“Not too bad!”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We've stayed in The Grand in Brighton as it was the wedding of my partner's brother. Overall, the hotel seemed old and dated and could benefit from refurbishment. Compared to four stars hotel, I think it is quite expensive for what you get.

The rooms are quite basic and again could benefit from refurbishment. It is clean but I expect more modern furniture and bed. The toilet and bath is again old and need modernisation.

We have tried the buffet breakfast which is good, delicious and hot. Lots of choices to choose from.

Location is excellent as it is on the seafront and walking distance to the pier.

Service was good and I could not fault it. The attendants are always there to help you and very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you so much for your review of The Grand following your stay with us in April 2012.

Well what a difference a year can make! We have undergone a huge refurbishment project in 2012-2013, and as a result every bedroom will be fully redecorated, as has our a lounge area, and we now have a beautiful new day Spa, and seafood restaurant, GB1.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future, so you can see the improvements for yourself.

Andrew Mosley

Write a ReviewReviews (8,232)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I thought I must write a review about the hotel the minute we arrived home as we had a truly wonderful experience. Firstly, I must thank Terry on front desk who did a splendid job in helping me choose room 620. What a lovely room, large, own dressing room, great balcony, two chairs, and a massive bed. Perfect. Just missing a safe which I am sure will be installed soon. The staff including all the porters and doormen were very helpful and whoever does the training needs to be given a pat on their backs as it is superb. You never felt at all as though you were in a huge hotel, and never felt just a small cog in a a huge wheel. Well done to you all. Hope we can come back soon.
Deborah & Roger Hale

Room Tip: Choose Room 620 - it is perfect, great view, great balcony, huge bed, and high up.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for sharing your comments following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to us, and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my team, especially our wonderful receptionist Terri.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I just had to write and tell everyone about my favourite venue to be wined and dined in!
It is the new GB1 Seafood Restaurant and Bar at The Grand Hotel in Brighton .
A sumptuous dining extravaganza from early evening to midnight, starting with a wonderful selection of Cocktails sitting in the beautiful lounge bar. I started with a Margarita, made with fresh limes and a very good quality Tequila in a glass frosted with salt, my husband chose a Bloody Mary - it was perfectly mixed and garnished.

We then moved in to the GB1 Seafood Restaurant area - it has real WOW factor. The huge circular raised dining area, with incredibly comfy high backed soft red leather bar chairs - just wonderful.

We both nibbled on "Scallop Popcorn" - one of their own little "specialities" and proceeded to choose every possible combination of beautifully fresh
sea food/ Crustacea - each starting with six native Oysters, I had them served with a Chilli & pickled Ginger dressing - delicious! My husband chose the vodka and tomato juice dressing - they were beautifully fresh and full of that sea-side flavour. To go with our starter we had a crisp, dry and refreshing Chateau de la Roche Touraine Sauvignon Blanc. Delicious!

For starters - I had the crab meat, creme fraiche and lime, served with some thin crispy wholemeal toasts - it was so delicious and beautifully presented. My husband ordered the seared Scallops, black pudding with cauliflower puree, quail eggs and bacon, again cooked to perfection.

For the main course we had the Lobster and Dover Sole both served with a selection of Shellfish: cockles, clams, scallops and squid. A side dish of Samphire and smoked bacon and some honey mustard new potatoes - all beautifully fresh and perfectly cooked.

We then retired by the fire in the lounge for coffees and liqueurs - a perfect end to a truly wonderful dining experience. The service was second to none. You could not find fault with the staff from the minute we arrived to the minute we left - they could not have done more for us, to make our evening a complete success and a night to remember! We will be back again soon to sample even more of the GBI Restaurant and Bar delights at The Grand Brighton. This is now our favourite!

Sue Bonny of
Rottingdean Sussex.

3  Thank Bonny58186273

Thank you so much for passing on your feedback following your recent visit to GB1.

I am so thrilled to read that you enjoyed your meal - opening GB1 was a huge project for all involved, but reading comments such as yours makes it all worth while.

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was fantastic it had so much history and was such a joy to stay in. The hotel staff were so helpful and made the stay great. I even had a card in my room on arrival wishing my partner a lovely stay which was a great added extra. It is a shame we did not get to eat in the main restaurant as it was being refurbed but the meal was still wonderful. I can say I will be coming back in the very near future. Thank you The Grand Brighton and all your wonderful staff.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you so much for your recent review on TripAdvisor of The Grand.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to us, although I am so sorry to see that you did not get to enjoy our new restaurant GB1 as it was not yet opened.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future so we can show off our beautiful new addition to you, as well as our new luxury day spa which opened in early May.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just arrvied home from a most enjoyable trip to the Grand. From start to finish our stay was perfect. The staff could not do enough to help when asked and our sea view room was delightful. Would highly recommend the Grand to anyone who likes old style opulence mixed with a modern tinge (our refurbished room was gorgeous)

Room Tip: Sea view room a must
1  Thank shannonHuddersfield

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to us, and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my team, who work so hard to deliver excellent service to all of our guests. It is so wonderful to see that their efforts do not go unnoticed!

I hope to welcome you back into the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had an enjoyable stay at the Grand Hotel in February, 2013. The staff were very polite and helpful and the food was of a high standard. We were able to get a sea view room, although some of the rooms need up-dating. There is, however, a programme of refurbishment under way. Much of the original Victorian architecture is intact.

Room Tip: If you book a sea view room try to get an upper floor because there is a busy road in front of the h...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RNGZG

Thank you very much for posting your review of The Grand on TripAdvisor following your recent time with us.

Our refurbishment project is so very nearly completed, however I appreciate that the building works negatively impacted your stay and for that I am truly sorry.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel once the refurbishment is complete, so that we can show you how Grand we can be.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel was booked as a weekend break away from hustle bustle of our busy lives.. and to be by the seaside.
The Hotel itself is amazing... Our room had a draughty window but Still tastefully decorated.
I slept like a log...
We decided to have a drink downstairs in the bar, to my dismay the guests were misbehaving quite badly, which put a dampner on my evening a little.. I kind of thought everyone would act as tasteful as the hotel would, and that staff would object to such. As the noise level got beyind comfort we sought refuge of our room 3 floors up.
I feel the reputation of the hotel ought to be back to the grandeur and not accept any unreasonable behavior.
Breakfast our table was lovely in the conservatory, but we waited absolutely ages to be attended by waiting staff...
I would i'm afraid think twice about returning because It was worse than I expected.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Susanna0473

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand.

I am sorry that you encountered some issues during your stay, and I will be sure to look at these closely to ensure that we are delivering maximum guest satisfaction in the future.

However I hope to welcome you into the hotel in the near future, so that my team and I can show you how right we can get it!