“Tired and in need of a refit”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Hemel Hempstead, England
“Tired and in need of a refit”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Whilst I cannot fault the team at the Grand I really think that the Hotel needs a major makeover.
They are currently working on the Spa/gym so it looks like they are going in the right direction!

The views (if you have one) really are lovely but the decor and furniture in the rooms really let the hotel down. I understand they want to keep the 'oldy woldy' feeling but they can do that and still redecorate and replace tired and old furniture.

The bar prices are not too bad but I know we would spend longer in the hotel bar if they were reduced!!! The food is very good and breakfasts are plentiful.

This is my 3rd trip here with my husbands work. Brighton is lovely and we always have a laugh however I think this is more to do with the company we're with rather than the hotel!

Come on De Vere you have a hotel in a wonderful location - use it to its full potential!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a seaview other wise you could get a brick wall!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Joanne,

Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of The Grand on TripAdvisor, I really do appreciate them, and pass on all comments to my team, and I will be sure to let them know that you appreciated all their hard work.

You are absolutely right, we are in the midlife our refurbishment project, which involves all of our bedrooms having a soft furnishings refurbishment; our Kings restaurant being relaunched as GB1 -specialising in fish and seafood - in March, and our new Spa opening in April. I do truly believe that these improvements will be a huge step in the right direction for The Grand, and will make us the number one choice of hotel to all visitors in Brighton.

I look forward to showing you all the fruits of our labour on your next visit,

Andrew Mosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Arabic first
Adelaide Hills, Australia
Reviewed December 7, 2012

While some reviews have critisied this hotel as not being as "Grand" as they expect, the hotel is investing a lot of time and money inot making improvements to bring it right up to date. I managed to get an online deal from their website which saved me 42% over two nights and iy was well worth it and meant it was exceptional value. The staff were very friendly and the recently revamped bar was lovely and thr breakfasts were excellent. My main issue was with the room heating. I had room 611 and it was loarge and comfortable with a great king sized bed but the very small radiator was hopeless i trying to heat such a large room. My other gripe was very expensive on site parking, twenty six pounds a night during the week and dearer at weekends! Overall I loved the Grand de Vere and would stay again and I am interested in seeing further improvements to this lovely hotel to really make it the hotel of choice in Brighton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Peter,

Thank you so much for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor.

Firstly congratulations on getting such a great deal! We update our website constantly with new offers, so keep your eyes peeled for further bargains in 2013.

I am sorry that the room wasn't warm enough, our Reception and Concierge teams are constantly on hand to provide you with extra heaters and such in this instance, but I appreciate that you may not have been able to request this at the time, and so I apologise if this negatively impacted your stay.

I also am sorry that you felt the the car park was expensive, however these charges do help cover the cost of keeping the car park secure, and our valet parking; but I do appreciate and understand your point entirely.

The refurbishment project is scheduled to be completed by mid 2013, and so I hope to see you then to show you all the improvements we have made!

Midlands
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here in November 2012. On arrival we pulled up on the forecourt to ask the concierge where the easiest place was to park. Our reply was "no problem sir we can valet park you're vehicle for you" by this point we are checking our pockets for the tips expected!! We then had all our luggage carried in for us and loaded onto trollies to be taken to the rooms. Reception were equally attentive and professional. Onto our rooms which were in need of minor modernisation however they were more than adequate and very clean. There were various improvement works being carried out when we stayed although this did not disrupt our stay in any way and looks like it will be fantastic when complete. The linen and towels were changed daily and replacement toiletries left. Breakfast was buffet style with everything you would want and also had an option to order specific items if required. We used the secure hotel car park which is well worth the slightly higher charge. All in all we would definitely stay again and look forward to seeing the improvements as long as the room cost doesn't price the hotel out of the local market. Thank you to all of the staff for an excellent stay and keep up the good work.....

Room Tip: Use hotel car park for hassle free parking.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 113guinness
Thank you for asking the time to update TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you found the Concierge and Reception teams helpful and friendly. It isn't easy to be the face of the hotel, but they do a wonderful job greeting our guests, and so I will be sure to personally thank them on your behalf.

I am also happy to see that our private car park and valet parking were of use to you during your stay, they are one of the many extra little touches that The Grand has to offer that I feel makes us just that extra bit special!

You are correct, we are indeed having refurbishment works, which will result in al of our bedrooms having had a facelift; however I am more than confident the rooms will still be well within your price range (...and we often have extra special deals on our website to make them that bit more affordable!). I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

harlow
Reviewed December 7, 2012

stayed last night in room 202, not a great view and bathroom not heated,room chilly but within 5 minutes a secondary heater was bought to the room.all staff very friendly and cant do enough for you especially mat the consierge.missed breakfast so cant comment but we loved the place.the bed was so comfy as were the pillows.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lilyrose8
Thank you so much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

I also pleased that Matt was able to help you, and I will be sure to personally thank him on your behalf, and I will also be sure to ask my maintenance team to look at the room you stayed in and ensure the windows are properly covered to ensure no further draughts.

I am so pleased that you found the room comfortable and enjoyed a good nights sleep with us. I hope to welcome you back into the hotel in 2013, and maybe we will be Ale to tempt you down into our NEW restaurant for breakfast!

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My BF booked this for our first valentines - saying we were staying in a B and B - then stopped outside this hotel and wow! i felt so looked after!

The rooms were fab (although we didnt have a sea view - it was a brick wall!!!) and the satff were great!

Breakfast was out of this world, anything you could think of was on the menu! we ate so much that we didnt need anything until tea when we got home after walking around brighton for 6 hours!

we didnt eat in the hotel for dinner as was out of our budget but went to the lanes!

this hotel was fantastic and he has set the bar high for our next valentines haha

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pompychar
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Just back from the most amazing weekend at the Grand. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty by the fantastic doormen, waitresses and reception staff. My daughter squealed with delight when she saw the giant Christmas tree in the lobby, as did my mum and I when we arrived in our room which was beautifully decorated in pale sea blues and soft greys - a great blend of glamorous contemporary soft furnishings and traditional furniture. The beds were very comfortable and the bath was easily the best I have ever used - a deep Victorian style tub with a rainforest shower head. The bath filled so easily and the water was always the right temperature, it was actually hard to drag ourselves out of the room to enjoy the sights and sounds of Brighton. We had booked on an Autumn Saver deal so had resigned ourselves to a dismal room in the bowels of the hotel but could not have been more wrong.

Visited Chockywokydoda as we had watched the show on the Food Channel - the shop was smaller than it looks on television and mobbed but we managed to get a seat in its nearby cafe and pigged out on amazing hot chocolate, although don't go if you are about to have dinner or on a diet! After a trip on the Brighton Wheel which was fab and well worth the money we went back to the hotel which was really buzzy and fun as Madness were playing next door and some of their fans seemed to be staying in the hotel. The concert venue next door is pretty much a guarantee that there will always be good people watching in the hotel bar.

My brother and partner and their two wee ones came and visited in the hotel and the staff could not have been nicer and more accommodating providing warm water for the baby's bottle in a champagne bucket!

Breakfast next day was great as we had a table with lovely sea views and just the thing to set myself and my daughter up for a walk along the beach to the pier. The sun was really bright and we had the best time ambling along popping into little galleries and gift shops along the seafront and sunbathing on deck chairs on the pier - a novel experience for December.

We visited the free museum at The Royal Pavillions and then had lunch in Jamie Oliver's pop up restaurant at the ice rink there which was very picturesque and then back to the hotel, where cocktails were £5 during happy hour. Unfortunately the champagne cocktails were not included but they were worth every penny. We had the Taste of Grand Saver menu for dinner which was £20 for two courses, a glass of wine and coffee per person. The hotel had a terrific kids menu as well, my daughter had steak and thick cut chips, a million times better than the dried up chicken nuggets hotels usually serve up to kids.

Overall a wonderful trip and just absolutely loved the Grand can't wait to go back with my husband.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Fergusonfamily059
Reviewed December 1, 2012

An anathema for me!

Great breakfast and staff. But I found the decor of the Grand Hotel bedrooms totally depressing. The ripped/ patched wall paper, the cold towel rail in the bath room, the topless taps, the stained carpets, the broken safe that could not be fixed. The lack of additional blankets/ bedding in the wardrobe sad - the duvet on the bed was wafer thin.  I know there is an upgrade in progress, but some of these items don't need an upgrade to fix. Come on De Vere Hotels, if you are going to charge these prices, make some investments now.

We spoke to the front desk about our concerns - they were polite but clearly we were not the first to air similar views!

On a positive note, the staff were extremely helpful and accommodating.  A bonus given what they have to work with.  So well done to them.

The buffet breakfast extensive and delicious! Well done to the chefs!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view at the front - the standard rooms at the back are below standard for the mone...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple