“Lovely stay,minor quibbles”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed in one of the refurbished rooms but one of the cheap ones without any view. Lovely room, huge bed. Excellent breakfast with huge choice. Husband travels a lot on business and praised the maitre'd for the range and quality. Great central location for all that Brighton has to offer. Minor quibbles; no hair conditioner and ladies do like that. Reception appeared to think we were mad asking for it. As did housekeeping when we asked for flannels (or face cloths) but at least they found some. They also found some slippers and a second dressing gown. Have no idea why these weren't in the room to start with though. Clearly the second gown was a bone of contention as the cleaner took it after the first night. Bizarre.

Public areas delightful with piano playing in the afternoon and evening. Despite the quibbles i would very happily go again. Thanks

Room Tip: Some rooms have no view whatsoever.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank abbytabby_9
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to pass n your feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am sorry that such a good visit was marred by a few minor issues, however I will do my best to address them here.

I will address the matter of the slippers and dressing gowns directly with our housekeepers, they know that every guest should receive them as standard and I am sorry that this wasn't the case, but I will ensure that they know for the future.

I am also sorry that there was no conditioner in the room, as part of our ongoing commitment to the environment we have removed as much unnecessary plastic from the rooms as possible; however I do completely take on board your comments, and will reexamine this decision carefully.

I hope these issues will not stop you from visiting us in the future.

Andrew Mosley

Write a ReviewReviews (8,089)

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed one night in a double seaview room. Judging by the website photos, we had a pre-reburbishment room. However, we had no complaints about the furniture or decor. The room was also a reasonable size and had plenty of storage space. The bed was particularly comfortable, faced the large flat screen TV, and was near the window and balcony to enjoy the view.

We had a superb afternoon tea in the conservatory area at the front, with excellent service from the friendly staff. The breakfast in the main restaurant was also very good, with a wide range of hot food, cereals, pastries and fruits. Everything was kept well stocked and the service again was professional, efficient and friendly.

The public spaces in the hotel are a real strong point, with a beautiful lobby and a grand looking lounge and bar. Overal, these convey an impressive atmosphere to the hotel, which is strengthened by the high level of staffing and service throughout the hotel. A very enjoyable stay!

1  Thank Peltt

Thai you so much for your recent comments regarding The Grand.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that my team delivered great service. Our Lounge has recently been relaunched as part of our ongoing refurbishment project, and it truly is a breath of fresh air.

Thanks once again for your review, and I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel later this year, when you will be able to see our new seafood restaurant, GB1, and our new Spa.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Still the Grandest in Brighton, my daughter says the mojito at the bar was the best she had had.
The breakfast was perfect, fresh fruit, eggs Benedict, freshest Danish and very pleasant staff. Almost anything you could want.
We ate in the restaurant one evening and the taster menu was delicious. Lovely service and delicious food.
It's central location and brilliant staff are great assets,
Only whines, some of the rooms are very very tired, our bed was from the 1990s though it was comfortable with its topper.
Also the spa was closed and sounds like the pool will not be brought back.
But hurrah for lovely concierges, reception staff and even cheerful cleaners. 5

Room Tip: Book a normal room in advance then ask for an upgrade when you get there. You can often get a huge s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sharon G

Thank you very much for your recent comments on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased to see that you had such a pleasurable stay with us, and will be sure to pass on your comments to the bar team, housekeepers, concierges and receptionists.

I'm sorry that you room was tired, however we are currently undergoing a refurbishment project which will see all of our bedrooms being given a facelift. However I do appreciate your comments, and apologise that the room wasn't of the standard you expected.

I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel once this project is completed.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

This was our second stay at The Grand - The room was lovely - updated - unlike the last stay.
The service was excellent. Our reason for the stay was a Christmas party.Food was lovely and again,the service was good.
We will stay again later in the year!
Our only comment was the £2.50 charge for using a credit card..................

1  Thank 47mini

Thank you so much for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor,

Firstly I hope you had a wonder Christmas, and a wonderful christmas party! The festive period is our busiest time of year, however I am pleased to see that even though they were busy my team were still ale to deliver great service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel later in the year, when our new Restaurant and new Spa will be open! Our website has all the information regarding these new developments, and is constantly updated with discounts and offers,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed with my wife for one night as we were going to the Brighton Centre next door to see a show. The staff were very friendly and helpful even to valet parking our car. We had a recently refurbished room with the biggest bed ever. The bar was a great place to unwind in for a nightcap and the breakfast had everything you could wish for. A definate place to stay again, we can't wait.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back so no view which wasn't important for our stay.
2  Thank Jeffrey T

Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grand.

I am so pleased you had such a great stay with us, and that we provided the perfect venue for you after your visit to The Brighton Centre, especially as we are only next door!

I will be sure to pass on all of your compliments to the team, particularly our Concierge team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand soon.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel is undergoing renovation. In general that can there is disruption within the hotel, but not there wasn't when we were there. The hotels' website is slightly misleading as the photographs show the state after renovation and it's not complete. The Spa isn't open yet, but that's clear from the web-site. We had no complaints. The lobby and bar area have been refurbished and look great.

We had a room with sea view which had not been refurbished, but it was fine. The room was large as was the bed and although the bathroom was a bit dated and was clearly in need of renovation it was fine - clean and lots of hot water. We could have done with more shower gel. The wardrobe was poor, only one small window opened and the radiators had seen better days. As the room faces south it gets hot when the sun shines - even in winter. When the room is refurbished I'm sure it will be magnificent and more expensive.

Early one evening the bar was overrun by a large group, mainly female, before they ate in the hotel. The noise level and general disruption was high, although the staff were able to continue to serve drinks to other guests. The hotel should try to locate such groups elsewhere.

Breakfast was average for this class of hotel.

The best aspect of the hotel was the staff. We were always greeted in a friendly way and when we asked for things - a bathrobe, a replacement light bulb - the response was rapid.

Valet car parking was expensive, but very convenient. In any case parking in Brighton is expensive and difficult so the premium for parking at the hotel isn't large.

We'll go again after the refurbishment is complete .

Room Tip: The sea view is great, but if you prefer quiet or want a refurbished room you may have to settle for...
2  Thank Regular_Reader

Thank you so much for your recent review on TripAdvisor, I really do appreciate the time and effort you have taken.

Firstly I am so pleased that my team delivered such great service, and I will be sure to personally pass on your thanks to the the staff members in question.

The refurbishment project is nearly over; our new fish restaurant GB1 opens in early February, the Spa in April and all of our bedrooms will have been refurbished by mid 2013, so we look forward to welcoming you back soon, when we can show off all of these new facilities!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and had a lovely time :) I don't quite understand what everyone else seems to be complaining about..

I mentioned in passing when making the reservation that it was my boyfriend's birthday and when we arrived to our room, they had arranged for a bottle of Moet to be in the room before we checked in :)

The breakfast service was brilliant, with huge pots of coffee available, a great variety of newspapers and really helpful staff..

However during the stay, we felt a little condescended towards on several occasions, which was a great shame and kinda ruined the whole experience..

To be situated in the centre of such a liberal town, It should be suggested that the hotel's views move towards entering the 21st century along with everyone else..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hjpkt

Dear Harry,

Thank you so much for your review of The Grand, and I hope your boyfriend had a wonderful birthday.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our team arranged for a little extra something in the room as it was a special occasion, it is these little touches that I like to think really help us stand out from the competition.

However I am severely disappointed that you felt you were condescended to, that is not the way I expect my guests to be treated, and if you would be so kind as to forward me (via the TrpAdvisor messaging facility) a few more details of the incident I will be happy to investigate and take the necessary action.

I look forward to speaking to you soon,