friendly and charming man he was, Sarah, Victoria Lounge Supervisor was simply a star who looked after us 100% with a smile. Cedric at the Bar who looked after us and Tamara at Reception who was extremely helpful and took time to make sure I had all the info I needed.

All in all a fantastic stay and I would highly recommend The Grand for it's high standards that made our break so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Room 523 was a great double with sea view but really airy and spacious and good windows overlooking...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank K A

However I will be sure to address the issues regarding the heating with my Maintenance team directly, and I am truly sorry that this affected your stay.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

For the very reasonable price we paid we had measured expectations and were only really looking for somewhere to put our heads down after a night out in Brighton. The Grand exceded our expectations.The Grand has been undergoing refurbishments and I think some work was still continuing. We found the hotel perfectly adequate and the service was very good indeed. We had a couple of drinks in the bar and the service was friendly and efficient. The room, one of the smaller ones, was adequate and well appointed. A minibar might have generated the hotel a few extra ££s but there was a fridge with complimentary water.

I slept well although I did note there was a little bit of 'boiler noise' outside of RM 209 but it did not effect our stay. I knew there would be no view from the rear but I did not expect one. Seaview rooms are priced accordingly and sell out first.

Breakfast was wonderful but tables could have been cleared a little faster to avoid short queues at peak times. The range of food and quality was excellent. The Concierge was very helpful on checkout, holding our bags while we ventured out for a walk. All in all a very pleasant stay and I would certainly stay again.

With a bit more refurb and a little more attention to detail in the lobby near the main doors (that slightly wasted space on either side up the steps), a, gift shop perhaps ?? I think the Grand will go from strength to strength.

Room Tip: There are very good value rooms available through a variety of offers but these tend to be at the re...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to us, and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my team, especially my Lounge team who work so hard to provide all of our guests with great drinks service.

However I am disappointed to note your comments regarding the noise outside your room, and will be sure to discuss this issue with my maintenance team.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

An old traditional hotel but with excellent service by all staff and lovely food. During our brief stay we didn't find a single member of the team who didn't smile and show a genuine desire to please.

Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My experience at the Grand Hotel was mixed. The Grand clearly has history and has a lovely interior. And all the staff are very friendly and competent. However, during a recent stay building works caused issues. For example, there was a horrible smell in the hotel for my entire stay. Also, the noise during the day could be heard all over the hotel. And breakfast was relocated to a different room which did not have the same feel as the normal restaurant. Plus the fact that many facilities were unavailable. However, I do accept that there will never be a good time for a hotel to carry out maintenance works and that they have to be done.

On the other hand ......... breakfast was good quality, with a lot to choose from. The bar is well run and the cocktail was very nice. As previously stated the staff are very helpful and the concierge are always eager to help. Nothing seemed too much trouble. The bathroom was very nice however I did not get on well with the bed I'm afraid.

I have stayed on more than one occasion and would come again, but once all the works are complete.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to us, and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my team, especially my Lounge team who work so hard to provide all of our guests with great drinks service, and my Breakfast team who rise at dawn every day to guarantee our guests the effect start to their day!

However I am disappointed to see the negative impact our refurbishment had on your stay. While you are absolutely correct that there is never a good time for a hotel to have building work I can see that it caused you considerable disruption and for that I am truly sorry. If you would be so kind to contact me via the TripAdvisor booking facility in advance of your next visit I will be happy to oversee your booking personally, and ensure it is all perfect.