“Superb break”

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Superb break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Amazing hotel. Upgraded to a deluxe suite with outstanding sea view and balcony. Staff could not have been more helpful and polite. The breakfast selection was fantastic with a choice of full english, continental, fruit and also a selection of dishes from the menu, freshly cooked. You could have all of it if you were that hungry! Just loved it and cannot wait to re-visit in the summer. A big thank you to everyone at the Grand Hotel.

2 Thank Helen H
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Helen,

Thank you so much for your recent review on TripAdvisor; it is such a pleasure to read reviews such as yours, and to know that all of our hard work is worthwhile!

My staff undergo a lot of training to ensure they deliver the best customer service possible, and I will be sure to let them know that their hard work hasn't gone unnoticed. In particular I will pass your compliments onto the breakfast team.

I look forward to welcoming you back later this year, with our new luxury day spa opening this week we now have even more to offer our guests., and I am confident you will love it.

Andrew Mosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,113)
  • Arabic first
Addlestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We arrived on a sunny winter's afternoon and the doorman let us in to the warmth of the lobby, with a piano playing and tea being served in the lounge area. Checking-in was swift and we soon made our way up to the fourth floor. We paid a little extra for a room with a sea view, which was worth it whilst the sun shone.
Like other reviewers have commented, the heating was on full blast making the room uncomfortably hot. We turned the thermostats down and opened the window. It started to cool gradually, but our first night's sleep was not as good as it could have been as we had to leave the window open. Traffic noise and that of night-time revellers didn't really let up until about 4am (it was a Friday night). If the rooms were air conditioned, there wouldn't be a problem.
By the next day, the room temperature was under control and our other two nights' sleep was fine.
Our room certainly looked a little 'tired'. BUT everything worked as it should. We know that the hotel's rooms are gradually being refurbished, it's just that ours hadn't been.
The lounge and bar areas are comfortable, and there's even a 'happy hour' for cocktails (but not on every day). The draught bitter was competetively priced, but other drinks not so. However, the bar staff were polite, efficient, and knew how to mix a cocktail or two ...
Dining in the hotel's restaurant (GB1) was surprisingly good. We had no problem with the table service.
One think that stood out was the enthusiasm, friendliness and efficiency of all of the staff members that we came into contact with. They tried very hard to make you feel welcome and comfortable.
To some extent, it's like stepping back in time. The interior of the hotel is certainly grand - the staircase, the wrought ironwork, the oak panelling, the lighting. Impressive - as was the free and fast wi-fi throughout the hotel.
I really think we'll be back ......

Room Tip: A sea view is tempting, but the noise from passing traffic and pedestrians could keep you awake.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to my team. They work incredibly hard to provide our guests with a warm and friendly welcome, so it is wonderful to see this hasn't gone unnoticed!

I will also be sure to discuss the issues you have raised with your room with our maintenance team, and I am truly sorry that these affected your stay with us

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon,please be sure to check the De Vere website for the best available prices and deals!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

The lobby area is still most impressive, and the concierge staff excellent.
However, our room was ok, but nothing special, at the bottom of a light well, with little daylight. Fittings were ok, but nothing out of the ordinary for a lower grade hotel.
The main problem is the dining room organisation and meals.
Like all those around us, we complained to the restaurant manager about our meal on the Saturday night. They were obviously grossly understaffed, with our waitress apparently looking after about 30 diners.
Our main course eventually arrived after just over an hour. The plates were cold and the meal dried out and overcooked. We were offered a free coffee to compensate however, by then we had had enough and left.
Had we not been staying on a half board package, I would have refused to pay for the meal.
On check out, I was asked by the front desk staff whether we had had any problems. On mentioning the restaurant problems, the answer was that this was nothing to do with their department.
We have stayed at other De Vere hotels. The Grand is well below standard.

1 Thank John C
Dear John,

Thank you so much for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your visit to us in February. As a hotel we thrive on guest comments, and use it to improve the services we can offer our guests.

I am sincerely sorry for the difficulties you experienced during your evening meal. I will be sure to talk to the restaurant team personally about this, to ensure that this situation does not happen again. With GB1 now open and in full swing I hope to see you in the hotel again, where my team and I can show you how Grand we can be!

Aberaeron Cymru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Having lived in Brighton for many years ,I always wanted to experience the Grand and it didnt disappoint.We had a lovely room and although it was not one of the refurbished ones was still very comfortable ,with an oblique view of the West Pier. The staff were very accommodating and changed the double to a twin at our request. We also took advantage of their cocktail hour and enjoyed relaxing in the bar.
The restaurant had just reopened and we were the first guests to use the verandah seating area for breakfast,which had every choice of cooked and buffet breakfast you could want .It really is a very fine building with lots of beautiful architectural detail that is worth walking up and down the staircase for ! I really hope that the Grand continues to rediscover its mojo and that it will regain its position as a jewel in Brightons crown.

3 Thank Travelwellstranger
Thank you so much for passing on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Grand, and I am so pleased that we didn't disappoint!

Our building is our greatest asset, and we are extremely proud of our heritage. However as you noted we have indeed had a large amount of refurbishment work done over the last year, with a new restaurant and a luxury day spa; and refurbishment works to our bedrooms and lounge area. With these works now nearing completion we are ready for the next phase of our history, and I am so pleased to have local residents as excited about it as I am.

Thanks once again,

Tadcaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Excellent Hotel, great room, even though it was on the side, lovely dining room for breakfast of which there was a great selection. The staff could not have been more helpful. I do hope that it continues.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TLCJ1961
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased to read that you had such a pleasant stay with us, and that my staff delivered the service that you would expect of a hotel such as The Grand. My team work incredibly had to deliver impeccable service and its a pleasure to see it hasn't gone noticed in this instance.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future,

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Brighton's best Hotel has just got better. A new fish restaurant has been added with entirely elegant surroundings, Corinthian columns, traditional table settings and circular high bar seating. A finely balanced mix of old and modern. Lots of space around tables and a lovely high ceiling adorned with the right level of lighting. The receptionist invited us into the main bar first for aperitifs and allowed us to warm up without rushing to fill the table. We took seats at the bar where the General Manager made time to personally chat and make sure we were comfortable, despite it being busy as a first day opening. The starters, Oysters and Crab, were good proportions and very tasty. Oyster size is important and all 6 were large and juicy with a choice of dips. Main courses Dover Sole and Lobster were equally excellent. A great place for a special occasion. Our first visit was in 1976 on honeymoon and we were delighted to have the same exacting standards of warm service, elegant ambience, and first class cuisine.

Dear Clive,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback following your visit to GB1. I am so pleased that your enjoyed your visit to the restaurant, and it was a pleasure to have been able to personally greet you.

Our chefs and waiting staff have worked incredibly hard to make GB1 a success, and I will be sure to personally pass on your feedback to them.

Thanks once again for posting, and I look forward to seeing you again soon,

Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Well the title says it all.
I so wanted to like this old, grand girl of a hotel. BUT;
Our room was small, pokey; (swing a mouse, not a cat).Dark room is an understatement! Going for the lowest possible rated energy saving bulb going isn't the best idea they've had.
I didn't actually find one person that had a refurbished room.
The room was roasting hot when we got in there. We turned the room stat on the radiator down and opened the window. We closed the window when we went out for dinner. On return the room was roasting again "AND THE STAT SAID LOW (the little snowflake) (frost setting)" & radiator was too hot to touch. Speaking to other guests- same problem. I was unable to sleep at all, all night. To top it off I had somebody banging around on the scaffolding outside my window in the middle of the night. Smoker/burglar/builder who knows?
Staff wasn't too bothered by it. So keep your windows locked no matter how hot it gets. Better still stay elsewhere.
Bathroom was shabby, mine clearly hadn't been refurbed.
The restaurant was ok- Just ok. Service was weak. Nearly wearing some red wine from the table next to us, caused by sloppy waiter spilling glass. Yes we was that close. Service needs to be brushed up on. I certainly don't like being reached across whilst eating.
Breakfast wasn't what I would expect. Let’s leave that there. Dry shriveled bacon is a bugbear of mine.

The Hotel is fabulous to see, very grand in the bar area, main stairs are spectacular. But it needs updating, rooms & staff.
When checking out the receptionist tried to charge me for drinks AGAIN. and was quite insistent, even when I produced the receipt showing I had paid cash. BE AWARE! Old scam.
When asked did I have a nice stay. I politely said "No". After seeing the manager, he offered a part refund. This had still yet to appear. But I am not surprised by that. All words no action- see a trend here?
Overall, shabby hotel, shabby service. There are plenty of choices in Brighton. I would recommend trying one of them. De Vere needs to look into this hotel carefully- If they even care.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 134. Small, dark, hot and things go bang in the night outside.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business