“The Grand Hotel is worth staying at”
Review of The Grand Brighton

The Grand Brighton
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I recently helped my daughter to arrange her small intimate family wedding at the Grand Hotel in Brighton. We were slightly concerned when we read bad reports about the hotel as regards its general state and overall cleanliness so made arrangements to see other venues as well. We decided to hold the wedding at the Grand and are very glad we did, because of the following:

Yes it does need in some parts of a bit of tlc, however, the rooms booked for guests and others we saw were all clean and definitely acceptable as were all other public areas. The bridal suite was delightful and as you would expect in the top grade.

During our many visits to the hotel, all staff were attentive and caring (not all knowing that we were potential customers). They have obviously been trained that the customers needs come first.

If you want a bland ‘plastic’ soulless hotel, then don’t pick the Grand, but if you want a quintessential English stay, where the beds are comfortable and the bedding made of natural materials, where staff treat you as if you really matter; and whilst the ‘Grand Old Lady’ in parts could do with some work, overall it is delightful and I would strongly recommend the Grand Hotel Brighton.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Hollypal

Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed one night at The Grand with a special deal for B&B and were pleasantly surprised. The reception staff were very polite and friendly. Our room was beautiful with a (sideways) sea view and a magnificent bed. It was so quiet we thought we were the only people on our floor ! Breakfast was the best I have ever experienced at any hotel, you name it and they had it. The cooked food was fresh and delicious, a real treat. Highly recommended.

1  Thank LouiseKent35
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I was really really disappointed with my stay at the Grand. We had a really tired, dreary and noisy room. One bedside cabinet was clearly missing as there was just this big space next to one side of the bed. A hugh wooden cabinet ate up space on the other side of the bed and housed the TV so you had to lie on your side to watch it. The TV must have been 20 years old - when I stay in a hotel with this reputation and pay these prices I expect a half decent flat screen TV these days and mounted in a sensible viewing position as well. The room was really hot with a noisy air conditioning unit with the option of on or off - no temperate control. Again, I expect this in a hotel of this supposed standard. I think it was older than the TV. And call me pedantic if you want but I would have preferred not to angle myself onto the loo in order to manoever my legs around the towel rail that was fixed to the wall immediately next to it! And I loved the fact that my feedback card left for my comments had a huge stain on it where I think the previous guest had used it as a beer mat! When I checked in there was a tray outside an adjacent room where the guest had finised their room service. It was still there seven hours later. Fortunately the corridors had better air conditioning than my room so the tray of leftovers didn't smell too much. And beware paying for anything by credit card -they have the cheek to charge you £2.50 for the priviledge each time - just outrageous on top of their already lumpy prices. Finally, we parked for two nights (midweek) in the NCP car park directly behind the hotel for £20 per 24 hours and had no problems at all - as opposed to £26 per night with the hotel. Never again unless I become a politician and get a freebie at the party conference..!!

1  Thank Alfie_FD
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Having read the reviews on here I was a little weary of paying the high prices here but having stayed here now I dont regret it. It is steeped in history and does certainly rest on these laurels. Yes the rooms are a little tired but it does add to the character of the place, rooms were clean and comfortable. Bad points - Had to wait until 1550 for the room, receptionist said she would call when the room was ready but she didnt. Car Park was full, we phoned concierge to book a restaurant for us but there was no answer, the bar is very expensive and served me warm Magners at £5.50 a bottle! But having said all that I did enjoy being part of this magnificient establishment, breakfast was very good, the waiting staff were very professional, get there early and you'll get a sea view table. They were fully booked when we went over the bank holiday but they did lay on plenty of staff so it didnt feel full. Go there with an open mind and enjoy it for what it is. Unless we get a balcony room we wont go again as our room 720 was very nice except for the having no balcony and this would have made a big difference as the sun was glorious all weekend.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are a must!
1  Thank wazadaza
Reviewed April 25, 2011

First impressions : Staff seemed very friendly and polite. It was worth paying £26 for the car parking so that I didn't have to bother with trying to find parking space. Late check in 3pm seemed a bit too late but we easily managed to kill an hour in Brighton.

Hotel Room: very disappointed with the hotel room as it seemed lacklustre and out dated. The TV set must have been from the eighties, why they couldn't spend a couple of hundred pounds on a flat screen is beyond me. The bathroom shower head didn't want to move and i found my self having to contort my body in order to get a decent amount of water to fall on me.

It was very hot last night and having discovered that there was no air con in the room i asked for a fan to be sent up as we were also getting bitten by little bugs in the room. This was sent very quickly.

I would definitely not recommend this hotel (until they get some air - con ) during the warmer months as my wife and I had the worst sleep for ages due to the heat.

The breakfast was a little better than average but we did not enjoy it much as we had not slept very well.
On the plus side I found all the staff are very good, attentive and polite.

Room Tip: don't book if it's going to be hot weather
2  Thank hhayer
Reviewed April 25, 2011

As we were celebrating my husband's 60th birthday we pushed the boat out and booked two De Luxe King Seaview rooms for ourselves and our daughter and son-in-law. The rooms which were next to each other were large, in good decorative order, and had balconies. One room had a four poster and the other had a very large king size bed. Both very comfortable. There was a fridge in the room. It only contained two small bottles of water but it was very useful all the same. Bathrooms were a reasonable size with two sinks, bath and separate shower. Everything was in good working order and the standard of cleanliness was high. We paid £355 per room for one night dinner bed and breakfast. The bed and breakfast price was £315 per room and the dinner bed and breakfast package entitles you to £27 per person towards the a la carte menu. Kings restaurant is not as atmospheric as I had expected but the food and service at dinner were both very good. The food at breakfast was also excellent, though it is self service. Apart from our rooms my favourite part of the hotel was the magnificent staircase. Was it value for money? For a special occasion yes I think it was. It was lovely to stand out on the balcony on a beautiful sunny evening sipping champagne and gazing out to sea.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank KitKatView
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We booked adjoining rooms so we could keep an eye/ear on the kids. The rooms were large and comfortable, while the communal areas were all suitably grand. However there were a number of small issues, mainly around the electrics. So for example, not all of our light switches worked, the fridge was broken in one room, and there was no where to plug in the kettle. I also would take issue with the parking costs £16 overnight; I would expect this to be part of the room cost.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family