“Going the extra mile”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Stoke Newington
“Going the extra mile”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We arrived at this wonderful hotel on a Friday night only to discover that we had originally made the booking for the Saturday night - Our fault entirely! Plus the hotel was totally booked solid ! However both the Receptionist ,Lucy, and the Duty Manager (Jason) went beyond the call of duty - and managed to put us up in a room that was 'out of service'. In a world where the 'computer says No' , these guys couldn't do enough for us. Both the staff and the experience of this wonderful hotel never dissapoints ! If you want a minimalist experience where people dress up to cross the lobby - go to a boutique hotel - If you want the best of all things - then there is only one place to go - The Grand. We will return.

2 Thank simmssj
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grand on TripAdviisor, it has made me extremely happy!

One of the keystones of our service training with the team is "to go the extra mile" and to see that not only has this been delivered by the staff, but also appreciated by you, the guest, is wonderful. I will be sure to personally pass on your thanks to Jason and Lucy, who both work expectionally hard to deliver great service all the time.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, and we will be sure to deliver the same great service.

Andrew Mosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
  • Arabic first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We had several options of hotels to choose from during our one night stay in Brighton. While the lobby and view of the sea are grand and I appreciated the history behind the hotel (built in the 1700's, bombed by the IRA during a Margaret Thatcher visit), the room we had was so very less than grand. There was no dresser or place to put our clothes; the room and bath lighting had us struggling to see; there's no place in the bath for a hairdryer; the bath amenities were skimpy; the safe was on the floor in the small closet, there wasn't a lock on the room door! We had looked forward to using the pool and spa, which were closed for renovations (we were not aware of this when booking) and we were told there were no alternatives available for the hotel's guests. I'd skip the stay next time and come for tea!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay here at The Grand.

I am sorry that your room was disappointing, we are currently refurbishing all of our bedrooms, as well as our Spa and Restaurant, and this project will be completed by mid 2013. However I completely take on board your comments, and once again apologise for the discomfort you experience during your stay.

I hope that we will welcome you back into the hotel later in the year, if you do come in for tea please let me know in advance of your visit and I would be more than happy to arrange for one of the team to take you on a walk around of the hotel, and show you all of the improvements we have made.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

For our 13th anniversary, my husband decided to treat us with one of the fancy suites.
I must say first, that I have contacted the hotel about my issues and they dealt with them, but I still feel I must put a review of our stay up.
Breakfast - you stand in a queue for ages to be seated (they seem to only have one person doing the seating
The Suite - we were on the top floor. There is no proper air-conditioning and the seaside windows do not open at all. The back windows open and we were treated to an infestation of flies. We asked for this to be taken care of, it was, with fly spray and we got back to the room after a walk to loads of fly corpses - we then had to ask for someone to please come up and clean. These were on the floor, desk, bed etc. They apologised profusely and sent up and complimentary bottle of wine. Gesture, very much appreciated. The next night we moved suites - this suite seemed to be the preferred suite (we had a feeling that they one we stayed in the night before wasn't used much at all). The second suite was much better. It already had a fan in (the fan we asked for in the other suite was broken!)
Following the weekend, I complained to De Vere who refunded us 25% of one night's stay, which quite frankly, although I accepted the offer, was not satisfactory.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MelDigi
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I am aware that my team have already dealt with the issues raised during your stay, and offered you compensation, however I would like to extend my personal apologies. I am glad that the second suite you were shown was more suitable, however I do appreciate that you shouldn't have had the initial experience that you did.

I hope to invite you back to the hotel in the future, and would be delighted to oversee your reservation personally

Once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Crawley
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was our first time at The Grand but it certainly won't be our last.

We had a 2 night stay and wished it could have been longer.

The staff, the meals and service were all exceptional. Our room had everything that we needed.

We really couldn't have asked for anything more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for updating TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I am delighted that you had such a brilliant stay with us, and I'm confident that with the opening of our new Spa and the relaunch of our Restaurant in 2013 your next visit will be even better!

Thanks once again,

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We spent 4 nights here whilst we were moving into our home in Brighton. Unfortunately, the pool and spa were being renovated and so we didn't get the chance to chill out and relax at the end of a busy day getting our home ready. Our first night was on a Saturday and the hotel was very busy with parties and Christmas dinners etc. so,we expected a noisy night and were pleased that we didn't get disturbed at all. The room was a reasonable size and recently refurbished, it wasn't luxury but it was pleasant and clean. The bed was superb, large and very comfortable. The staff were helpful and friendly in all areas of the hotel. The breakfast was very good indeed with a wide choice from the buffet and some nice additional selections from e menu. Nice venue for the restaurant looking out to the seafront. The locational is superb for the city centre, beach and all the amenities Brighton has to offer, frequent taxis at the front of the hotel and helpful door staff.

Dear Julia,

Firstly welcome to Brighton! I am sure you will love it here, it is hard not to, what with the nightlife, culture, beach, shopping and so on.

Our spa is indeed currently being redeveloped, and is scheduled for an April opening. I am sorry that it wasn't open in time for your visit on this occasion, but we will be open to the public as well as hotel residents, so please feel free to pop in and have a look (and maybe a facial or massage) once it is open, I can promise you that it is well worth the wait.

Thank you for taking the time to update TripAdvisor with your review, and once again best wishes for your new home.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My visit to the Hotel was for our Anniversary, this is not a modern trendy Hotel but it's name states the truth, Grand! Although areas do require re-refurbishment this is a Hotel that has survived an IRA bombing that nearly killed Margaret Thatcher and is still a major seafront landmark. The bar area is great with high vaulted ceilings throughout the whole lounge area and a full cocktail menu and Grand piano await you. The Staff were very friendly and efficient and cocktails were prepared with flair and manners. If you judge establishments by their toilets or this is an area that constantly disappoints you when they spend so much on front of house but no a thought for the essentials, fear not the bar toilets are immaculate with even individual shelves for hand towels and in and out doors. With regards to accommodation as this was a special occasion I had booked a seafront view room on the second floor and I have to say this is the biggest bedroom I have ever stayed in and the bed was huge and after a long day shopping it was difficult to get off to make pre-night out drinks at the bar! The breakfast was very good and service was very good, parking can be expensive but a nearby Shopping Centre car park proved much cheaper and booking through an on-line Hotel provider saved me even more money. The Hotel is in a prime position within walking distance to everything Brighton has to offer and the beach is a walk across the road.

Make no mistakes if you are debating to go to this Hotel expect Victorian seaside Grandeur that may be quirky in places but it will give you so much more than a modern brightly coloured Hotel, and this can only come from age and history! long may this hotel continue. My advice would be if this is for a special occasion splash out and pay for one of the seafront rooms and have a Spa as well, your partner will definitely appreciate it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor.

Here at The Grand we pride ourselves on fantastic service, and I so pleased the read that my team delivered this during your visit. I will be particularly pleased to tell the Lounge team that their flair and service were singled out in particular for praise.

We are also exceptionally proud of our heritage and history, while also looking to the future, and with our new spa and restaurant opening this year 2013 should certainly be a huge year for us, for all the right reasons!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just back from 2 nights at this hotel in Brighton where we couldn't have asked for more. The hotel still has an air of luxury, and every member of staff we encountered were more than helpful and friendly. Whilst our room did not have a view, it was spacious, well equipped and the beds were extremely comfortable. When we rang down to ask for our tea tray to be replenished someone was at our door within 5 minutes with a bag full of tea, coffee and sugar. Breakfast was deicious and it was lovely to sit at the front of hotel overlooking the sea for breakfast. The downside here is parking - the hotel can arrange parking but it is expensive. We found a private car park on the internet for just £12 for 24 hours parking, as opposed to the standard £24 - £26. The saving we made on parking was spent on a lovely cocktail in the hotel bar! The hotel has a warm, relaxed feel to it, is in the perfect location right on the sea front and 2 minutes into town with an abundance of bars and restaurants, and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view - this hotel has the best location!