“Fascinating place but overpriced?”
Review of Sea Life Brighton

and up
Cycling Tour of Brighton City
Ranked #13 of 163 things to do in Brighton
More attraction details
Owner description: Two years running 2014 and 2015 winner of 'The Best Place to Visit in Brighton & Hove' - Brighton and Hove Business Awards 2014 & 2015 Visit the world's oldest operating aquarium, right here in Brighton! Based opposite the iconic pier, SEA LIFE Brighton was built in 1872 and features 3,500 memorising creatures including turtles and sharks. For an additional cost you can admire our resident giant Sea Turtles Gulliver and Lulu, sharks, turtles, rays and tropical fish as they swim under your feet on the UK's first indoor glass-bottom boat. Take a look at our Behind The Scenes on an interactive experience which will immerse you into our working world. See first-hand how we care for over 3,500 sea creatures. With over 40 other world class displays we can ensure you will have an amazing discovery throughout your underwater dive. Don't forget to keep an eye out on our website for events throughout the year. We are open daily from 10am, with last admission from 4pm depending on time of year.
Whangarei, New Zealand
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Fascinating place but overpriced?”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

One of the world's oldest surviving aquariums (1872) with a modern makeover. Traditionalists won't like the coloured light show but will love the Victorian architecture. There's something for everyone, though much signage is child-oriented. A piece of English history brought up to date. My only reservation would be the price, double that of the sublime Royal Pavilion just up the road. But I guess aquariums are expensive to run.

Visited February 2014
Max L, General Manager at Sea Life Brighton, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Hello Chris, as you identified we have tried to merge modern technology with Victorian architecture, to provide a magical experience for all ages. You are correct in your observation about the difference in price between running a museum and the oldest aquarium in the world, and although expensive we do offer great value for money once you are inside

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“rip off prices”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

it was £70 for 2 adults and 3 children. with vouchers reduced to £59. Found out later normal price on-line only £50!. It was not very busy when we were there so no justification for exorbitant prices for paying on the door. Young staff a bit stroppy when questioned about prices. Went round in about an hour. Glass bottom boat would have had to pay more cash for (again no queue of people waiting to go on it so feels like a further con when you get there and are asked for more cash). Sorry but more fun walking along sea front for free.

Visited February 2014
Thank you for your recent visit and review. I am sorry you did not benefit from the online discounts available in advance, but hopefully following our recent emails you have a better understanding of the reasons behind the online discounts that you refer too. I am sorry that you found one of our staff members stroppy. We pride ourselves in exceptional service levels, so I will continue to monitor your comment to ensure our standards don't slip. Our average dwell time is about 2 hours, so I am disappointed your visit was a little short.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing fishy about it!”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

By nothing fishy, I mean it was standard aquarium with nothing too crazy but a great day out none the less!

There is an acrobatic shark in the open tank which scared the life out of us but other than that it was really relaxing just watching all the big fish and turtles in their tanks.

Only thing is it's a bit pricey but you can save by booking online in advance

Visited February 2014
Max L, General Manager at Sea Life Brighton, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hi Kath, great advice to everyone about the online discounts. I am pleased you loved your visit. I think the acrobatic shark only performed for you, because I have had a look and I don't have your luck. Visit again soon
West Sussex
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Not your ordinary Sea Life Centre”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I will say right now that I remember this place as the Brighton Dolphinarium when I was a kid, and there are 20-30 year olds out there who remember it too.

The thing is, the site Sealife Brighton is now on has so much history. It's not a newly built or pop-up attraction. Even without research you can admire the architecture and mechanics of the construction. Dig a little deeper with you own research online and it will open up history you couldn't imagine!

Take in everything you can whilst here. I will agree with comments here that the 'eye' boat is a bit pricey and no discount for pass holders - it's a bit steep.

Just take your time going around - don't rush - enjoy.

Visited December 2013
Max L, General Manager at Sea Life Brighton, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thanks for your recent review, and your nostalgic memories about the Dolphins in the past. We never tire of hearing stories about our unique history. Your top tip about slowing down to take in the architecture as well as the wonderful fish is something that I am sure everyone will appreciate. The glass bottom boat is one of the best scoring elements when it comes to value for money following our market research, but I am happy to look at discounts for pass holders in the future.
UK
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good for kids apart from cafe”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

We visited the sea life for my daughters second birthday. It was great for younger kids as they could run around and look at the fish!
The cafe was a disappointment as they didn't cater for children!
Was good value as we had a 2 for 1 offer.

Visited January 2014
Max L, General Manager at Sea Life Brighton, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I am delighted that you benefitted from the 241 offer but for your next visit check out our online offers as they can sometimes add even better value.

I take your point about the café range for children, and on some days this range does sell out early as everything is bought in fresh every day. During holiday periods the range is normally greater due to increased demand.