“What was once 'Grand' is no longer so!”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed December 1, 2012

An anathema for me!

Great breakfast and staff. But I found the decor of the Grand Hotel bedrooms totally depressing. The ripped/ patched wall paper, the cold towel rail in the bath room, the topless taps, the stained carpets, the broken safe that could not be fixed. The lack of additional blankets/ bedding in the wardrobe sad - the duvet on the bed was wafer thin.  I know there is an upgrade in progress, but some of these items don't need an upgrade to fix. Come on De Vere Hotels, if you are going to charge these prices, make some investments now.

We spoke to the front desk about our concerns - they were polite but clearly we were not the first to air similar views!

On a positive note, the staff were extremely helpful and accommodating.  A bonus given what they have to work with.  So well done to them.

The buffet breakfast extensive and delicious! Well done to the chefs!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view at the front - the standard rooms at the back are below standard for the mone...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (8,096)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I took some dear relatives for afternoon tea as it was their first time in Brighton, for the price we paid I expected much better service. rude staff who clearly did not like working that day, received Huffs and puffs when my dear auntie asked if she could exchange the salmon sandwiches for her afternoon tea for chicken sandwiches. the person who poured my cup of tea spilt tea on my saucer and didn't bother to clear up. they were stingy with the portions and then when it came to paying the bill my relatives (who hilariously work in banking, and should know better) forgot to include service with the payment. waiter goes away with the money and then comes back saying " there's not enough money here!" and then dumps the tray that holds the bill on the table, then the manager pops over and says "what is the problem!". for a moment this reminded me of being in Pizza Hut in my student days when there was always a problem with a bill because of some mistake and the staff would treat you like prisoners till you pay. it was a genuine mistake where basically my auntie had forgotten to include the outrageous 20% service that they drop on your bill. seemed like the staff were having a bad day and had also forgotten the words 'please' and 'thank you'.... it's not difficult guys!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank rex1072
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to us here at The Grand.

I am truly sorry for the service you received, it goes without saying that this isn't what is expected of my staff. If you could send me a message outlining the time of your visit, I will be able to identify the member of staff in question and can deal with the matter personally.

Once again I am truly sorry,

Warm Regards

Andrew Mosley

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We are regular guests at the Grand, and are already planning next visit. It is currently undergoing major refurbishment, which it needed, and this will go some way to securing its position as one of the best laces to stay on the South coast. We just wish they would train their staff a little more consistantly, as service is sometimes great and sometimes really bad! But overall always an enjoyable experience!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark399
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is not a review of the hotel but of the booking experience that one reaches when calling the phone number advertised on the website.
I initially got through to a guy called lee who was very nice and helpful, I asked if I could have a think and call back which, of course, he was fine with - no problems there.
However, when I called back I got through to another guy who was very aggressively selling to me, was very abrupt, and was clearly reading from a script when he wasn't being rude. I felt cornered into booking, and it wasn't until my card details were handed over that he told me that the spa facilities wouldn't be available in the hotel during my stay. I then asked a simple question about the procedure for booking dinner and his tone became so patronising and rude that I'd have hung up if it were not for the fact that he had already got my card details out of me.
I don't understand why such a beautiful and famous hotel is associated with what is clearly a call centre that uses scripting and hard-selling. As for the rudeness hopefully this was just the fault of the one individual.
Hopefully the hotel experience will make up for this incident

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kate T

Thank you for taking the time to update TripAdvisor with your comments, and once again please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of our Central Reservations Team, this is not the quality of service that is acceptable here at The Grand.

As we discussed in our previous emails I am confident that we can make up for it during your visit to us, and show you how important our guests are to us.

We look forward to your forthcoming visit,

Warm Regards

Andrew Mosley

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We recently stayed 2 nights at the Grand for some Christmas shopping. First impressions great-met at the door by polite door staff, valet parking, suitcases brought upto room and very welcoming staff in the impressive entrace hall with chandelliers, original staircase and oppulent surroundings.
We has booked a 2for1 deal with breakfast in a seaview room- we got the seaview and an amazing huge comfy bed, but the room clearly had not been refurbished in a while, particularly the bathroom- all a bit tired. if we had paid full price i would have been very disappointed-make sure you get a deal as only a few of the rooms have been re-furbished by De Vere.

Cannot fault the service, the staff were great, but food and drink prices a bit steep.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room. Check for refurbishment-if you book online you will probably get an old room...
3  Thank suziehbabe
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Breakfast at The Grand is a wonderful experience, excellent food and great service. But the Sunday lunch us definitely worth your time. Excellent value at a fixed price, great roast and veg, delicious fish, and a birthday treat on the dessert plate. good wines and friendly service with a view on the sea front from the terrace, warm a cosy in November. I might add the rooms at The Grand are very comfortable with huge beds. At the moment the hotel are starting refurbishing, so soon the hotel will have a pool too.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but ours had a problem with the heating, we were upgraded to a superior room...
1  Thank suemike_12
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The last time i visited this wonderful hotel i was a little disapointed with the rooms and felt the hotel needed a refit without spoiling any of its very fine heritage. De Vere have done this the room i am currently sat in is without doubt firstclass, nothing out of place and the fittings and decor are faultless. The staff and service are exactly what you would expect from The Grand, nothing is to much trouble even down to Colin the concierge remembering my car from my last visit over a year ago. I like to visit Brighton at least twice a year and i will without doubt be spending it here. Well done De Vere you have mangaged to refit this fine hotel without spoiling any of its characteristics.

Room Tip: Pay Extra for a sea view room with a balcony. You only live once!!
1  Thank drunkMark