“A Grand Affair Indeed”

Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Brighton
“A Grand Affair Indeed”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Our recent stay at the Grand was, in a word, perfect. We were greeted upon arrival in a manner that managed to be both effusive and discreet. Once we had checked in and followed the directions to our room (218) I thought I had died and gone to hotel heaven.
The bathroom, with its double sinks and waterfall style shower was resplendant in white and filled with more fluffy towels than the now historically relevant Habitat. To call it a bathroom is a bit of a mistake though and I will explain this....
Walking into the room, which was spacious and housed a superking bed, chaise longue, capacious desk and more drawers than we knew what to do with, your eye is drawn to the focal point. No not the softly blue lit balcony or the crisp white robes with VIP emblazoned upon them...but the Bath. In the room. Set into a raised and then sunken platform behind the bed. This allows you (after filling it for more than 30 mins) to both sit in comfort and look out across the sea (without being visible from the outside I hasten to add!!).

After a very good night sleep (we have a small daughter at home and this was our first night away from her = head hits pillow and asleep) we awoke early and were able to sit and watch the sunrise with our tea and coffee before venturing down for breakfast.
As we were up early the dining room was almost empty so we were afforded the luxury of a window seat and had tea and coffee brought to our table whilst we worked out where to start with breakfast. After both opting for the cooked English we settled in to enjoy freshly cooked sausage, bacon and egg with beans and toast. This was then followed by a danish and another coffee. Everything looked lovely and I was sorry that I didn’t have room to sample some of the continental fare or the pancakes and waffles.
I could write for a long time how special this experience was for us and whilst I accept that maybe, according to some reviews and photos, some rooms are less than perfect, I would counter this with the argument that a stay at the Grand is more than just your room. Everything about it from the location, the room, the welcome, the farewell, the staff in general, the atmosphere and the old world grandeur makes a package you just won’t find in modern boutique hotels. We have made a promise to ourselves to come back and have some more ‘us’ time as soon as we are able. Until now we didn’t realise quite how much we needed it and to be honest now I wouldn’t go anywhere else. I’d rather one night here than two somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room if having a sea facing one
2 Thank Samantha C
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor

I am so delighted you had a "perfect stay" and enjoyed staying in one of our premium deluxe and newly refurbished rooms

It was also very kind of you to spend so much time and effort recounting your whole positive experience for other reviewers to read - thank you - and I am pleased we got everything right for you

We look forward to welcoming you back

Andrew Mosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Arabic first
Godalming, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We arrived, and our room wasn't quite ready, so decided to sit in the bar and have a drink and snack. The waitress serving us took the time to have a really good chat, very friendly. Obviously loves her job, and enjoys working in the hotel. It was quite refreshing!
Went up to our room - we had one Deluxe King rooms of the with a large balcony overlooking the sea. The room was beautiful, comfortable and delightfully furnished - We had a sofa to enjoy the freshly made breakfast, a desk with the high speed ethernet internet, and then a separate table at which to work or relax whilst looking over the sea. Plenty of space to relax in. The TV was large, and had cable - so no getting bored on the bad weather days of Brighton. The bathroom had everything you could want.
The concierge staff couldn't do more to help us, same with the housekeeping - nothing was too much to ask.

The only downside, we stayed here a few nights, but the first was a very, very stormy night - and discovered the balcony doors weren't quite shutting properly, but maintenance took a look at that for us the next day.

Looking forward to staying here again, we loved it.

Room Tip: Go higher up the building on the seafront - fantastic views!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and think your review pretty much sums up what we strive to deliver at The Grand - good food, a chance to relax and warm and friendly service. It's always very rewarding to hear from guests when we get it right.

I am also pleased to see you treated yourself to a deluxe sea view ugraded room - many of our guests comment that they are well worth the extra money.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I haven't stayed at the Grand Hotel in Brighton for about 18 months so I was delighted to find some very important improvements. The entire hotel has been re-furbished to a very high standard indeed. Bedrooms now have large flat screen tv and are decorated in a manner that befits a 5 Star hotel. Every member of staff we met was absolutely superb. In the bar they also produced some of the finest cocktails I have ever tasted. Despite this now being a 100% genuine 5 star hotel we couldn't fault the value for money. Our dinner in the restaurant was utterly superb and included good wine at a very reasonable price. The breakfast always one of the high points of a stay at The Grand even surpassed all previous stays. The mangement team at this hotel deserve hearty congratulations for offering a product that truly lives up to and surpasses all expectations. Well done everyone.

Room Tip: Subscribe to De Vere hotels website for amazing offers year round
Thank you for posting your reply on Trip Advisor

I am delighted that you had such a great stay in one of newly refurbished bedrooms (recently completed as part of an ongoing programme).

But furthermore I am so pleased that you were impressed by the other elements of your stay which we continuously work hard on getting right - staff, service, breakfast and restaurant to name but a few

Thank you again for taking time to post your remarks and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand again soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Undoubtedly a fantastic place to stay. A beautiful old building with lots of character. I did feel however that there are a few areas that need attention. I'm fairly certain that when we stayed last night, a Friday in January, the hotel was fairly empty. I had booked a standard room and I suppose a room with nothing but the view of a dim light well was what I'd paid for. The management however should in my opinion think of the customer. What better feel good factor is there for a guest to be greeted with "we've given you an upgrade to a sea view room"? It costs the hotel nothing.

As to the room, it was pleasant enough with a very comfortable bed with lovely Egyptian cotton bed-linen. I didn't however appreciate spending the first half an hour of my stay waiting whilst the maintenance staff changed a light bulb and changed the mini fridge which wasn't working. If I found these faults immediately, why weren't they picked up by the staff?

The bath room was pleasant but a little dated and the shower was fixed at a height about 150mm lower than my head with low pressure. Using the shower resulted in pooled water on the bathroom floor!

The bar area is lovely and full of character with beautiful plaster work. I expect high bar prices in a 5* hotel but wouldn't pay £31 for a bottle of my favourite wine, Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc, when my wine merchant stocks it at £6.

Breakfast is served in the beautiful conservatory which was absolutely magical in the strong winter sun. The smoked haddock and poached egg were perfect, but the bacon from the buffet was dried up and chewy.

Although this sounds like a bad review, I think this is a lovely hotel and a great place to stay but it needs a little bit of improvement in some areas.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear of the hotel seem to be pretty dark. If you can afford it, get a sea facing r...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor

I am very pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and rest assured I have also noted the constructive feedback you have provided us with in order to improve what we do for future guests.

Your "headline" says it all and there is no doubt that The Grand is a beautiful building, which celebrates being150 years old in 2014. A few creaks and groans inevitably come with a place that old but I am pleased that you enjoyed the ambience and wonderful surroundings

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Well this place is like stepping into a time warp back to the 1940s. This may be attractive to some but the darkness, fixtures and fittings, and rooms were not for me. The only two good points for me was the attitude of the staff, which was brilliant, and the TV's were all in HD! We stayed as a business group for the week on the current deal and all rooms had dated rooms, dirty wallpaper, rusty fittings in the bathrooms, no wifi that i could pick up and the iron and board in the rooms was unusable. To top it all the parking was 26 pounds a night! If I had paid the full price for this hotel I would have been really disappointed. We did ask if we could cancel our booking but due to the deal we couldn't without having to pay the full price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Burgessking
AMGMDGB, General Manager at The Grand Brighton, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Dear Tom

Thank you very much for contacting me personally as requested following my previous response to your comments on Trip Advisor

I was a pleasure talking with you on the phone and I am very pleased to have offered you my personal apologies. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel in the near future

Andrew

Guildford
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We had my partners birthday here, with friends in the restaurant. We hired our own musician, which they allowed us to bring along and we were seated in the Grand conservatory, which is beautifully lit in blue. We had a window seat and made to feel welcome with very charming young waiters and waitresses from around the world.
Surprisingly good value food and our friends have been back for afternoon tea since.
I havnt tried the rooms yet so cannot comment.
I would add my only complaint is that I feel a little money could be spent on the cloakrooms and the bar area, which look like they havnt had a refurb for many years.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind comments following your partners birthday.

I am delighted that you had a great time and managed to enjoy the wonderful surroundings of the Kings Terrace in our Kings restaurant . So many of our guests comment that they enjoy their time sitting watching the world go by and the views of the sea. I am also very pleased to hear that the staff looked after you.

We hope to welcome you back to The Grand Hotel soon and, in the meantime, I hope you will keep persuading your friends to come and try the Kings Restaurant and Victoria Lounge

Confolens, France
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Had a good value break including breakfasts, and an evening meal. The meal was rather dissapointing we chose the lobster spring rolls which looked like they came from Icelands, and expensive for what they were. I had the fillet beef which was a round steak oddly cut into 3 pieces resulting it being dry and tasteless. The portions were small. The cheese course was very good.

The wine list was good with some good value choices.

The breakfast were good, but we did have to return our poached egg twice owing to it being undercooked then overlooked.

The room was clean, with a comfortable bed, but the room had no view at all, both windows were none see through, and outside below was a very loud air con system ( perhaps for the entire hotel?).

Room Tip: Ask location of room, and description, and what views?
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.

I am sorry that there were one or two negative aspects to your stay.

In terms of the food I can assure you that any comments we receive about menu are considered when we next make changes - normally every 3 months or so. Generally we receive very good feedback, underpinned by the team being awarded our first rosette at the end of last year, but we accept there is always room for improvement.

It is fair to say that room types do vary at The Grand most notably due to a sea view or an inland view - and of course this is reflected in quite significant prices differences. However I am pleased that the room was still cleaned to your satisfaction, the bed was comfortable and you considered your break to be good value for money.

regards